“Great value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Stevenson Monterey

You added The Stevenson Monterey to your Saves list
The Stevenson Monterey
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   675 Munras Ave, Monterey, CA 93940 (Formerly Monterey Downtown Travelodge)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #29 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

On a short road trip from San Francisco this was the first hotel we saw in Monterey and as it was getting latish took the chance, not the sort of place we had immagined staying at. Really good room, large and airy, very comfortable queen size twin beds(king size in the UK!), good en suite shower room,fluffy towels and the usual lotions and shampoos, coffee maker in the room(real coffee,not instant!) and large flat screen TV. Spotlessly clean and well cleaned for our second day. To top it off a free continental(they called it)breakfast. And the price? We paid $95 per night which with taxes came to $105.50.Oh... and they have free parking and even a plunge pool.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Craig S, Owner at The Stevenson Monterey, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
We thank you for taking the time and mentioning our large and airy rooms that you found spotlessly
clean with free parking and a pool. We invite you to come again on your next overseas visit.
Please ask about our newest renovated rooms.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Metuchen
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

It was fine until I kept waking up with red itchy welts on my arms. They got worse and worse until I had to seek medical treatment. Turns out I was getting bitten by spiders at night in the room and had an allergic reaction. At least it was not bed bugs, which is what I originally thought. The staff was helpful (moved me to another room, sprayed the room, washed my clothes in hot water--this is when we thought it might be bed bugs). The manager seemed nice, but after he called me the second time, he then sent me an email reiterating the conversation in what seemed to be legal CYA terms. It made it seem like he was really concerned I would either sue, say it was bed bugs after we figured out it wasn't, or ask for money off my bill. I did none of these, but if they had offered to comp a night or two for the trouble (and it definitely took over my trip for a couple days) that would have gone a long way. I maybe would have even stayed there again when I go back in the fall.
Aside from that, the location is good. Once I asked for a wake up call and it never came and another time I called the front desk and it rang and rang. So I got pretty disappointed after my 12-night stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Craig S, Owner at The Stevenson Monterey, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank for reviewing our property. Our staff helped in a situation that we have never experienced before. I was very proud of how our staff responded to your situation. As you stated, we helped you move to a new room and helped you by washing your clothes with no payment or tip expected. We and our professional team also went completely through the room you used. Nothing was found. Even then, we expressed our concern on the phone, in person and by email and asked what else we could do for you. Apparently we missed giving you a wake up cal, even though our system says the wake up call was answered. We have to say we were disappointed in how things turned out too, especially considering you had a choice and stayed with us 12 nights. We invite you to come back and come try the newest rooms we have upgraded and renovated.

Been to The Stevenson Monterey? Share your experiences!