“fabulous, friendly and luxurious, but no pool” 4 of 5 stars

Free of Fees
Ranked #1 of 53 hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
armonk, ny
“fabulous, friendly and luxurious, but no pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed at this hotel because it was rated top family friendly hotel in Monterey. The staff was lovely and helpful, the room luxurious (quote my 12 year old son, "this is the nicest hotel we've ever stayed in!"). The location was excellent, within walking distance of the highlights of monterey. The spa area with rooftop hot tubs was lovely, but strictly closed to under 18 year olds, leaving my children (12 and 14) with no entertainment options within the hotel. We thought we would splash out for our last night in California, but from a value perspective, at $300 per night with no breakfast included, this is certainly not a bargain in the area. For our money, we probably would have rather saved $150 by staying in a chain and spent that money on entertainment and dinners. If money is not an issue, highly recommended - the views are beautiful!

Room Tip: if you don't mind the extra $, spring for an ocean view with balcony

2,373 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

We stayed there for a 3-night family vacation in mid-August 2012 and were quite impressed by this resort! Everything was top-notch: the welcome, the room, the view, the meals, the spa (beautiful gym and jacuzzi), the valet parking, and even free wi-fi! The only downside was the first room they gave us which had partly obstructed ocean views, but they fixed this within minutes when we complained and gave us a wonderful full ocean view room! We will definitely be back!,

• Stayed August 2012
John_V_Narigi, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thanks for sharing! I'm glad our staff was able to accommodate you within a room of your liking. Customer service is a top priority here and I'm glad you got to experience it first hand.
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed for two nights in a lovely room with ocean view. Room was bright and clean, and provided ample space for a family of four. The hotel is absolutely lovely.
However, the recptionist upon our check in obviously wanted to be somewhere else, and was hardly what I would call even remotely friendly. Also, the noise that comes from the hallway is extreme. I usually have no problem with this, but it is especially bad - at least where our room was. Even when people were walking by in the morning and talking in what I would consider a relitively quiet way, you could still hear them enough to be bothersome. I was expecting perhaps to be bothered by "ocean noise", but the glass doors to the balcony were exceptionally good and as the one sleeping closest to the balcony, I heard nothing.
Would I stay again? Yes, but I would carefully select my room and perhaps phone the hotel directly and ask for their recommendation on room location.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

While traveling the CA coast with my friend, we stopped here to enjoy the spa. The views are breathtaking and the spa is supurb! This is a relaxing place for a get-away with the girls or a romantic place to enjoy with someone special. Just a short walk to the quaint downtown, go to the Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary or do some wine tasting. This is a socially responsible hotel, which makes you feel as good as going to their spa! Don't forget to enjoy the sea lions just off your balcony!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any room choice here.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Rocklin, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is a beautiful, luxurious hotel that literally sits on the ocean. We stayed here with our 5 and 3 year old and I was a little worried that it might not be the best place for kids, but I didn't have to worry about that. We pulled up on the day we arrived and there were a lot of staff helping everyone unload their luggage and valet their cars (the valet fee is already included in the resort fee that you have to pay, so you might as well park here). We arrived early and were able to check-in even though our room wasn't ready yet. They took down my cell number and said they would call me when the room was ready. That allowed us to leave all our luggage there and take a walk down to the aquarium which took about 10 minutes or so. The hotel itself is quite stunning from the beautiful lobby to the classic, elegant rooms with extremely comfortable beds. The main restaurant has panoramic views of the ocean. We ate breakfast there and the kids even spotted a sea otter who was swimming in and out of the water. The restaurant had a kids menu with crayons, so that was a pleasant surprise. Overall, I think I would enjoy coming back here with just my wife, so that we could experience the spa and other adult friendly amenities, but I wouldn't hesitate to bring my whole family back here either. I highly recommend this hotel.

Monterey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Our stay was excellent, my family enjoyed the city and the hotel. This was very nice amd we liked it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

This was my first experience at this hotel and I can't wait to go back. The grounds and rooms were beautiful, clean, and had views that would take your breadth away. Everyday we saw otters and seals from our ocean view room which I would highly recommend. The staff were professional and very helpful. They treated everyone like a VIP guest! I don't think I would ever consider staying anywhere else in the area!

• Stayed August 2012
Thanks for sharing your experience! It's nice to hear we've got another loyal fan, can't wait to welcome you back :)

Been to Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!