“Wow - Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
S. California
“Wow - Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

Wow, great hotel ..... This is one of the nicest hotels that I have every stayed at and I have traveled extensively. The hotel is grand and is in the perfect location overlooking the ocean and on cannery row. The staff is the best .... the dining at the duck bill grill was excellent and the spa was terrific. This was a great place to get away with my wife for a long weekend.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (805)
Los Gatos, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

We had great service from the valet to the restaurant staff. We loved the room! We booked a standard room but we still had a partial ocean view which was a real treat. We got a great deal though travelzoo. The location is great. You can leave your car the whole time and walk. The hot tubs on the roof overlooking the ocean are incredible. The view when you are working out isn't bad either! We ate in the Duck Club Grill and had the best table. It was dark out and the lights across the bay were so nice. We have stayed here twice and will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Sonoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

I planned this trip to take my terminally ill mother to Monterey to enjoy the area. When I booked the reservation, the agent (Leora) was very helpful and understanding of my situation. She booked us a beautiful room, and assured me a wheelchair would be made available for my mom. She was very sympathetic, and assured me the Hotel would tend to any need or concern that might arise.

A few days later, I received an upgrade offer from the hotel. It was a wonderful opportunity, so i called the hotel for information. I spoke with Susan and ultimately the reservation staff upgraded us to a suite that was unbelievable! I was told we had been put on the V.I.P. list, and that all our needs would be attended to. Needless to say, my mom felt like royalty!

During this difficult time, the staff of the Monterey Plaza Hotel made my mother's stay the highlight of her life. She later told me that she would carry her memories of the hotel for eternity.

Thank you to all the wonderful people of the Monterey Plaza Hotel for your consideration, compassion, and helpful ways during our stay.

P.S. The hotel staff accomplished all this on Valentine's weekend, in addition to the PGA tournament being in town!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

I spent an amazing weekend with my wife and 35 friends on the Monterey Peninsula golfing and enjoying our time at the Monterey Plaza Hotel and Spa. The service was brilliant, the rooms were comfortable and inviting and the hotel even though larger in size, had the small hotel feel with plenty of charm but with the amenities. The best of all worlds in my opinion. I'd go back in a heartbeat. I usually don't write reviews, actually this is my first one ever and it is well deserved. Schooners (the bar), and Duck Club (the restaurant) were terrific with excellent service as well. The views of the bay are beautiful as well, ask for a room overlooking the water to really top the weekend off.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

Spent a great weekend at the Monterey Plaza. The hotel is beautiful. Unbelievable views and perfect location right on the water. The people working there were so nice and helpful We checked out the Aquarium. Your kids will love it.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

We celebrated my 40th birthday here! If you have never stayed here, you are missing The Gem of the Peninsula. I am an avid golfer and spend quite a bit of time on Monterey Peninsula. The Monterey Plaza hotel is one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever stayed in period; this includes Pebble Beach and the Inn at Spanish Bay. The ocean view rooms are some of the most beautiful views you will find in the continental US. Each room comes equipped with a pair of binoculars so you can get a close up view of the Dolphins swimming underneath your room or to watch the sea otters play with one another between feeding themselves. As important, the staff is always polite and extremely respondent to any request from the minute you pull your car up to the time you depart...You feel special--5 star service!!!! A world class spa with a hot tub on the roof overlooking the Bay where the Pelicans fly by and the otters play below. Do yourself a favor and make sure you stay here before anywhere else on the Monterey Peninsula. Cannot wait to go back!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Novato, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

The whole crew got together for my buddy's 40th birthday down at the Monterey Plaza and the experience was top notch from beginning to end. We all stayed in standard rooms which were fantastic. The highlight was opening the patio door and taking a nap to the sound of the waves crashing into the rocks below.

On Saturday, some golfed, some went to Carmel, and some walked around Monterey. The location is ideal because its in the middle of all the action.

Saturday night, my buddy's party was in the El Presidente suite and it was absolutely 5 star. What a gorgeous room with an unbelievable patio. He catered in a nice meal, we watched a slide show on the giant flat screen, enjoyed a few adult beverages, and danced to the music from the great sound system.

One absolute lock of a recommendation - go to the Duck Club Grill for breakfast and get the Pecan Nut French Toast.. You're welcome.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!