“Could be great for a Romantic Weekend!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Pacific
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Pacific Street, Monterey, CA 93940   |
Ranked #25 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
West Hollywood
“Could be great for a Romantic Weekend!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I was on a business trip to Monterey and my Director recommended the Hotel Pacific. I could see that if you were on a romantic weekend with a loved one this may be the place to stay but it was a little too much for just me alone on a business trip.
There was a working gas fireplace, hardwood floors, a balcony, a breakfast nook, a double-bath (shower and tub), and a lot of extra space in the unit.
The complaint, don’t stay on the street side it is very noisy. Weird in a very quiet town how loud the street noise can be where there isn’t any other noise and the windows did not keep out any of the sound. Given the floors were hard wood and the walls all empty plaster - the stomping from above and the elevator was deafening. I can’t sleep with banging above me. I recommend staying away from the elevator and on the upper level if possible.
If you’re a fanatic about spotless furniture you may want to pick another place. The furniture has been used. It wasn’t dirty, just stained and… well, used.
I rarely say discouraging things about a place, I just don’t rate them… but this place has good things about it. I wouldn’t discourage you from staying; just tell you what to expect… it appears even my colleagues agree with my observations.

Room Tip: Upper level, away from the street and elevator.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed there for one night, and the room was so cozy and inviting I didn't want to go out again. Has the spanish hacienda feel down perfectly. I stayed in a king suite, and outside my room, 235, was a spacious, wonderful courtyard. There were fountains in a courtyad that you would find in a grand hotel, and gave me the inclination to sit, relax and enjoy a glass of wine. (By the way, there was a corkscrew and wine glasses in the room)
The continental breakfast was so, so, but nice to have none the less.
Completely recommed this hotel, it does cost to park here. $19, but thats not bad compared to a local garage.
It's an easy walk to the downtown area, where we were luck enough to run into a local street fair.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Petaluma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I consider the Hotel Pacific a 1st class hotel. This is like staying home away from home, the rooms are spacious and cozey. The beds are big and comfy having the feather beds. Good breakfast, something for everyone.

Room Tip: I have stayed at the Hotel Pacific many times over the past twenty five years and our stay has alway...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
oakland, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

This downtown Monterey boutique hotel feels like a classic Spanish colonial building you can spend the night in! We stayed in 2 courtyard rooms 227 and 228) with a HUGE patio surrounded by adobe walls. Fountains provide white noise. Spacious room offers seating for 4, fireplace, lovely king bed, 2 showers! Way romantic. I used miles to pay, but off-season rates were less than other nice area hotels.

• Stayed September 2012
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed overnight here with my spouse whilst exploring Monterey and Carmel. We used Expedia to book and wanted a hotel on Cannery row but none available so settled for this due to proximity to Fishermans Wharf n Cannery area.. The hotel is lacking on service and my husband and I had quite a haul with our luggage getting it to our room, via an elevator from the parking area. Rooms are spacious, comfortable suites with kitchenettes and sitting room. The breakfast room was small, very crammed and service very poor. Overall this hotel was otherwise ok for location and room size but I would look at other options in the future.

• Stayed July 2012
Pleasant Hill, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Very nice, clean, unique. Main thing we didn't like was paying to park in the hotels garage. Seems tacky to charge for that. It's quick walk to the pier and many nice restaurants nearby. Continental breakfast is good. Rooms very quiet and comfortable.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Santa Cruz, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My stay at the Hotel Pacific was disappointing and painful. I will not recommend it; I will warn friends using wheelchairs to avoid it.

The person making my reservation explained that I use a wheelchair. When I checked in I was using my wheelchair and my travel bag was hung on it.

The room - a junior suite- was under lit and included an empty fireplace. I had to pass between the bathroom door and closet doors twice; once to open the bathroom door, a second time to open the small closet. I asked for – and received- extra hangers for my clothes in the small closet.

The bathroom included stone tile floors and a shower set up inside a bathtub. The shower was not wheelchair accessible.

I have limited mobility outside my wheelchair. Wednesday morning, September 19, I parked my wheelchair near the bathtub and tried to swing my legs in. After five minutes I got one leg in.
I noticed that there was no soap dish or ledge inside the shower area. Instead of a safety mat inside the tub, there was a faint pattern on the bottom that was not slip resistant. I started my shower straddled across one side of the tub.

My balance wavered, so I took another five minutes to get my other leg into the tub. I showered carefully, leaning against the grab bar of the inaccessible shower area.

After rinsing off, I tried to get my legs over and out of the tub, one at a time. I was not successful. The phone in the bathroom was too far away to use.

So I crawled over the wall of the tub onto the cold floor. I crawled on the floor to my wheelchair and then pulled myself upright. The parts of my body that were on the floor hurt later Wednesday and were still painful Thursday.

The room was difficult to maneuver in a wheelchair. The bathroom and shower were not accessible.

If a no step or roll in shower were available in another room, I should have been offered another room when I checked in. If my room is considered wheelchair accessible, please understand that it is not wheelchair accessible.

Room Tip: Ask for what you need: If you need an accessible - no step or roll in - shower insist on it. You wi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Pacific? Share your experiences!