Sure, all Monterey hotels are overpriced on certain weekends - like during the Big Sur Marathon. I wanted something within walking distance of the shuttle and attractions, without springing for the Mariott or Portola. I am VERY pleased with Casa Munras.
PROS - pool, room amenities, staff, free parking, excellent location, gardens, extras (good coffe, apples, evening cookies)
CONS - seasonally pricey, may not get parking next to room, some noise in high-traffic areas
We travelled with two children - ages 1 and 3. The kids loved the pool, walking the beautiful gradens, jumping on our comfy beds... everything, really. It was handy to have a fridge, internet, and DVD player in the room. Despite the negative reviews I've read, our room was quiet and spacious. (There are pink tiles in the bathroom, but get a life, guys - must we complain about everything?) Most of the hotel remodel seems finished.
The location is great - close to a shopping center with Trader Joes, easy walk to Alverado street and the Pier - less than half a mile. We walk a lot, so we literally did not move our car all weekend. (The hotel's free parking lot got somewhat crowded, since all rooms were full .) For those with kids, Dennis the Menace park is AMAZING and a close walk.
The heated pool is GREAT (85 to 90 degrees, and open until 9)- probably better than the nicer hotels. No hot tub or bathrooms, though. (They are building a seperate spa facility that should have these and more.) The staff is wonderful. Our requests for early check-in, a quiet room, a crib, and late check out were all honored, plus everyone was very friendly. The grounds are beautiful. Esteban looks fantastic (not too great for small kids, so we didn't go). Morning coffee is delicious, and there are free apples all day plus tea and cookies in the evening.
I suspect the negative reviews may be a conspiracy to keep people away and prices down - it is only the cheapskape in me that withholds 5stars. (We paid $200 a night, with AAA discount, so slightly less than Mariott and Hyatt, but enjoyed it more.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay Authentic. Historic Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa is located in the Old-Town heart of the picturesque coastal town of Monterey. True to its Spanish heritage, this hacienda-inspired hotel embraces its outdoor spaces while beckoning guests to the warm comforts of their living quarters. A short stroll to Historic Old Monterey or the world famous Fisherman's Wharf, Casa Munras Hotel & Spa is ideally located near many of the Central California region's most visited attractions - coastal California at its best. Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa strives to offer a personalized experience tailored to guest's individual needs and interests, from complimentary wireless high speed Internet, DVD players and movie libraries, to a full service business center and a knowledgeable concierge program. Whether traveling on business or enjoying a well-deserved vacation, the Casa Munras Hotel & Spa offers a wide array of amenities to make your stay comfortable and memorable. Guests can "sip, savor and share" Spanish-inspired tapas at the hotel's on-property restaurant, Esteban. Serving traditional dishes with a pinch of adventure, Esteban is the ideal place for a sit down dinner or socializing with friends. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, TIG Global, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Casa Munras Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Larkspur Collection Casa Munras
- Larkspur Collection Monterey
- Casa Munras Garden Hotel