From reading the reviews here, I decided to pay the extra and book an ocean view room with a balcony. I wasn't at all disappointed, and the room was absolutely stunning. Binoculars in the room was a nice touch. Expensive, but worth the extra if you can. I don't think I would have enjoyed my stay anything like as much in an internal room.
Location is excellent - short walk to Fisherman's Wharf or Cannery Row.
All the staff were very friendly, from the valet parking guys, through housekeeping.
The only downside was that each night the bar and common areas were busy with corporate types having meetings. Not really what I expected at a resort style hotel/spa in a seaside location. Also I found it strange that the public could just walk into the plaza and use the facilities, which probably explains that not once could I find somewhere to sit down. On one occasion we ended up leaving the hotel to walk down Cannery Row to the Intercontinental to get a drink, and when we couldn't get a dinner table (in a reasonable time), we headed down to Fisherman's Wharf. Basically folk paying $500 per night get no preference over the public walking in. This annoyed me, so feel I must drop a star on the review.
We didn't use the Spa facilities, but they did look very extensive.
Overall, it was a lovely stay, and I would definitely recommend for a short break.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relax on the water's edge at the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. Dramatically perched over the Monterey Bay and located on historic Cannery Row, the Plaza is the perfect place to enjoy the gentle sounds of the surf, the fresh scent of sea air and all of the activities that the Monterey Peninsula has to offer. The only Forbes Four Star rated hotel in Monterey, the Plaza welcomes you with its warm Mediterranean ambiance and its legendary personalized service. While here, enjoy our roof-top Vista Blue Spa, the European-style Café La Strada, and our waterfront restaurant, Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar.For the comfort of our guests, all sleeping rooms and balconies are 100% non-smoking. In addition to taxes, a $27 per night resort fee applies to all reservations, which includes valet parking, guestroom internet, access to the spa facilities and local phone calls. Periodically, the Plaza is host to events such as weddings, dinners and concerts which may be seen and heard from sleeping rooms. Every effort is made to keep the times and volume of these events within reason. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Monterey Plaza Hotel Monterey
- Monterey Plaza Hotel And Spa
- Monterey Plaza Resort
- Plaza Hotel Monterey