“When in a pinch it will do...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #19 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“When in a pinch it will do...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

We went looking for a hotel near Carmel found way over priced rooms and so we ventured over to Freemont Street minutes away from Carmel by the Sea. Outside is adorable and staff very nice and helpful. The room... spacious, clean, comfortable beds. The bathroom is clean but could use a major updating and the carpet needs to be cleaned or replaced. After going barefoot for a a while the bottom of our feet was black. Looking at the carpet it doesn't look that bad but, it is. The cost is so much easier to deal with then paying $200.00 in Carmel. The furniture is nice and there is a fridge in the room. Didn't go eat breakfast cause the room was so packed you couldn't fit another person in the room. The night's are cool so if you just use the vent on your unit it will keep your room cool. If they could update their bathrooms and the carpet and the eating area I think it would be a great little find.

Room Tip: Don't get the room next to the eeating area. You can hear through the walls.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
TravellerMonterey, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Monterey Bay, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Thank you for your comments. Our new complimentary hot breakfast is popular so it does get crowded during sold out days. We apologies for that. Thanks again and hope to see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Korean first
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

awesome bargain hotel, great price, clean room, decent free breakfast, polite and friendly staff and above all honest people. I left a valuable item behind, called a week later after I checked out and the lobby operator was very helpful and told me that my item was found in lost and found. They very graciously shipped it back to me at my expense. I can not praise the staff and hotel enough and above all, it's pet friendly, what else can a traveler ask for. 5 stars for me.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the back away from the busy street
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
TravellerMonterey, Manager at Comfort Inn Monterey Bay, responded to this review, September 24, 2011
Thanks you for your 5 STAR recommendation! I am glad we were able to return your item in a timely manner. Thank you for your business and look forward to seeing you on your return visit.
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

I purchased a night at this hotel on Priceline's Name Your Price option. I knew I was bidding on a Comfort Inn type of room - so my expectations were not high when I arrived at the hotel. I was fully aware from other reviews that this was a one story, "motel" style hotel. Our room was first floor, and exterior hallways. I only needed the room for one night for myself and my daughter. We got to our room around 8 p.m., a little disappointed with the size of the room and the lack of much sound buffers, but could deal with this. The room was very stuffy and I attempted to turn on the air conditioning. When I couldn't find the controls, I called the front desk. I was informed by the front desk clerk that the room we were in did not have a/c - only heat. In fact, only half of the rooms in the hotel have a/c (and of course all of those were occupied). When I asked the clerk how I am supposed to cool down the room, she told me to "open the window". Also there was a small fan in the closet that I was supposed to plug in and use. I told her that I was traveling with my daughter and because of noise and safety concerns, I refuse to open the window for circulation. She said the windows were equipped with screens. I'm sorry, but a screen is not enough protection.

My only choice at this point was to deal with the fan and stuffiness or find another hotel, which I did not want to do at 10 p.m. The upside here (which is why I gave the property an overall rating of Poor instead of terrible) is that the Comfprt Inn manager agreed to not charge Priceline for the room - now I have to go back to Priceline to get my money back. Ugh. Priceline should not offer this hotel on its Name Your Price option, and any buyers should be notified that there is no guarantee they will receive a room with air conditioning!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
TravellerMonterey, Manager at Comfort Inn Monterey Bay, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
We appreciate your feedback, We apologies about the weather being so hot. It is always difficult to book on Priceline. In the future may I suggest calling hotel direct as you will also be able to find good deals and book a room that fits your needs. Thank you for staying with us.
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

We got a good night's sleep, even with a few airplanes flying over. The last plane of the evening flew over at about 10:00 pm and the earliest in the morning was 8:00 am. Very quiet night in between! No problems with the room or the staff. Plenty of parking and a good breakfast provided.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
TravellerMonterey, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Monterey Bay, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
We appreciate your feedback. Yes the planes are flying their normal paths so they do not disturb the hotel guests during quiet times! They were flying lower then normal several weeks ago due to the heavy fog that we were experiencing. Mother nature is back on our side. Weather is great, it is Indian Summer time in Monterey. Beautiful time to visit....
Fox River Grove, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Stayed here after day on the road and a evening in Monterey. We were looking for something affordable for one night since we had to be in Southern CA the next day.
I would call this a motel not a hotel all rooms are outside. I do not like outside rooms but for one night it was fine. The room was a little cramped but clean.
The spa that is mentioned are two hot tubs outside in an enclosed wooden structure. I had trouble turning them on so did not use.
There are flowers all over that do smell wonderful. The breakfeast is what you expect from a Comfort Inn.
I stayed here because of the price and because we were on our way in the morning. If I was to spend some time in Monterey I would spend the money and stay in a more upscale hotel close to the water. But for a night it works.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
TravellerMonterey, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Monterey Bay, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your input. We are glad we could afford you a good value during your stay in Monterey.
Pleasant Hill, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I really only have one requirement for a hotel room - cleanliness. Overall, the room and sheets were clean. Unfortunately, both of my towels were not clean -- they had hair from previous use. However, the front desk staff was friendly and the complimentary breakfast was good. The room wasn't roomy, just enough room for a bed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your input. We pride our self in providing clean and comfortable rooms. Please rest assure your comments will be reviewed with our housekeeping department.
Dublin, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

My wife and I have stayed in Comfort Inn motels in several towns and cities. So when I booked a stay in Comfort Inn Monterey, my expectations were pretty much set. A decent and comfortable stay with free breakfast.

I am glad to say that this Comfort Inn blew the roof away from all expectations I had. Right from the moment we spotted the motel sign on Freemont Street. The flowers that adorned the front of the motel was such a welcoming sight to our tired eyes. So when we came in to register at the front office, we were already smiling.

I am happy to say that that smile never left our faces for the one night we spent there. Good for us, we got the room, no 10 I believe, which is right at the entrance and facing the street. Even though location wise it might not be the ideal room, yet we loved it because of all the flowers in front of our room. Also we were woken up in the morning by the chirpings of the birds. it is such a lovely sound.

The room amenities were standard of any Comfort Inn motel. No complaints there. The front office person was very friendly and took great pains to suggest good place to eat and sports bars in the area. The morning breakfast was really good, much better than other Comfort Inn ones I've had earlier.

The next time we are in Monterey, we'll definitely stay here.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Makes us happy when we meet guest needs beyond and above expectation. Thank you for taking the time to provide us and future travelers with your input and we look forward to seeing you on your return trip to Monterey.

Been to Comfort Inn Monterey Bay? Share your experiences!