“Nice hotel in a nice location” 4 of 5 stars

Ocean View King w/balcony
Ranked #4 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice hotel in a nice location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

This might be a bit long, so bear with me. I really enjoyed my stay at the Monterey Bay Inn, but there were just a couple of glitches. I reserved and paid in advance for an ocean front room and called in advance to ask that I be given a room on the 4th (top) floor because I read that it was the quietest. I spoke with Quinn who was very accommodating and said he would also note that in my reservation and request a room with an open wrought iron balcony for better viewing. Very nice, right? But when I tried to check in at 2:30, Wendy said that check in time was 4pm, and essentially tried to tell me to come back at 4. I had just seen her check in a couple right before me and she gave them an ocean front room with a fireplace. Why were they checked in immediately, but I (as a single female) was given the run around? I protested a bit and she then searched through her computer (for quite a while) and said that the only ocean facing room available was on the 2nd floor (apparently the family floor where most of the folks with kids stay). She also said that they don't hold or promise special room requests. I put up a bit of a fuss, so she called housekeeping, and then came back with a room on the 3rd floor. I really just wanted to check in, so I accepted the room. Unfortunately, the room had a balcony with a solid wall, which had limited viewing when seated and felt claustrophobic. So not only did I not get my 4th floor room, but didn't get the open balcony:(
The room was nicely decorated, had all the amenities you could ask for including Aveda products and wonderful bathrobes (which you can purchase for $90), nice linens, plus binoculars for viewing the wildlife. I did see lots of seabirds and some sea otters, but never caught site of any sea lions, although I could hear them in the distance. Also, had a very nice bathroom. Nice turn down service and continental breakfast delivered to your door - Breakfast was fine - slice of orange, grapefruit and melon, plus a small croissant and rasberry danish pastry plus pot of coffee, and orange juice. I would recommend going to First Awakenings for breakfast one morning in the American Tin Alley down the street - fantastic breakfasts, best scratch pancakes ever (gigantic, only order 1). The hotel staff seemed very accomodating and very friendly other than my initial check in experience. Overall, a nice place to stay - I would definitely recommend it. It has a smaller, more down to earth feel than the Monterey Bay Plaza and the Intercontinental down the street. Both were bigger and more luxurious looking.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Los Angeles, Ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

What to say!!!
I learned a good lesson which is don't believe anything until your eyes see it!
Another one don't ever book in a hotel that contains "Inn" in its name ... They will try to make you feel it's a five star hotel .. .but IT'S NOT ... IT'S LITERALLY AN INN like motel 8 or vagabond or whatsoever...

Don't get me wrong ... See please my full comments because I really liked the room. This is the reason why they still have points in my review, because I'd rate the room as 5/5, but 0/5 for the rest of things, including the service, the cleanliness of the building, their entrance, parking lots ... etc.

I didn't think twice when I paid $255 for one night in this "Inn", guessing that they're the best since they're located on the pacific. I even dismissed a really five star hotel near this "Inn" because it was my honeymoon and I wanted to book the best, considering the highest one would be that ... But IT WAS NOT!!!

I was impressed when I entered the first one (the floor was $179), because they have the same name except that the real five-star one has plaza not "Inn". After not finding my name, I discovered that my booking was with this one, Monterey Bay Inn. I walked to it with a full confidence that it would be better to find my self parking in a literally motel, or specifically an "Inn". Here are what we found:

* Only one person on the check-in point, having a warm discussion with someone who clearly from his comments had an unpleasant stay with them!!!

* A sign says: Sorry for any inconvenience!! But our elevators are under maintenance and we will not be used for 12 days!!!

What!! I gave you a five-star price to have an inconvenience service and an apology!

* The exterior look or design of this motel is terrible. Believe me it was literally like the motels you see in the movies!! See my pictures that I will download to check my words.

* Greed: The nearby hotel that have the same name but with Plaza (instead of Inn) offered me a free valet parking, a five star floor, a five star outside looking for a lower price (Either 179 or 197 I don't recall)!!! But for this "Inn" with $255, they still charge $15 for parking your car in a very small and tight lot!

* The Room: I have to be honest, the room I booked with balcony in front of the pacific is great. I gave it 5/5 without hesitation. The room was clean, well organized, but what's the point if this room was in a building that looks like a 2-star motel!!

* The breakfast: The worst one I had in my entire honeymoon! My wife and I only enjoy it when we were feeding the birds together our breakfast!

My recommendation is that don't be fooled and at least "Think twice" if you want to book a good or fancy hotel and saw a word like "Inn"

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by their rooms photos.... Their exterior looks like a cheap motel or inn, so don...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IOM-ManagerResponse, General Manager at Monterey Bay Inn, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
I want to thank this reviewer, first and foremost, for taking the time to share their obviously well-thought out feedback regarding their recent stay. That time that clearly went into this review is hugely appreciated, as honest comments from our guest truly serve as our best opportunity to make improvements.

Though the elevator was not running during this guest’s stay, please know that it was actually a scheduled service that was taking place. In an effort to enhance the experience of all of our guests, we brought in a crew to make a comprehensive update to the elevator; replacing all of its mechanisms, and updating the cabin. Each member of our reservation staff was instructed to be honest and clear regarding the work, and I want to sincerely apologize that this was not better communicated to this guest.
Please know that this work concluded in mid-January, and I do hope that this guest will consider a return trip so that they are able to experience the smoother, more modern changes for themselves.

Regarding this reviewer’s comments about their rate; even at our busiest times, our mission is to provide an authentic Monterey get-away, with an environment dedicated to personal and attentive service. Through this we hope to create an experience that our guests feel is valuable. I hope that this guest, as well as others, will take a moment to visit our website. There, we offer specials and packages year round, allowing people to experience our property in unique and cost-effective ways.

Thank you, again, for your feedback.
Should any guest wish to speak with our managers directly regarding a question or concern, please do not hesitate to give us a call. We consider comments from all of our guests – both current and future – to be genuinely valuable, and we welcome all feedback.

the General Manager
Placerville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Beautiful view from the panoramic window/balcony. The room was very clean and lovely. The staff was accomodating and friendly. The turn-down service and breakfast delivered directly to the room was a nice touch.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Short walk to Cannery Row and its restaurants and bars. Spacious room with great sea views, (in-room binoculars super idea - not game controller as we first thought). Adequate breakfast service delivered to room.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We recently stayed 4 nights at the hotel. The room was very clean and spacious. The bed very comfortable. Breakfast was very enjoyable,delivered right on time, and we were able to enjoy it while still in our pjs instead of having to get dressed to go to a breakfast room. We really enjoyed having our drinks in the hot tub while enjoying the sounds of the sea lions from the pier, and watching the sea otters from our balcony was just amazing.We also enjoyed the fresh baked cookies every afternoon in the lobby.

Healdsburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We frequent Monterey for a short getaway. We have tried a couple of other hotels on Cannery Row. None (at any price) match our enjoyment of the Monterey Bay Inn. The staff is always friendly and very helpful. The rooms have great views. Since we have returned often we are greeted with a nice welcome card and gift in our room on arrival. Ease of access and parking is a real plus! Look forward to many more visits.

Room Tip: We love the bay view rooms on the 4th floor. Higher the number the better i.e. 408, 409
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed 2 nights for my wife's birthday and were charmed by a well appointed beutiful room on the water. You can sip wine on your private balcony and gaze out on Monterey Bay. At night as the fog roles in you can hear the harbour fog horn in the distance and the sound of the waves below...I have not slept so well in a long time. Also, a very comfortable bed. There is a cool hot tub on the roof with great views and a tasty breakfast delivered to your room in the am. Great stay and friendly staff

Room Tip: Don't get hung up on the ocean view, harbour rooms also have a great view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Monterey Bay Inn? Share your experiences!