“Started with disappointment” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #14 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
“Started with disappointment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

First let me say, I like staying at the Marriott and have stayed at quite a few in the Bay Area. This location was fine and the amenities were the standard expected for Marriott. I am a rewards member but was disappointed to find out at check-in that I would not be receiving rewards points for this stay due to the fact that I booked through an internet site, even though the rep I spoke with at the site said I would receive them at check-in. At least the lady at the front desk was friendly when telling me the points were a no-go. I learned a lesson and will not book a room through internet sites again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment. In order to ensure you get your points, you can book on the internet through our website http://www.marriott.com/mryca or call us directly at 1-831-649-4234

Thank you for being a loyal guest, I hope to see you again.
~ Rene B.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed here for a wedding weekend with many other couples in May, 2014. Check in was so easy, and the staff could not have been nicer. Our room was quite large and overlooked the street. The only issue that we had with our room was how loud it was. We could hear our neighbors above, below and on both sides very, very clearly. Didn't make for the best sleeping conditions, but the bed was very comfortable, so that was a definite plus. The location of the hotel is truly perfect. Walking distance to the Aquarium, Cannery Row and so many fun restaurants and beaches, etc. The rehearsal dinner for the wedding was on the top floor of the hotel, and WHAT A VIEW! So beautiful, and such a fantastic space. Overall, a great stay, just wish the walls were thicker!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool and on higher floors are MUCH quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
I am delighted to hear about your stay, thank you for your comments. It's great when guests reiterate how close we are to everything in Monterey - and even walking distance. I hope you'll stay with us again.
Henley in Arden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I stay in lots of Marriott hotels with work and was here with the family on points. Great location, better than average staff and rooms , pool etc as good as you would expect in a Marriott of this type. No exec lounge but gave free breakfast vouchers for 2 instead.

I have been here before and would happy stay again

Room Tip: Get a bay view on a higher floor
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review and for being a loyal guest. I'm delighted to hear that you'd stay with us again.
Concord, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We spent 2 nights here in June 2014. We are silver elite guests. Upon arrival, our room was not yet ready, so Jing at reception arranged for a complimentary upgrade to a stellar room. She was most gracious and friendly. Our room was immaculate and well designed for comfort, with outstanding bay view. Jaime, who appears to do double duty as bell captain and concierge while we were there, was very efficient in helping us settle in, and gave us lots of pointers on where to go to dine, get to the Wharf, get the free trolley, etc. He is the best! Because it was our anniversary, Virginia arranged for chocolate covered strawberries as a complimentary amenity. We utilized room service several times and were very happy with the prompt delivery and quality. The pool was in a lovely setting, but a bit cool while we were there. The valet parking is a bit expensive, but handy as the closest public parking was a little distance away. All of the staff were friendly and helpful, but Jing and Jaime were outstanding. We will not hesitate to return and take advantage of all the hotel has to offer: location, views, comfort, and terrific staff.

Room Tip: bay view rooms on high levels recommended. We were on the 8th floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for being loyal guests and for telling me about your experience. I'm delighted that you had such a wonderful time and will be sure to let the staff know how much you appreciate them.
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

If your are travelling with kids - you will be in good company here. Standard rooms are a bit small - but functional. Swimming pool is perfect for kids - 4' deep the whole length - most kids can stand if they are not comfortable swimmer. If you are an elite member - the breakfast buffet is great and $6 for kids - otherwise there are a lot of good places to eat nearby. At that is why you stay here - there are a lot of places nearby -- food and attraction - and even parking if you don't feel like dropping $25 for the valet --

enjoyed our stay

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
It's great to hear that your family had a nice stay. Thank you for being a loyal Elite Member. I hope you'll return.
Huntington, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Only stayed one night. Nice room. Very conveniently located to trolley, stores and restaurants. Very friendly staff. Room was ready by noon which was a plus. Valet parking for a fee. Always enjoy marriott hotels.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for being a loyal guest, I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

After having a really pleasant stay with excellent service I left my engagement ring on the bedside table in my room.
Not noticing until the next day after we checked out, I contacted the hotel and to my surprise it was handed in. Not only did the hotel courier my ring to the next destination with no trouble, there was also no charge. Thanks you to the honest staff member who handed it in and the excellent service from the Marriott.

Stayed June 2014
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and we're glad that we were able to get your ring back to you so quickly. Thank you for staying with us.
~ Rene B.

Been to Monterey Marriott? Share your experiences!