“Family Weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel

You added Clarion Hotel to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1046 Munras Avenue, Monterey, CA 93940 (Formerly "Westwind Lodge")   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #49 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Outside Basingstoke
“Family Weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

Convenient, clean, good rooms and well-run, what more could you ask for? The kids enjoyed making waffles for breakfast, everyone enjoyed the pool and we couldn't get Granny out of the hot tub. Reception allowed us to switch rooms to accommodate seven of us more comfortably and the price was reasonable.

If you're lucky enough to get the glorious weather we enjoyed, you'll not want to leave the area. And if you're literate, don't miss the wonderful John Steinbeck Centre in Salinas.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Lansdale, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights as part of a week-long trip in the San Francisco bay area. During this leg of the trip, we visited Monterey, Big Sur and Carmel. The hotel was a little hard to find because it was on a block with many others of similar style.

We enjoyed our stay while we were there. The room itself, while not large, was perfectly fine for 2 people and very comfortable, and the outdoor corridor outside our room was nicely adorned with flowering plants. While we didn't spend a lot of time in our room, the location was very convenient to major roads in the area, particularly in getting to Carmel and Big Sur. The continental breakfast was decent, although they appeared to have all the same options every day, which could get a little old after a couple days. There was also an indoor pool available, although we didn't use it.

I enjoyed the Monterey area very much and would highly recommend a visit. The downtown section was literally only a few minutes away (probably walkable, though it is on an incline). There also appeared to be a mall across the road.

Taylorsville, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

We stayed 5 nights here and I'm not disappointed at all in a long stay there. Excellent value for what we paid, very clean, nice courtyard and indoor pool, staff made sure we had everything we needed and was happy with the room. I always seen a maintenance man constantly working on something so I know they take pride in the place and it's not neglected. My only wish was that they mixed up the breakfast once in a while, 5 mornings of waffles and biscuits and gravy got a little old. I'll be back to stay here again for sure!

Newark, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed here Saturday and Sunday night. Dianna at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. We really enjoyed the indoor heated pool and hot tub. We really enjoyed the breakfast. It was a nice surprise that they had belgium waffles and biscuits & gravy (Yum!!). The hotel was really close to the Del Monte shopping center and pretty close to the Fisherman's Warf (although probably not close enough to walk to). I would definately stay here again when in the area.

Stratford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

My wife and I stayed here with our 11-month old for 3 nights. We reserved the 1 queen bed room for $79/night right from their website.

We arrived 2 hours early for check-in, but our room was ready anyway (it was off-season and they weren't very crowded). We asked for a crib or pack & play for our daughter, which they had brought to our room immediately. It was clean and in good condition.

When we got to the room we were a little disappointed in the size... it was pretty small. Clean, well maintained and nice, but a bit smaller than the 'average' room. It did have a small balcony, which was cool, but it overlooked a parking lot so it wasn't anything special. After sleeping in that room for one night we realized it wasn't suitable for 2 adults and a small child so I went to the front desk and asked if they had anything else available. For $10 more per night ($89) we got a room 4 times the size, with a king bed and gas fireplace. No balcony, but that was fine with us. The room, like the first, was extremely clean and nice. It also had a pull down Murphy-bed, which we didn't use, but looked comfortable and clean when I pulled it down to look at it. Both rooms had wifi, a desk and chair, a mini-refrigerator, a microwave and a coffee pot. The larger room also had a kitchen table with chairs, 3 seat leather couch, flat screen TV, fireplace, and a separate bathroom 'hallway' with a large sink area.

The staff was friendly and accommodating. One night during our stay we had leftovers and wanted to heat them up in the microwave but had no plates or silverware. I asked the front desk and they had somebody bring some up to us from the breakfast bar. We also needed a corkscrew to open a bottle of wine, which they had.

Overall, we were very pleased with this hotel. It is nothing fancy (dont book this for your romantic honeymoon getaway), but the rooms were nice and clean, the bed was comfortable, the service was good, the indoor heated pool and hot tub were nice, and the breakfast was decent (danishes, muffins, cereal, waffles, biscuts and gravy, etc). And its within walking distance (20 minutes) to Fisherman's Wharf, shops, etc.

At $89/night, it was still the cheapest room we stayed in out of 3 hotels on our trip, and this room was definitely the biggest and nicest. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Mario R
Orange, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

The property was nice, the rooms looked nice on the inside, once you lay down though, you feel like you are laying on the ground; super uncomfortable.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank scuttlebuttin143

Travelers are raving about these Monterey hotels

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I'm a little surprised to hear some of the negative reviews. I don't know why anyone would choose this motel for their honeymoon or spend $300 on a room. My friend and I got a room with two queens and paid about $100. I was a little shocked when I opened the door and saw just one queen bed. After 6 hours on the road, I wasn't too excited and marched down to the front desk to complain. It turns out that there were 2 queens, Had I explored further, one was just in another room- the one with the ocean view. Sure the TVs were a little retro, but I hope people don't come to Monterey to sit and watch TV... Went to an amazing Tapas restaurant within walking distance down the street. Great continental breakfast (they even had protein- hard boiled egss). Good waffles and more variety than similar motels I have been too. They even worked hard to provide a family who came to breakfast with kosher options. Went for a swim and soak in the hot tub. All in all a pleasant experience.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends