“Unexpected but delightful stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Munras Hotel & Spa

You added Casa Munras Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Casa Munras Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   700 Munras Ave, Monterey, CA 93940 (Formerly Casa Munras, A Larkspur Collection Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #23 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Moreno Valley, California
“Unexpected but delightful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011 via mobile

Had unexpected need for a hotel in Monterey, CA Found this wonderful spot located in the Old Town District close to restaurants & shops.
Grounds are clean and attractive with a touch of the Spanish ranch style of architecture built in the 30's & 40's.
We had a second floor corner room with the corner metal fire place & king size bed that looked over the pool. We appreciated the privacy as there was only one other room accessed by the stairs to a covered deck large enough to accommodate patio furniture. The room was spacious, newly remodeled, attractively decorated & furnished with one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in. White fluffy robes are provided with a modest sized but attractive bath. WiFi is free. No free continental breakfast but there is a restaurant on site (The Esteban). Though the price was higher than we were looking to spend it was well worth it at $140.
Didn't have a lot of contact with staff but James at the desk was both friendly and professional.

• Stayed November 2011
CasaMunrasGM, General Manager at Casa Munras Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
Dear RoadBob:
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your visit to the Casa Munras Hotel & Spa. The deluxe Fireplace King you describe is our most popular room type. I am happy you enjoyed it as much as others do, The Featherborne bed is our signature and these rooms are quaint and stylish.
Thank you also for the compliment of James. We pride ourselves in our service delivery and regularly celebrate those that receive recognition! We look forward to your return.

Jim Gerney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
El Dorado Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

What a delightful way to visit the peninsula. We had a room with the acceptable hand holds for my 92 year old Mom and plenty of luxury for us all. Loved the robes. The beds were luxuriously covered, but the quilt weighed so much I had to take it off.

Although the heater would have been enough, the ambiance of the gas fire was lovely. The grounds and the hotel are beautiful. We had a short morning walk before the rain drove us back to pack up.

I highly recommend the rooms. We didn't actually eat there because our local favorite breakfast stop is Toasties in Pacific Grove.

Room Tip: Ours, 517 was spacious and handicapped equipped, but had a normal bath tub. It had a fireplace and a...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
VillaFlorenceGM, General Manager at Casa Munras Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Dear Linda B;
I am so pleased that you and your mother enjoyed your visit. We are proud of our hotel, and like to think that everyone has an experience as pleasant as yours. The deluxe rooms are our best, and the fireplace makes for a special ambiance.
Thanks for the great comments, and we look forward to your return.

Pittsburg, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

I would give Casa Munras one star but they deserve at least two because their staff is wonderful, warm and friendly.

My biggest complaint is the noise level. Rooms 117, 118 and 119 are directly across from the dumpsters. We were in room 118, and the garbage truck came to empty the dumpsters at 5:30 am on Sunday. There was a lot of yelling, machinery noise and slamming of doors and lids. The hotel says that quiet time is 9:00 pm to 9:00 am but we heard people partying throughout the night.

Our room was clean but old and musty smelling. The vanity area in the bathroom is small, my husband and I were not be able to get ready at the same time. The tub is also small. There is a marble threshold to the bathroom that is a little over 1/4 inch higher than the floor. Remember to pick up your feet when you cross it or you'll stub your toe.

When you think of Casa Munras, think of a inexpensive chain motel room with L'Occitaine bath products at an expensive price.

Room Tip: Do not get rooms 117, 118 or 119 because garbage pick up is 5:30 am on Sunday morning.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear MrsJEP;
Thank you for your constructive comments regarding your visit to the Casa Munras Hotel & Spa. I appreciate your compliments of the staff. We understand that there are some challenges at every hotel, but service delivery should not be one of them. Wonderful, Warm & friendly are characteristics that we aspire to.
On a positive note, we do have plans in the works to upgrade the standard rooms. Our deluxe rooms are already complete and beautiful. We hope to complete renovations for the standard rooms and baths in the near future.
Thank you again for your feedback.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

Me & my sister stayed at this hotel for a week in September. Our room was big & clean, the beds were so comfortable (I wanted to bring it home with me), & the pillows are sooooo soft. Great location, very quite, Dennys over the road & Trader Joe's round the corner. The hotel was a 10-15 min walk down to Fishermans Wharf. A 5 min drive into Carmel. We used the internet alot in reception, the staff were very helpful & friendly. The L'occitane shampoo, conditioner, shower gel & soap was devine. Coffee making facilities, hair dryer, iron & board, & ice bucket all in the room. We also asked for a fridge which was very handy. Enjoyed our stay & would go back to this hotel again & again.
Very nice & clean pool area with plenty of sunbeds.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear Herby69:
It is always great to hear positive reviews like yours. The location. bedding and amenities are our strengths, and most find them to exceed their expectations. Thanks again, and don’t forget to return soon!
cholder@live.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

we used Stash Reward points to book 2 nights and was upgraded to a king delux room on the end of one of the units; the bed was extremely comfortable, fireplace was nice on cool nights, and we found the location to be ideal as we were on a week road trip from San Fran down to San Simeon; we are the general managers of a luxury B&B in Midtown Atlanta GA so we are very aware of "guest comfort/guest relations". I will admit that there was some very early morning noise from the street, but not from other rooms; the amenities were a very nice quality, the bedding was triple sheeted, rare for a small hotel, and the staff was extremely helpful and courteous. The restaurant Esteban had great service and the tapas menu was delightful. Rating for value, location, and quality, I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Chose an end unit away from the street
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
VillaFlorenceGM, General Manager at Casa Munras Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Dear Caroline-Gary
Thank you for your kind words regarding your visit to the Casa Munras Hotel & Spa. The deluxe King rooms with fireplace is our most popular room type and I am pleased that you enjoyed it. Our team loves it when great things are shared about our service, and we use this feedback to celebrate and improve. Thanks again! We look forward to your return.

California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

Over the past few years Casa Munras has been the place my husband and I stay at when in Monterey. Our primary reason is location and the restaurant Esteban. Our previous stay had not been a good one, but it also hadn't been a terrible one. We figured every place has a bad weekend so we decided to try it again.
We were pleasantly greeted by Byron at check in. He was warm,inviting and very informative. A+ staff as usual. Have always loved their staff and their attention to the visitors. It when downhill from there. Once again we were having a hard time trying find a place to park. This happens every stay, nothing new. We finally found one a ways away from our room. However I was terrifiied my car was going to have door dings by morning because the parking stalls are TINY.
We finally get to our room which is the King With fireplace. The room was old dirty and smelled just the same. I was disappointed because I made sure I stayed with the same room type hoping my room would be just as nice as previous stays. There was no quilt/blanket. The room was dim and the fireplace was on the ground and Old and Dirty. These words will be repeated throughout.
The room looked nothing like the pictures or the rooms we had previously stayed in.The next aching we noticed as we got into bed was that we could not see the Tv from our bed.Not because it is a 27" Old tv in an armoire, but because the armoire was placed so far in the corner we had to rearrange the furniture. Was terribly disappointed but since it was just an overnight trip we just went to sleep.
In the morning we had to look for our bathroom amenities and ice bucket and such. In the closet is where they were.A logical place for these items??? NO I am thinking that this room was just so small and outdated that they just tossed things in there so the bathroom would seem bigger.

When we went to use the sink in the morning it starting filling up with brown sewage like stuff. I turned the water off while my husanband held the drain closed so no more would come up and overflow. This was when we are suppose to be taking a shower, relaxing and having a cup of coffee.Instead I call the front desk and they knew exactly what I was talking about and sent somebody right away.Once again the receptionist as well as the maintenance workers were top notch. I cannot say enough about Casa Muras staff. very professional and friendly.

It took them about 35-40 minutes to fix the problem, however when they were fixing ours they were getting called away to work on other rooms with the exact same problem.By this time we were so frustrated with Casa Munras we packed up our stuff and went over to family members home to get ready. Ironic, since we stayed in a hotel so we wouldn't be in the way when we were getting ready as they just had a newborn.

During checkout I brought this to the attention of a different receptionist and she asked me if I wanted to join their rewards program and said my next stay would be better. That frustrated me more. I am not the traveler who complains to get things free, but I truly thought the "accomodations"I received in the 12 hours I spent there was appalling and something should have been done. I was disappointed and will not do business with them in the future based on this experience.I had just spent the previous week at Abrego around the corner and will take my business to there from now on.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
VillaFlorenceGM, General Manager at Casa Munras Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Dear CaliforniaVegasLover:

May I start by apologizing for the challenges you experienced at the Casa Munras Hotel & Spa. While we are a vintage hotel, the details you shared are not reflective of our goals in service or hospitality. We did experience a concern recently with the city which created (non sewage) plumbing challenges. That has since been resolved, and I do not expect a similar incident. I am very sorry that this impacted your visit.

I also appreciate the feedback you shared regarding the room layout and placement of amenities. I will include your comments as we complete our planning for improvements. We are scheduling upgrades to our rooms, and this feedback goes a long way in our design plan. Thank you for this valuable insight.

I do hope that you return to The Casa Munras Hotel & Spa. While the Abrego is a fine hotel, I believe that it cannot offer the ambiance, spa and culinary experiences that are offered at the Casa Munras.

Zevenaar, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

The pictures I saw on line of Casa Munras made this place look a lot more fancy than it actually was. In reality this was a decent motel with a nice restaurant attached but not much more. The rooms were comfortable, clean and spacious, but very noisy. I didn't have to turn on my own TV - I could just listen to the neighbors'. The parking situation right in front of the room didn't help much either. And where was my fridge?

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Dear BaldBuddha:
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Casa Munras Hotel & Spa. I am disappointed that your stay did not meet your expectations. We are currently evaluating the plan to upgrade some of the guest rooms and baths. We currently have many of the rooms complete, and I hope that upon your next visit you elect to reserve one the upgraded rooms.

As we are an exterior, resort style hotel, noise can sometimes be a concern. I appreciate your feedback on this. I wish we had the opportunity to make corrections during your stay. Thank you again for your constructive observations.

Jim Gerney

Been to Casa Munras Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!