“Excellent stay!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint James, New York
“Excellent stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We stayed at The Monterey Bay Plaza Hotel & Spa for three nights. The location is amazing. Our room was just below the spa. (courtyard side) The room was large, with a balcony and very nice. The flowers in the courtyard were beautiful.

The staff right from check in to check out was top notch. We used the valet service and never had to wait. By the time we got to the front door our car was either there or just pulling in. The bell service was prompt and very helpful.

The common areas all had amazing views of the bay. It was a very relaxing to sit outside with a danish and eat breakfast.

The location was perfect. Cannery Row, the aquarium, and several very good restaurants are all within easy walking distance. We ate dinner one night in Schooners and that was also excellent.

Upon check in I inquired about a room upgrade. I was offered a water front corner suite for a very fair price. My mistake was I discussed it with my wife. I should have just taken it. While I liked our room I'm sure I would have loved the corner suite!

Great hotel and facility; whenever I get back to Monterey Bay I will be sure to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (842)
strasburg va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The hotel was beautiful, and the staff was great! The room was very large, clean, beautifully decorated. We only allowed one night in Monterey and wished we could have stayed longer. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Facing the ocean
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

This hotel is very beautiful and luxurious without a doubt. So instead of focusing on all the things right with it, I'll just quickly mention the few things that were problematic. Although it has a nation-renowned spa, the actual spa experience was quite disappointing. If you don't buy the expensive massages or the treatments, don't get your hopes up; the "famous spa" part is a bit misleading. Also, at the very end of our stay, the front desk took our bags and made it seem like they would put our bags into our valeted car. However, the bags remained in the same place, and we ended up having to do it ourselves in the end. It seemed very unprofessional for such a high-end hotel to lead us to believe one thing but then, in the confusion, go back on their word. It would have been nice if they just told us we have to do it, or do it for us like they said they would.

• Stayed July 2014
Monterey_Plaza, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 29, 2014
Dear Mary,

Thank you for your review about your stay at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. Although, I am pleased you found our property luxurious, I am disappointed to hear about our inconsistencies in guest service and with our Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor guest service you received at checkout. You sentiments have been shared with our team, so a similar occurrence will not occur in the future.

When you have a moment, I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience further. Please feel free to contact me at 831-645-4000 or by email at jnarigi@montereyplazahotel.com. I hope that this experience will not discourage you from visiting us again in the future.

John V. Narigi
Vice President & General Manager
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Good sized room, we had a partial sea view room. Otters play in the sea below with occasional whale sitings in the distance. The food for dinner was very good and the service attentive (Raymond). The spa area looked small and didn't get much sun in the evening. The drive down the coast along 17-mile drive is totally worth it including a stop off at Pebble Beach golf course for a stunning view at lunch

Room Tip: Pay for a sea or partial sea view
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Hotel lived up to its stellar reputation. Particularly memorable was the efficient car valet service. We were "in and out" often and the car was waiting after a 5 minute notice. Desk personnel went out of their way to accommodate my request for at least a partial ocean view (late reservation).

Room Tip: Book early to get ocean view. Obviously, those rooms go first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Our family stayed at Monterey Plaza in July, 2014. Perfect location! We walked to Cannery Row, the aquarium, restaurants, shops, and the wharf. In the evening, we sat out on the patio next to the fire! We enjoyed our stay and the employees were all wonderful!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Monterey Plaza in May. It was clean and the room was of average size and amenities. The outdoor hot tub in the spa was pleasant. However, the whole place had a "Disneyland" kind of feel and the food we had in the bar/restaurant was terrible. It seems to cater to families and events like weddings, etc. and may be good for such clientele. If you are looking for a well-appointed or deluxe experience, I would not recommend the Monterey Plaza.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Monterey_Plaza, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback. Although, I’m glad your experience had some positive aspects, I’m sorry that overall we did not meet your expectations. Your review is helpful and your sentiments have been shared with our team, we can continue to improve.

I would appreciate the opportunity to learn more about your recent stay, if you could please contact me at 831-645-4000 or by email at jnarigi@montereyplazahotel.com. I hope to speak with you soon.

John V. Narigi
Vice President & General Manager
Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa

Been to Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!