“not the most pleasant of hotels” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Stevenson Monterey

You added The Stevenson Monterey to your Saves list
The Stevenson Monterey
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   675 Munras Ave, Monterey, CA 93940 (Formerly Monterey Downtown Travelodge)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #29 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersSilver level
Gwent South Wales
“not the most pleasant of hotels”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed in the Downtown Travelodge for one night as part of a two week trip around California and out of all the hotels we stayed in this was my least favourite. The surrounding area wasnt particularly pleasant and neither were the rooms. The pool was tiny and overlooking the main road and the carpark. Not very appealing!!
Location wasnt particularly great for what we wanted, nothing was really in walking distance except Denny's and a Gas Station!
The man behind reception was however very friendly and pleasant and was happy to help with enquires that we had.
If I were to return to Monterey again i'd definately choose different accomodation!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at The Stevenson Monterey, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for a review that compliments our front desk. I would like to note that we have over 45 restaurants within 3 blocks, Fisherman's Wharf is a flat, 12 minute walk away and all of Monterey's Historic Adobes with their beautiful gardens are on that same path. The Monterey Bay Aquarium Shuttle is 2 blocks away and runs every 10 minutes all day long. We have free wi-fi, free continental breakfast, Pillow top beds and have been recently refurbished with the help of a talented designer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

Booked 2 rooms/4 adults for last minute weekend trip to Monterey in end of June.

Very short walk to restaurants, bars and shops. Since we were checking out on our day to the aquarium we drove to cannery row instead of catching the free trolley. I imagine the walk there would take 15-20 minutes- and be lovely. Wish we stayed two nights so we could have enjoyed the pool as it looked fun. Small, but not crowed. And 8 feet deep!

Happily surprised with room quality. Updated room, comfy bed and adjoining doors to rooms. Carpet felt recently shampooed and was a little damp so we wore sandals in the rooms until it dried. Iron smelled musty so check that before stinking up clothes.

Friendly staff and decent continental breakfast of juices, coffee, baked goods, yogurt, cereal, fruit and boiled eggs.

Free underground parking and staff informed us of additional parking if lot was full (due to being 100% booked) which it was not.

Will add this to my Monterey rotation.

• Stayed July 2012
, Owner at The Stevenson Monterey, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments. The pool is now heated to 81 degrees
and July 4th in Monterey is great witha parade, 3 bands on City Hall lawn
and all justt a few blocks away. Wish you could have stayed. Craig Smith, Owner
Wiltshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

They are all very friendly, and helpful. The rooms are just what you need, and the beds are very comfortable. Does what it says on the tin. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
catsseat, Owner at The Stevenson Monterey, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
We appreciate your kind comments and positive words. Our staff works hard to give great service, at a good value in one of the best locations in downtown Monterey. We look forward
to your return!
Santa Clara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Visited on 5/5/2012 for the first time and was very happy with my stay. Staff at the front desk was both friendly and helpful, and the breakfast included with the room was more than adequate. It is a great location for seeing downtown Monterey. It's nice to have free parking in that area, but drive around behind the hotel to access the underground parking lot.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
catsseat, Owner at The Stevenson Monterey, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Thank you for a very positive review. You liked our free parking and our continental breakfast. Our location is just a 12 minute walk from Fisherman's Wharf, the Ocean Front Rec Trail and
Monterey Beach. Because we have just 51 rooms and a 24 hour front desk, we try to excel
at personal service to each guest. All the front desk are mature professionals who enjoy meeting and interacting with travelers from all over the world everyday.
Carmel Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I have stayed in other hotels in this area. I usually stay at 3 or 4 star hotels. Well, with the economy the way it is, I decided to stay here. First, I was greeted with a friendly smile. The room was very clean and the decor was really nice. The bathroom was slightly small, but very clean. I am not used to getting free WIFI and breakfast. This usually costs me about $30.00 a day at the hotels I stay at. The breakfast was pretty good. I had boiled eggs, muffins, juice, coffee, toast and cereal. The best part was that I didn't have to drive much. I left my car at the hotel and walked a few blocks to downtown Monterey, then over to the warf. I kept walking along the ocean trail and found myself at Canary Row. What a beautiful walk! I then rode the bus back to the downtown hub and walked 2 blocks back to the hotel. So this hotel saved me about $60.00 a day just for its location, breakfast, WIFI, etc. I also saved because this hotel was much less than the hotels I am accustomed to staying at. I felt that the experience I had was excellent for the cost. I also can say that there are some fantastic restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. Check out the Wild Plum for lunch! I also want to say that the beds were pretty comfortable. I sleep with ear plugs when I travel, so I got a great night sleep. When all is taken into consideration, this was a great choice for me. Another good bit of info is that Trader Joe's is 2 blocks away.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 302. It was perfect for me.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
catsseat, Owner at The Stevenson Monterey, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for the highest rating possible in every category. Your positive,detailed review revealed your walking knowledge of our great neighborhood. You discovered and liked the Wild Plum restaurant across the street and the Trader Joe's down the block. We have over 40+ restaurants within 3 blocks and Fisherman's Wharf is a 12 stroll away. Our housekeepers are experienced and well trained, as is our front desk. We offer consistency in every way and enjoy welcoming visitors from all over the world every day. Come back on your next visit to magical, beautiful Monterey.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

ONCE AGAIN....my mother & I would like to express our gratitude to the owner & staff, for making our 5 day stay very comfortable, clean, secure, & hassle free. The bedroom area of our room was very clean, the desk & dresser were also very clean, & the linens smelled fresh. The bathroom area was exceptionally clean as always. Your beds are actually more comfortable than my own personal bed that I have at home!

The continental breakfast that you provide for your guests is excellent. My mother just loves the exceptionally large & fresh assortment of breakfast goodies that you have on hand. Plus, you also provide clean tables to sit on & eat. Really nice touch.

And....we have noticed that the owner cares enough to be standing out in front of the office during the morning hours, greeting the new guests & bidding farewell to the departing guests. Just knowing that the owner cares enough to make himself available to his guests, is a personal touch that we really appreciate. Bravo!!!

• Stayed May 2012
catsseat, Owner at The Stevenson Monterey, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Thank you for the kind and positive words. All of our staff has a great service attitude
with many years of experience. Our comittment to excellence sets the stage for the kind of
experience you have had as a regular customer. We believe that the hotel experience you have
is much more important than anything else. WE enjoy communicating directly with our guests
both before, during and after their stay. Our new web site at www.montereytravelodge.com
provides you with the menus of over 90 restaurants locally and many photos of the entire
area. Those that discover find one of the hidden treasures of information we provide.
Thank you for being one of great repeat guests who reinforces our comittment to great
customer service.
Enschede, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

A very decent, quiet and comfortable stay. Very helpful and efficient staff at reception. At the very second I checked in, I got a city map and help on how to get around. The nice and friendly staff just make me feel at home. Sleep was good with more than enough supply of pillows (I believe there were 5-6 of them). Breakfasts were good, simply nourishing - oatmeal, muffins, cereal, hardboil eggs, fruits, hot drinks and so on.

I forgot some items when leaving at a hurry but am very grateful that the staff took care to have the items shipped.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for a very positive review. You liked our bed, our breakfast and more! We are the closest
lodge to downtown Monterey and Fisherman's Wharf. Our guests who walk a bit discover one of our finest attibutes....our location and proximity to all the restaurants that Monterey offers. And the beach is only 4 blocks away. We are the closest economy-priced lodge to everything in downtown
Monterey. No other lodge is closer to it all than us. That is why we have so many repeat guests.
Whether it is the Big Sur Marathon shuttles nearby, the car auctions during Classic Car Week, or
those walking a few blocks to the Conference Center and having tremendous savings over the
host hotels downtown.

Been to The Stevenson Monterey? Share your experiences!