“Great for families, nice pool and gardens” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Munras Hotel & Spa

You added Casa Munras Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Casa Munras Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   700 Munras Ave, Monterey, CA 93940 (Formerly Casa Munras, A Larkspur Collection Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #23 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
huntington beach, ca
“Great for families, nice pool and gardens”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2008

Sure, all Monterey hotels are overpriced on certain weekends - like during the Big Sur Marathon. I wanted something within walking distance of the shuttle and attractions, without springing for the Mariott or Portola. I am VERY pleased with Casa Munras.

PROS - pool, room amenities, staff, free parking, excellent location, gardens, extras (good coffe, apples, evening cookies)
CONS - seasonally pricey, may not get parking next to room, some noise in high-traffic areas

We travelled with two children - ages 1 and 3. The kids loved the pool, walking the beautiful gradens, jumping on our comfy beds... everything, really. It was handy to have a fridge, internet, and DVD player in the room. Despite the negative reviews I've read, our room was quiet and spacious. (There are pink tiles in the bathroom, but get a life, guys - must we complain about everything?) Most of the hotel remodel seems finished.

The location is great - close to a shopping center with Trader Joes, easy walk to Alverado street and the Pier - less than half a mile. We walk a lot, so we literally did not move our car all weekend. (The hotel's free parking lot got somewhat crowded, since all rooms were full .) For those with kids, Dennis the Menace park is AMAZING and a close walk.

The heated pool is GREAT (85 to 90 degrees, and open until 9)- probably better than the nicer hotels. No hot tub or bathrooms, though. (They are building a seperate spa facility that should have these and more.) The staff is wonderful. Our requests for early check-in, a quiet room, a crib, and late check out were all honored, plus everyone was very friendly. The grounds are beautiful. Esteban looks fantastic (not too great for small kids, so we didn't go). Morning coffee is delicious, and there are free apples all day plus tea and cookies in the evening.

I suspect the negative reviews may be a conspiracy to keep people away and prices down - it is only the cheapskape in me that withholds 5stars. (We paid $200 a night, with AAA discount, so slightly less than Mariott and Hyatt, but enjoyed it more.)

• Liked — pool
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2008

Booked one night stay through Travelzoo special. The front desk man was very gracious and called us immediately to notify us when the room was ready (we arrived early).

Motel style hotel. Room was a nice size, clean, and decorated well. Love the whole shutters look and of course the bed was super comfy. Enjoyed the bottle of wine that was in the room (part of special) and Mighty Leaf tea bags. I did hear some stomping from the people above for a minute and as people walk by your room you can hear them, but they can't really do anything about that.....

Only regret was staying there for one night.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Burbank, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

We had originally booked two nights at the Hyatt across town, but I found a deal for 1 night here, and moved over the second night. Man, am I glad I did!! The Hyatt was a DUMP...this place is clean, staff is friendly (especially Mike at the front desk), the restaurant was deliocious, the room was clean neat, the location was perfect for us...oh, and they allow dogs. It was great. I've recommended it to friends of mine going up there, and they loved it, too.

• Disliked — A little far from The Cannery
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Washington State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Casa Munras (CM) for a romantic getaway from Thursday 3/27 to Monday 3/31. Overall, CM was very nice marked by great customer service, excellent morning pastries,, coffee, and tea, evening tea and cookies, and a recently updated restaurant and lobby to give it a nice modern feel. The only drawbacks were the fairly thin walls and ceiling that probably would bother a light sleeper (not me).

We booked CM at a rate of $119 for 2 nights and $139 for the other two for a non-fireplace King bed about six weeks in advance under their Spring Special. For the price, I thought CM was a good value in comparison to other available choices during the booking/research phase. However, given its downtown location (near Fisherman's Wharf but away from touristy Cannery Row) I don't think I'd be as inclined to spend $200+ night if you can't get a discounted rate.

Upon check-in, the front desk was very cordial and attendant to our needs. After check-in, they called right after we arrived at our room to make sure all was well. The lobby, with an attached tapas restaurant (Estebans), was very nice and appeared to be recently updated.

CM is not laid out like a "hotel"-- more like an updated motel with a few unattached 1 and 2 story buildings linked together by a winding drive with parking spots in front of the rooms. Separately there is a heated pool (82 degrees) which is nicely maintained and was great for an afternoon dip even for a brisk 60 degree day. Across from the main building which houses the lobby, restaurant, and meeting rooms, is a building which is being renovated and will become a spa. The spa should be a nice addition but hopefully not an excuse to raise rates too much.

The room was well appointed with a sizeable bathroom containing a nice stand-up glass shower enclosure with attached tub. The room had a coffeemaker with complimentary tea and coffee as well as free high speed internet. (For those without laptops, there was a 2 station free business center with printer next to the lobby.) The room was fine with only one major drawback: thin walls. We were in room 514 (downstairs part of a two story building, room number is deceiving). You could hear people walking above and adjacent bathroom water noise. If you are a light sleeper I think this would bother you (not me).

As for location, it was adequate to support a nice weekend in Monterey. My wife and I could walk to Fisherman's Wharf which was ten minutes away (about .3 miles). We like to walk so we also walked up to Cannery Row. To the end of Cannery Row (where the Aquarium is located) is 3 miles one way from CM. We used a rental car to explore beyond the city to great places like Point Lobos State Park in Carmel and Pt. Sur Light Station near Big Sur. It was a great getaway for the wife and I, just what we needed!

If you are looking for a solid and nice hotel option, I recommend CM if you can get a good rate. With that said, I probably won't go out of my way to book there again next time we decide to visit Monterey.

I'll post separately on our restaurant trips, but nearby the hotel I highly recommend the Siamese Bay Thai Restaurant on Webster Street one block over from the hotel. As for CM's Estebans, we liked the Tapas format but it was a bit overpriced for what you received in my opinion. Peet's coffee and Trader Joe's were nearby the hotel as well as Denny's for breakfast although we didnt go. Additionally, there were several other local restaurants and British pubs within a couple of blocks of the hotel.

• Liked — Friendly staff, really good morning pastries and evening tea/cookies
  • Disliked — Thin walls and ceiling
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Ypsilanti, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

I stayed here four nights on business in October 2007. After reading other reviews here on tripadvisor, I was slightly nervous about staying here. I shouldn't have been. I booked a fireplace king after reading that fireplace rooms were larger than other room types. Room 222 was nicely appointed, if strangely laid out, with a workspace tucked away in an alcove that didn't face the rest of the room. The Larkspur bedding environment exceeded my expectations, and my room was equipped with a newer Boston radio that was an absolute pleasure to wake up to with its superior sound and MP3 player input (a cable was provided by the property to connect my player to the radio).

The exercise room was the nicest I've ever encountered, with individual TVs for each piece of equipment. Continental breakfast, with fresh local fruit, infused water, and pastry may seem plain compared to some but was perfect for me. Free cookies in the evening were a pleasure to return to after a long day of attending conference sessions. The newly-renovated lobby and complimentary 24-hour business center (with free color printing) were beautiful. I didn't get to use the heated pool, but did enjoy the outdoor fire pit every evening I was there. Staff were exceptionally friendly, especially registration desk agent Sebastian who provided an outstanding welcome to an exceptional stay.

The stay was not without problems. Housekeeping was sub-par, and wireless internet, while free, never worked in my room (though I was able to connect in the lobby and its surrounding areas). I personally would have appreciated more counter space in the bathroom. My room's heater, despite have an actual thermostat, only seemed to be either on or off relative to the same spot on the thermostat's dial regardless of the room temperature relative to the thermostat's setting.

Other useful information: It's about a 10 minute walk to the convention center (I made it in around 8, but I'm a fast walker!), and there are many nice places to eat within walking distance of the property on Alvarado St. Cannery Row, farther away, is also walkable though I elected to drive there. There's a recreation path right along the bay that was enjoyable, and the tourist trap called Fisherman's Wharf is only a minute or two's walk beyond the convention center.

I will stay here again the next time business or pleasure takes me to Monterey.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
Albers, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

We just returned from a wonderful trip to Monterey, CA. Our experience was helped tremendously by the staff at Casa Munras. From the reservation process and Mike's help, to getting directions after taking the wrong turn from Sebastian, to personal calls to check on us and our room satisfaction from Ryan, the friendly cleaning staff, fantastic locally grown apples waiting for us at all times, the recommendations from many front desk staff whose names I didn't get, to the checkout process. All was wonderful and we highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — no room service, YET
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Campbell
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2008

A guiet spot 2 blocks from downtown, extremely friendly, helpful staff. Our room overlooked the pool, tasteful decor, good amenities, romantic atmosphere. I will definately be staying with Casa Munras again.

• Liked — The perfect spot to enjoy a night away
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Casa Munras Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!