“View is worth the high price” 5 of 5 stars

Free of Fees
Ranked #1 of 53 hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Antonio, Texas
“View is worth the high price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I was a bit worried when I first checked in; it was the fourth of July and it was very loud and crowded. After waiting for quite a while to check in, a very nice check-in clerk assisted me. I got the key to my room and, despite the clerk telling me he to get to my room, I was immediately confused. Again, a nice employee came to my rescue and asked if I needed help, and he pointed me in the right direction.

When I got to my room, it was very loud. The band was playing out on the deck, and I started worrying that I wouldn't get a good sleep. Fortunately, the band stopped at 7:00 and then things went well from there.

I reserved a corner room with an ocean view and it was wonderful -views from two different sides of the room. The hotel provides binoculars in the room so I was able to spend time searching for otters swimming around in the calm waters. The sound of the ocean was so nice as I went to sleep in a very comfy bed.

The room service menu was limited, but I had seen the restaurant menu so I asked if I could order something off that and wow, was I glad I could. The salmon dish was excellent, one of the best items I have ordered from room service anywhere. The fitness room was nice, and while I didn't use the spa services, my travel companion received a massage and enjoyed the experience.

The hotel is quite expensive; you can te decent rooms for half the price in Monterey and Pacific Grove. But the hotel is worth the splurge if you can get one of the rooms with a view.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

2,396 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Location is excellent; staff were very pleasant; breakfast very good (try the Eggs Benedictine) in the hotel, but also nice (cheaper) breakfast in the Cafe Strada. WiFi worked well. Close to Cannery Row with all the touristy places, but also close to the Aquarium which is an absolute Must! Take the (free) trolley to see more sights and walk along the seaside to the Piers (breakfast on the Coast Guard Pier is recommended as well). Take an Ocean view room, it is worth the money. We did not find the hotel loud, even if a couple of weddings and conferences took place. Nice places to sit down are available as well, in the lobby or outside on the deck.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Culver City, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Fantastic location, beautiful woods, fireplaces, views from the moment you walk in, and consistent throughout the hotel. Delicious food in the restaurant, great "living room" to sit and talk, read, play cards and...yes, strong wi-fi for your devices. Favorite part was the little Cafe Strada, with Peet's coffee, and Steinbeck books to borrow and read with your coffee.

Room Tip: My sister had a corner room with a king bed, which, even though not billed as "partial ocean vi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this wonderful hotel recently and we will definitely be coming back! We stayed in an ocean view room and it was worth every penny. All the staff we ran into were super nice.
We ate at Schooner's for dinner one night and it was really delicious. Their angry prawns an ceviche were full of flavor. Our server Jennifer made our night.
We decided to have desert in our room and called in room dinning. Thanks Addi and Jess for be so nice and quick on that order.
All in all our stay was amazing. Thank you to everyone that made it extra special.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel back in April for my friend's wedding. Everything was excellent, the food was great. All the staff from valet to housekeeping was outstanding, the hotel is well maintained and very clean.I don't agree with the bad reviews I read, I just think that if you cannot efford a 4 star hotel you should simply go to a holiday inn or 2/3 stars. And the rates are not bad at all for a 4 star. I travelled all arouns Europe as well and spend much more without having this great service!!! I would definitely reccomend it to everyone.

• Stayed April 2012
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I have stayed at the Monterey Plaza a few times and every time it is amazing. The staff is incredibly generous and willing to help with whatever your need may be. The bell desk and front desk staff are probably best that I have encountered at any hotel around the world. The rooms are large and clean no matter if you have an inland view or ocean view. I prefer the ocean views so I can watch the sea otters with the binoculars that are provided in the rooms! A trip to the Plaza wouldn’t be complete without a stop at the Spa for a Bliss on the Bay treatment by SallyAnn! She is amazing!!

Room Tip: Book an ocean view with a balcony!! It's worth it!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
John_V_Narigi, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
"Wouldnt stay anywhere else in Monterey" Now THAT's what we like to hear :) Thank you so much for your kind words, we hope to welcome you back soon!
Austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel is older but the rooms are very spacious and comfortable. The staff is also very helpful and friendly. There are Peet's coffee shop and Schooner's restaurant in the hotel. Beware of unpleasant smells from the sea. We had an ocean view room with a balcony. The view is nice but we didn't realize that there are empty/unkept lots around the hotel that bring down the look of the area. Great walking distance to Aquarium and shops.

Room Tip: Do not get a room by the elevator and the ice machine...very noisy. It was nice having a room in th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!