“Ok, not great.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
Davis CA
“Ok, not great.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2007

Had a business meeting at the property. Stayed three nights. The biggest drawback with the rooms is that the sink area of the bathroom cannot be closed off. If someone needs to get ready early they most likely will wakeup the other person. The top floor banquet room has a great view. The staff was very pleasant. The wait staff at the Three Flags Cafe were a bit overwhelmed on Sunday at breakfast. Very convenient location to the Aquarium and Wharf. You can get the free trolley 1/2 block away. After having stayed in NY at the Marriott two weeks ago, I had that property to compare this to. This just wasn't as good.

• Liked — Top floor banquet facility
  • Disliked — Bathroom setup
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
los angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2007

Just returned from a 3 night stay. I was initially impressed with the upgraded rooms and linens. Our front desk person was very helpful in checking us in and made sure we were in one of the "quietest "rooms. As my visit progressed I found the help to be unbearable. The kitchen staff was rude and unhelpful. The last night of our stay at 1 am a party (with a least 10 or so guests in the room next door) began. It was so loud that neither my husband nor myself could sleep. Ringing doorbells, screaming guests asking where the booze was, etc. The hotel staff promised to ask the offending group to stop and they claimed they asked them to leave but upon further discussion( and 4 phone calls to the front desk) we discovered that they felt we were overreacting. At 2 am they promised they would "try" again and they were just doing "Their best". No manager available and no real concern for paying guests whose reason for being there was to SLEEP. After the fourth call the front desk offered me a free breakfast.. how about giving me my well-needed sleep back? Apparently the policy is to ask noisy guests to quiet down but not really enforce a quiet policy. I would NEVER stay here again. The management needs a serious overhaul.

Stayed June 2007
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

We went to Monterey to celebrate our 26 wedding anniversary. I have to say I was very impressed with the staff. We checked in and we were surprised with an upgrade to a junior suite. I was so excited. I couldn't wait to see the room. WOW! I was very disappointed. It was at the front of the hotel with NO view. We had a huge patio but it was full of seagull droppings and Seagulls. Our view was the top of the building across the street. Not what I invisioned for a catagory 6 Marriott. The room was very old and outdated. It was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. I know catagory 7 is Marriott's top catagory so I expected a much classier looking property. This should have been rated a 3 or 4. Especially for the price we paid. The staff was very helpful. From the concierge to the door man to the check in staff to the houskeeping all were very professional and had wonderful personalites. Unfortunately the hotel needs some major TLC to bring it up to the Marriott standards.

• Disliked — very old and outdated
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2007

On April 20, 2007 my parents and I stayed in the Monterey Marriott in an "elite" two double bed room. The nicely appointed garden view room overlooked the interior courtyard, spa and pool area.

I am a fanatic about cleanliness and was most appreciative to find that the room, bedding, bathroom, and vanity/dressing area were clean and fresh. The tub and toilet were separated from the vanity/dressing area by a sliding door, which was a little challenging, but allowed for more room in the dressing area. The bathroom and vanity/dressing area were well lit and even had a separate lighted make-up mirror. The beds were very comfortable. My only disappointment was with the air conditioning; it did not cool as I wanted.

The in-house restaurant presented excellent service, and breakfast was absolutely delicious. There was so much food; the presentation was very appealing. The prices were most reasonable for the amount and variety of breakfast foods. A menu was available, but we enjoyed the large self service buffet. It held hot scrambled eggs, breakfast meats and potatoes, a variety of "continental" items, i.e.sweet and toast breads, fruits, hot and cold cereals, yogurts, as well as a two-cook station with cooked-to-order eggs, waffles and crepes. Again, delicious!

Overall, I believe the facility and services provided were excellent. I will definitely return. Kudos to the Management and staff!

Stayed April 2007
Napa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2007

We loved the Monterey Marriott. The staff was friendly and attentive. The rooms were beautiful and clean. The beds were very comfortable. I loved the shampoo and body wash they use. We had a small balcony on the 8th floor where we could see the bay. God blessed us with a full moon to watch rise every night over the bay. It was awesome. The hotel is perfectly located. The Monterey Conference Center is across the street, and if you walk a few steps further, you will be at Fisherman's Wharf.

We rented a surrey that was by the conference center, and the kids all took a turn driving. But mostly they wanted to enjoy the hotel. The pool was perfect, and the hot tub was just right. Decent size exercize room.

The best part is there is a little beach within walking distance. Perfect for the younger kids and for launching a kayak or canoe.

There is a parking fee at the hotel. There is one at a lot of the hotels near the Cannery and Wharf. I think that last time I paid something over $20 a day, at the Marriott it was only $16.

Stayed April 2007
stockton, california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

Not worth the money.

Positive - location is close to the wharf, just a few miles to the aquarium. The check-in staff was great. The breakfast buffet was very good. The fitness room and pool are decent.

Minus - parking is valet parking only at $18/day and not very convenient for coming and going ( they delivered cars quickly when you could get through to them on the phone). The rooms 'mostly' clean but dated. Bay view rooms are noisy.
The staff doesn't pay attention to details, eg, extra towels were delivered one day but gone after maid service the next day (and yes, we always leave the maid a very nice tip). The full service restaurant at the top of the hotel is closed.
Could not get through to the front desk on the phone at 11 am, went down there and there was the front desk manager and another clerk standing there talking.

• Liked — breakfast and the sports bar
  • Disliked — not enough attention to details
  • Stayed April 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Wallingford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2007

Perhaps we were a little spoiled by our first few nights in Monterey when we stayed at the Old Monterey Inn (Fabulous!), but we were very disappointed in this hotel and will not stay here again. Paid over $300/night and got: tiny ants in the bathroom; beat up furniture; expensive parking. Upon returning to our room our second day, we walked into what smelled like marijuana smoke in the room. Called the front desk; security came up and immediately said "yep, there's a problem here". They moved us to another room and after negotiations gave us a discount (not nearly enough to compensate for the inconvenience). Long story short-never again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Monterey Marriott? Share your experiences!