“I love this place!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch
Huntsville, Alabama
“I love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Had the lengue sandwich (beef tongue) which is an unusual menu item, but it was excellent. the meat was tender and the bread and vegetables on it were excelllent. Really enjoyed the tabbouleh side - obviously good ingredients. Topped it off with the Strawberry Agua Fresca which was perfect. I go every time I get to Monterey Park

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

San Diego
“A great little place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

I found this place while driving through Monterey Park. It is not a large place. Dining area maybe seats 20 people. The menu is kind of an eclectic blend of different foods with a Mexican twist. the owners do a decent job of maintaining the quality of the food. They bake their bread fresh each day. The service is awesome and the prices are reasonable. My favorite menu item is the Po Boy Torta. It is loaded with fresh shrimp and avocado. The salads are also very good. This is a great place to stop if you are on the way to LA. But make sure you go at the off peak hours. It gets very crowded for lunch.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

The Tortas and the agua frescas are delicious. They aren't the typical Mexican Tortas or aguas frescas but their version on these two items are impressive.

I've the asada and chorizo torta (#50... I think?) and it was delicious. It's definitely shareable too
I've also had the BBQ chicken salad. Huge portion and flavorful too.
The aguas frescas are all so yummy! They combine different flavors which make the drink very refreshing and interesting

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
So Cal
“Not authentic Mexican, but still a great meal to have”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I have to say it's good and satisfies the taste buds. This place is popular even with the local Asian community who would usually stick to the Asian eats in this area. If you are a foodie, you've gone here many times. I'll say I do enjoy the food, but I realize that if I want a real torta, I need to go into the real barrio and have some grease. The tortas here are priced higher than any "Tortas Sinaloa, Michoacan or Mexico" place that would probably be scary for a "foodie " to try. Also, this is the same ownership as Guisados.

Basically, this Cooks is tourist friendly and the food is appetizing for anyone who's trying it the first time. But keep in mind, if you go to a real Mexican place, it won't be as nice or as healthy.

• Visited October 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Who knew this existed in 91754?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I feel embarrassed to say this was the first time I ate at Cook's Tortas. I grew up in Monterey Park and passed by CT countless of times. It was packed on a Sunday afternoon. Every table was occupado and there were at least 15 people in line. I decided to stick with carne asada (cashier told me this was the most popular) and got sweet potato fries as my side. Delish! Though I might want to eat there instead of takeout. The other sides are visible thru the glass case - potato and macaroni salad, etc. Get salsa on the side to spice it up a bit. The music was too loud for my taste. I want to bring my older relatives here but we would be shouting at each other! Next time for me is the Diablo!

• Visited July 2013