“Awesome!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
van buren ar
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My wife and i who work 7 days a week and are on call 24/7 took an 18hour hiatus from our busy schedule. We found this #1 rated hotel paid the extra so we did not have to look at the transients on the ave., and got a beachfront room on the 4th floor. We asked for an internet discount, the young man was gracious enough to work it out. $208 for the finest relaxing18 hours we have spent in a long time. Fireplace, ocean breeze, feather bed, CD's, market nite on tuesday nite, save $21 with a parking tip below!

Room Tip: parking meter in front of the hotel is not monitored all nite so if you look at the times on the met...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
Plano, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Spin Drift while driving from Las Vegas to San Francisco via LA. We passed through the Big Sur area in all it's beauty before we got to Monterey and after a day of watching beautiful landscapes, we were not expecting Spin Drift to be as wonderful an experience as it was.

Right from the time we got the hotel it was fantastic. The valet/ bell desk folks were awesome - asked me right upfront if I wanted to valet or park myself (and the cost of each) - and did a tremendous job of getting the bags out and into the room.

The lobby is small but cozy, this is a boutique hotel so public spaces are small but well maintained and well set up. As we checked in the complimentary cheese/ wine hour was coming to an end, but the lady who was overseeing the setup was kind enough to ask us if we wanted a bite and then was sweet enough to pile up a couple of plates and 2 glasses and help us take them to our room (our hands were full since we still had hand-bags).

The room was marvelous... it's not huge, but really well setup. The gas-fired but wood-burning fireplace is amazing with a couple of comfortable chairs around it to sink into... heavenly.

We splurged on getting the ocean view room, and as dusk fell there was a wonderful view out over the Bay... a beautifully serene and romantic setting.

Breakfast is delivered to the room (I guess because the Inn doesnt really have space for a breakfast room), but it's quite appropriate... we woke up watching a sea gull on our ledge and think we saw some seals out in the water (there are binoculors on the seat by the window if you want)... so breakfast was an relaxing, intimate setting.

Overall this was a wonderful 1 night stay over a Saturday night. It was extremely cold this weekend across the West Coast and Monterey was freezeing too... but the warmth of the people at Spin Drift as well as the fireplace in the room made our stay memorable.

Room Tip: Splurge on the ocean view rooms. Wonderful views out over the bay.
La Habra, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I really hate to call this place "average." It seemed so promising based on all the reviews. The rooms really are lovely, and the location is great. But, please call before you stay here and ask if there is still construction going on. I stayed here to rest and relax, and was awakened by loud hammering and construction men looking right into my room. They were across the street on scaffolds, putting them eye-level with my balcony. They also were using drills and staple guns. So, sitting on my balcony was a no-go. Not unless I wanted to watch men at work. And sleeping in, well forget that! Also, I asked for the quietest room possible. When I arrived, I was put in room 210. The second floor rooms open to the lobby, so all the lobby noise travels up and into the rooms. All the other floors are enclosed. So, not only was there noise coming from outside the hotel, but there was noise coming form inside the hotel! Very disappointing, especially since I took the time to make a request. I feel that they could have put me in a much quieter setting! Customer service: fail. This is the first time tripadvisor lead me astray. Unfortunately, I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 210 opens to Cannery Row and was very noisy!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IOM-ManagerResponse, General Manager at Spindrift Inn, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
I want to thank this reviewer, first and foremost, for taking the time to share their feedback regarding their recent stay at our hotel. Honest comments from our guests, either received directly or through their posts on TripAdvisor, are very important to me as they provide the best possible insight into how our services are being received and how we might make improvements.

Regarding this guests comments about the construction – this was, indeed, something taking place on a historic building across the street from the hotel. Though we made every effort to remind the construction crews of the noise ordinance in the area, this building is in no way affiliated with the hotel and, unfortunately, the restorative construction taking place was something outside of our control.
That being said, please know that this work has been completed, as of Tuesday February 5th, and is no longer impacting our guests.

To address this guest’s request for a quiet room, I must point out that all of our Cannery Row view rooms face the exact same direction. When requests such as this are made, we attempt to give the guest the room which we believe would provide them the greatest enjoyment. Many guests far prefer the rooms with balconies, with the ability to sit out and watch over the activity of Cannery Row. In this instance, with the unexpected noise and disturbance of the construction, it is understandable how this normally welcome room-feature was instead disappointing. I want to sincerely apologize to this guest for the disturbance, and that we were unable to offer a suitable solution while they were staying at the hotel.
If this guest would like to reach out to the hotel directly, I would be more than happy to further discuss their concerns.

Likewise, should any guest wish to speak with our managers directly regarding a question or concern, please do not hesitate to give us a call. We consider comments from all of our guests – both current and future – to be genuinely valuable, and we welcome all feedback.

the General Manager
Turlock, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is a must for every couple. The Spindrift in offers the Best service, and perfect for Romance. Their location is prime! Without reservation, it earns the highest recommendation possible. The fireplace in the room and front lobby is a warm welcoming. The wine, cheese and crackers are delicious and the people are some of the most hospitable.

Room Tip: Pick this place if you are looking for great romance and a outstanding location.
West Stockbridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Touristy part of town. Cannery row. But right on the ocean. Superb staff and service and helpful people in the inn. Great location unless you want to be away from tourists. Beaches and bikes and kayaks a few steps away. Truly a beautiful hotel. Breakfast delivered to room...simple and good, and included in price. We had a room overlooking the ocean. Binoculars included. Bath salts. Window seat where you can watch the ocean if you are not in it. Very relaxing room with fireplace. Lots of amenities. Couldn't have been a better choice for us. Lots of character. Understated elegance.

Room Tip: Fireplace in winter. Overlook ocean if you want to pay the price. All good.
Beaufort, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The small, intimate Sprindrift Inn is a wonderful place to relax in Cannery Row on Monterey Bay. We stopped without a reservation and couldn't get a waterfront room, but loved our fireplace room with a few of the town.

Stunning room, great service. Cannot recommend it more highly.

Room Tip: Rooms on the water side are worth the extra money, but street side is nice too!
Orinda, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I was fortunate to spend one night at the Spindrift Inn on Cannery Row in Monterey. The hotel has the cozy feel of a "Boutique Hotel". The lobby is comfortably appointed with a large welcoming fireplace. I had a lovely Ocean front room complete with Gas fireplace. I chose a room on the ground floor, because it had larger windows for the view. The windows open so you can listen to the surf, right below the hotel. There is a small beach and the view is across the Monterey Bay-beautiful! There were binoculars in the room so you can look for otters and other ocean mammals or get a closer look at boats going by. Rooms were clean and well appointed, very comfortable bedding. There was a nice wine a cheese reception in the afternoon, a great time to mingle with other guests. The Hotel staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful. The location is right on Cannery row, very convenient for restaurants, shopping and the Aquarium. I can't speak to the noise level for rooms on the Cannery Row side of the building, but on the bay side there was no noise from the street when I was there (although it was a winter week night). Room service is available and a Continental breakfast served in the room is included with your stay. The only drawback, which is inherent to the location, is the parking, you can park at meters on the street, pay a steep fee to valet park you car or self park in a garage in the area. I would choose the Spindrift Inn again on a return visit to Monterey

Room Tip: I chose a room on the ground floor, because it had large windows for the view. The upstairs rooms h...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Spindrift Inn? Share your experiences!