“Don't go here - go to Hotel Abrego instead” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Munras Hotel & Spa

You added Casa Munras Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Casa Munras Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   700 Munras Ave, Monterey, CA 93940 (Formerly Casa Munras, A Larkspur Collection Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #23 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Richmond, California
“Don't go here - go to Hotel Abrego instead”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I did myself in on this one. I was suckered in by the very cute outside landscaping and I typicallyl like Larkspur properties but this one was a hum dinger. It is very noisy - I heard my neighbor snoring at 1:00 am. Every person who spoke in the parking lot sounded like they were right outside my window. The first room we were placed me in was next to the very busy maid's station. I asked to be moved and then realized every room was noisy. The bathroom is so small the only way two people can fit in it at the same time is when one is in the shower. They have a pool but the jacuzzi is only for those who care to pay for $100 spa treatment - no day spa fees. I called and asked if they had a day spa fee like many finer resorts do (this was a Monday, and the hotel had about 8 guests staying there) and she said, "unfortunately no." I said, "have you ever thought of changing the policy especially during the week?" She said, "um no, and we do have some guests today."

I should have stayed at the Hotel Abrego - bigger rooms, nicer employees, it's very quiet, it has a pool and jacuzzi for all guests to use. Go there instead or go someplace else not this obnoxious money pit.

Room Tip: Don't go here - go to the Hotel Abrego
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
sabrinajs, Front Office Manager at Casa Munras Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Jane,
I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. It sounds like your reservation was for one of our smaller "Cozy Queen" rooms. We do have a variety of room types at our property and I am confident that given another opportunity we would be able to improve upon your experience. Should you be willing to give our hotel another try or should you like to discuss your stay any further please contact me directly.

831-233-7902

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Sonoma, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

This old hotel has had some remodeling done and it is a good choice for the moderate rate! We liked the central location, close to Carmel, Monterey, Pacific Grove and Pebble Beach! Our room was very quiet and spacious!

Room Tip: Single story rooms with a king bed and fireplace are a better choice!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying and for your review.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Casa Munras, and thank you for including a traveler tip. We have some great off season rates and packages kicking in should you decide to come back to see us again.

Casa Munras Hotel & Spa
Windsor, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Hotel is clean and newer but not too fancy. Front desk very friendly and helpful. It is close to the main street for shops and restaurants and a short walk from the pier and beach. Trader Joe's and coffee shops close by which is good too.

I wouldn't choose it for a romantic getaway but for the average tourist that wants a nice clean hotel in a good location then this for you.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review and for mentioning the front desk staff. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location. Please come back and stay with us again.

Sabinra Siino
Monterey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

A group of us (6 total), all locals, booked Spa appointment's to celebrate a birthday. Upon arrival the clerk greeted us, seemed a little shy, but very nice none the less. This was my first time at the Sano Spa and I was actually really excited to experience this spa. I was given a key for my locker and upon opening it there was NO robe, No towel, No spa slippers; my friend’s locker had all this provided in her locker. Ok... so no big deal there weren't these items in my locker as they were accessible in a shelf above the lockers (very hard to reach). Before walking out to the Jacuzzi tub we asked for a simple cheese plate order, this was around 6:15pm. The clerk handed us a glass of the champagne from the champagne we provided for all of us ladies. The other girls began to arrive, one of which did not receive her champagne and after asking several times for this to be brought out I jumped out of the Jacuzzi to walk back into the Spa and obtain the glass myself. At the same time I inquired about the cheese plate ordered earlier as it was now 6:45pm and the clerk said, "Oh yeah let me check with the Chef, I know they are very busy in the restaurant right now." 3 of the ladies spa appointment were to begin at 7pm and the other 3 were to begin at 8pm. We had stressed that we were hungry and wanted the cheese snack for all of us over hold us over until dinner. By 7:50pm my friend and I walked over to the clerk again and asked about the cheese plate at which time she advised us that the restaurant does not make cheese plates. She added that she had been trying to call the restaurant but no one would answer the phone. What?!?! We were obviously frustrated, hungry and not happy. Why did the clerk wait all this time before informing us that there was NO option for a cheese plate order when we had ordered it initially at 6:15pm? Finally someone brought over a menu so that we could at least order tapas, but at this point we would not all be able to eat together as the 3 ladies were just finishing their treatments and the 3 of us waiting were now needing to go in for our massages. In any event, an order was placed as we still needed food in our stomachs.

My treatment began at 8pm and being that I obtain massages on a regular basis I informed the masseuse that I would prefer lotion over oil, did not want my head or scalp massaged at all and no lotion and/or oil in my hair, etc. Shared my problem areas with her and now we are ready to begin… I was very much looking forward to this massage as it was much needed after a long week. The massage at best was a 3 rating out of 10. Very nice, pleasant, courteous woman but rather than give me a massage she gave me a rub down. There was barely any pressure provided and none of my knots were worked on! I left the massage feeling the same way I did before arriving. Money spent for this “massage” was a waste.

Once the last three of us were done with our treatments we joined the others to eat some food. The food arrived at some point during our treatments. No napkins provided, only 4 forks provided and when we asked for 2 more forks we were only given 1 extra and informed that they had no other forks.

When we finally celebrated the final part of the birthday with the desserts, the clerk approached us and informed us that the Spa would be closing in 5 minutes… we had just opened our last bottle of champagne in which we could not enjoy as we were now being rushed out.
Would I say this was a good value for money spent? NO. Would I say that the overall experience brought relaxation? NO. This was not a good experience and wasted money spent! I would not recommend this Spa as the overall services was very poor and not guest service oriented. It’s too bad because the Spa itself is very cute but without the proper service, being cute doesn’t cut it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
sabrinajs, Front Office Manager at Casa Munras Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Hello. I am very sorry to hear that you left with a negative experience. In discussing with my team, I am having a difficult time understanding how the events occurred, particularly regarding the food component as that is not a typical offering within our spa. I would like to discuss and hopefully amend the situation at your convenience. You can reach me at sanospa@sanospamonterey.com.

Lauren Itson, Spa Director
Fort Branch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is a beautiful, quiet hotel located in the historic district of Monterey. The room were very cozy and the fireplace made the room nice very inviting after a day of sight-seeing. The pool was a warm 82 degrees. Perfect for swimming on a beautiful cool afternoon. Within walking distance of wonderful shops and restaurants. Take advantage of the front desk persons. They are very knowledgable regarding the area and have free & discount coupons available. Will return again soon.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
sabrinajs, Front Office Manager at Casa Munras Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Thank you so much for your recent stay and review. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and had the opportunity for a dip in our warm pool. The weather this time of year is perfect. You are absolutley right about the front desk staff and I appreciate you mentioning them. They are incredibly helpful, and we do have quite a few VIP and discount offers to local restaurants that our guests can take advantge of. We hope to have you stay with us again.

Sincerely

Casa Munras Hotel and Spa
Portola Hills, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I spent two nights there in one of the larger rooms upstairs in the main building. Wile somewhat $$$, it was a fantastic experience. The room was clean, linens and bedding was way wonderful,, and there was a soaking tub and a fireplace. The bathroom had a large walk in shower, the overall ambiance of this room was simple, soothing and unassuming. The Hotel staff was friendly, forthcoming, professional. Their restaurant Esteban was also a nice experience with excellent service. The food quality and selection was outstanding, except for one small dish that seemed heavy handed on the spices. The grounds are beautiful, well kept, and the outside seating area of the restaurant offers patio heaters and fireplace for colder nights.
The bed was comfortable, amazingly so.

Room Tip: I stayed in 701. Outstanding room. 102 and 103 are also very nice. Stayed there during previous visi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for returning to the Casa Munras, and for your review. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed our Concierge King room 701. That is one of my personal favorites. Thank you for mentioning your good expereince at Esteban restaurant as well. we look forward to your next stay with us.

Casa Munras Hotel and Spa
SF Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Spent two nights here over a holiday weekend - rooms are well appointed and look fairly recently updated. It is just a few blocks walk to groceries and some restaurants. We were over the pool, which gave us somewhat of a view, but a tiny bit noisy (not the fault of the hotel, but of the noisy guests). Staff was very nice and helpful. Note: If you want a refrigerator in the room, suggest you arrange beforehand (seems to not be a problem, but when they get busy, might be an issue). Overall, very pleasant and would go there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your holiday weekend stay here. Thank you for mentioning the refrigerator. All of our rooms except for our smaller Cozy Queen rooms come equipped with a refrigerator automatically. In our Cozy Queen rooms we are always happy to deliver a fridge upon request, though as you mentioned it is very helpful if you let us know in advance. We hope to have you stay with us again.

Casa Munras Hotel
ssiino@larkspurhotels.com

Been to Casa Munras Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!