“Great Father's Day Lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Los Angeles, California
“Great Father's Day Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My wife and I were in Boil Heights to take flowers to her Father. As we were only 6 miles from Cook's we decided to make a day of it. This is the second time we've stopped at Cook's. There food is ALWAYS delicious, fairly priced and the service is friendly. My wife had the Cubana sandwich (#59) and she loved it, in fact she had the 2nd half for lunch the next day. I had the Ahogada (#10), a VERY spicy pulled pork sandwich. I like spicy and I was not disappointed. In fact, the cashier, only worked at the restaurant for 3 weeks asked me to review the sandwich for him. He said he liked spicy but hadn't had the chance. I let him know, it is a tremendous spicy delicious sandwich. There were no left overs to take home!

• Visited June 2014

Huntsville, Alabama
“I love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Had the lengue sandwich (beef tongue) which is an unusual menu item, but it was excellent. the meat was tender and the bread and vegetables on it were excelllent. Really enjoyed the tabbouleh side - obviously good ingredients. Topped it off with the Strawberry Agua Fresca which was perfect. I go every time I get to Monterey Park

• Visited May 2014
San Diego
“A great little place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

I found this place while driving through Monterey Park. It is not a large place. Dining area maybe seats 20 people. The menu is kind of an eclectic blend of different foods with a Mexican twist. the owners do a decent job of maintaining the quality of the food. They bake their bread fresh each day. The service is awesome and the prices are reasonable. My favorite menu item is the Po Boy Torta. It is loaded with fresh shrimp and avocado. The salads are also very good. This is a great place to stop if you are on the way to LA. But make sure you go at the off peak hours. It gets very crowded for lunch.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

The Tortas and the agua frescas are delicious. They aren't the typical Mexican Tortas or aguas frescas but their version on these two items are impressive.

I've the asada and chorizo torta (#50... I think?) and it was delicious. It's definitely shareable too
I've also had the BBQ chicken salad. Huge portion and flavorful too.
The aguas frescas are all so yummy! They combine different flavors which make the drink very refreshing and interesting

• Visited August 2013
So Cal
“Not authentic Mexican, but still a great meal to have”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I have to say it's good and satisfies the taste buds. This place is popular even with the local Asian community who would usually stick to the Asian eats in this area. If you are a foodie, you've gone here many times. I'll say I do enjoy the food, but I realize that if I want a real torta, I need to go into the real barrio and have some grease. The tortas here are priced higher than any "Tortas Sinaloa, Michoacan or Mexico" place that would probably be scary for a "foodie " to try. Also, this is the same ownership as Guisados.

Basically, this Cooks is tourist friendly and the food is appetizing for anyone who's trying it the first time. But keep in mind, if you go to a real Mexican place, it won't be as nice or as healthy.

• Visited October 2012