“Luxury” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Very nice! We felt very spoiled. The service was excellent. The spa was beautiful and relaxing. The birds did not bother us as mentioned in other reviews. I loved sitting out by the fire pit in the morning by the sea and drinking my coffee. The hotel is within walking distance from all the restaurants and shopping. Be sure to take the 17 mile drive and stop at the Pebble Beach lodge and have lunch over looking the 18th green, it's a great experience. If you like dancing, Sly Mcfly's has live bands 7 days a week and its only a 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,037)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent 3 nights at this property and we experienced excellence from beginning to end. The location, right on the bay, is beautiful and relaxing. It is apparent that this hotel is well managed because the staff that we encountered were professional, courteous, and very accommodating. We travel a lot and rarely has a property risen to the level of the Plaza. If you are planning to stay in Monterey you will not be disappointed with the Plaza. We enthusiastically recommend it.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

great hotel great staff great bar great food great rooms great view great rooms
great great great great great does this meet your stupid two hundred character minimum no how about now not yet this sucks how about now

Room Tip: rooms w/ veiws spectacular
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Altadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was truly a wonderful hotel, staff was friendly and professional. Large lobby, grand piano and many floor to ceiling windows facing the bay. I felt safe and secure the entire time I was there. Large room with flat screen TV, wide and spacious drawers, a vanity counter and stool, safe in the closet and nice size bathroom. Free WiFi. I had an ocean view but it was a partial view with balconies to the left. I stayed only one night so next time I will ask for a full ocean view. Went up to the top, spa level where there are two outdoor jacuzzis with glass walls all around to enjoy the view of the bay, fireplace was lit, restroom, shower, lounge chairs, towels and ice water. Nicely updated hotel all around. It was wonderful eating and lounging outdoor at Schooners restaurant while I was waiting to check-in then went there for dinner, again another nice experience with great service and food. Great that they have a covered entrance to drive into for valet parking and bell desk service.

Room Tip: If reserving an ocean view room and staying for more than one night, request for a room that is not...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Alameda, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel. They have clean rooms. Great cleaning and valet staff, and if you can afford it great views. It is also family friendly as they have large rooms with refrigerators, hallelujah! However, we got a deal booking earlier and so they made us go on the side of the hotel that is across the bridge (no view). I had no problem with that as our room faced green space. I did have two small issues to note/beware of. The first is that the hotel was reluctant to accommodate us when we tried to get a room at two instead of four pm. I had called ahead to say we would be arriving early. I understand the official, guaranteed check in is four, but we were traveling with a three year old and a two month old. Most high end hotels we have stayed at, e.g. Four seasons, Hyatt, etc. will get you a room as we all know there are rooms available before four. Here they gave me push back and finally after two calls and a desk visit got us a room after three and acted as if we should be extra thankful. Second complaint, though again minor, they put us in the most inconvenient location. We were on the second floor building three. This means that we had to go up the elevators to the third floor cross an interior catwalk over the street. Go down then left then into another elevator to go to the second floor. If just me and my husband whatever. But, with two kids and a stroller not to mention all the kid accommodating accoutrement you have to travel with it was both inconvenient and felt like we were being punished for our 45 min early check in. Not too cool. That being said, nice hotel. We live near monterey and will be back in the area though still might consider investigating potentially other properties if they were as nice and a bit more accommodating with the kids. And, I forgot to mention my husband wanted me to note that the lack of a pool was disappointing given the price point.

Room Tip: Do not take a room on any floor of building three other than the third floor if you do t want to hav...
Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was my third trip to Monterey and first stay in this hotel. I requested a quiet room upon reservation since I'm a light sleeper. They gave me a quiet room. The hotel is absolutely beautiful. It's right on the ocean and its restaurant, lobby, and public areas provide the best ocean views of the city. The hotel employees are helpful and pleasant --everywhere I see them I receive a cheeful greeting. It is obvious that the hotel staff is run by a top-notch manager who does the best training on his team. The hotel restaurant and cafe provide excellent food and service; I ended up dinning there for breakfast, lunch, and dinner everyday during my stay. I stayed for 3 nights, and will have a long lasting memory of this hotel. Keep up the great work! Will definitely come back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Just returned from a five night stay and absolutely loved this hotel! Location is perfect, walking distance to lots of great restaurants and shops, view from our ocean front corner suite was second to none. Slept with balcony doors open at night and fell asleep listening to the waves. Balconies are a bit small but still enough room to sit out and enjoy a glass of wine while watching the sea otters play. Room came with a good pair of binoculars so it was easy to spy on the otters and seals. Room also came with a pair of comfy bathrobes but for the pricier suites, I was surprised a pair of terry cloth slippers weren't also included as is the norm with this calibre of resort . We dined at Schooners for our anniversary and the meal was superb, and we also made use of a couples package in the Vista Blue Day Spa, also top notch. Kudos to Hilary at the concierge desk and all the staff from the parking valets, to the waiters to the room service staff and the therapists in the day spa...everyone was highly professional. We also made use of the fitness room and the roof top jacuzzi which were clean and modern. I hope someday to return .

Room Tip: If you can afford the splurge, treat yourself to a corner ocean view balcony suite
Green Features: Wish there was a blue can for recycling in the room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple