“Nice Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sacramento, California
“Nice Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed for a weekend getaway to visit the aquarium. From the moment we pulled up to our departure it was a very good experience. The Bellmen/valet was very courteous and helpful. Our toddler was given a couple of stuffed animals on arrival and she was thrilled. The room was nice and we had a nice view of the bay. We had an opportunity to eat breakfast in the restaurant and it was very good. We were able to walk to Fishermans Wharf and the trolly stop was across the street. Very convenient location to get around. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for sharing your wonderful recommendation on TripAdvisor. We love to make our guests feel at home as soon as they arrive, and I'm so happy that we succeeded during your stay. Likewise, I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the beautiful attractions in our immediate area. I hope you will return to stay with us again in the future. - Rene

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Madison, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I've read many of the reviews as I usually do prior to writing mine, and always give an honest opinion as a business and leisure traveller. First of all, I am a loyal Marriott customer and have been for quite a while, after experiencing some of the competition. At first I was hesitant thinking this was an older property, and would not be what I expected. Boy, was I wrong. From the moment we pulled up to the entrance, and the young men greeted us at the valet, they were cheerful, and curteous. Entering the lobby, we fond it to be spacious, clean, and welcoming. The front desk staff were wonderful, especially the young lady, Alyssa, who checked us in. This is one of the main reasons I choose Marriott, because of their great customer service. When I made reservations, I requested an upgrade to an "ocean View" if available since I'm a Platinum Member, but that does not always happen in a popular tourist area. Alyssa said an ocean view room was not ready yet (we arrived early) but said they could hold our luggage if we wished to wait. The wait was only about 30 minutes, but well worth it. We were in room 773 which had an ocean view, although partially obstructed, it was still perfect. There are those who complain regardless, but I have travelled all over the U.S. and Europe, and appreciate a nice room. The room was spacious, very clean, quiet, and most of all, comfortable. For Platinum Members, WiFi is complimentary, as is the continentinal breakfast in the downstairs restaurant. There isn't a Concierge Lounge, but I found that to be a minor inconvenience here. If you opt for a buffet breakfast instead of the complimentary continental breakfast (Platinum Members), for an additional fee of $5.00 per person, it was well worth it. You can have eggs cooked to order, and a good selection of other breakfast items. The restaurant staff were outstanding as well, and go out of their way to make you happy. This was the best buffet breakfast I've found in quite sometime, so I indulged in it daily, although I'm not much of a breakfast person. I can't rate the Sport's Bar and Grill since we never ate there, but I'm sure it is good as well. I can't recall a stay at any hotel where I've found such friendly, and courteous staff, from the moment you arrive until the moment you leave. That includes every single person we came in contact with including the housekeeping staff. The rooms were kept spotless the entire stay, and there was not one single thing I could find to give a negative rating. Valet parking is a bit pricey at $24.00 per day, but it is in and out, and the service was quick, so it was worth it. The other option was to park two blocks away, and pay every time you go in and out, plus deal with some homeless people roaming the streets. The area is clean, and about a block away from Fisherman's Wharf by foot. You only have to cross one street to get there. The hotel has quick access to everything, and a great location for your stay. The perfect spot for a vacation, and across the street from the Convention Center. Highway 1 is a few blocks away, and the drive to Carmel, and Big Sur is a must. It is quite obvious from the moment you arrive, the General Manager at this hotel has high standards, and runs things the Marriott way. Nothing but the best in customer service and satisfaction. I would highly recommend the Marriott for your stay in Monterey, or even the Carmel area. Any time I return, this will be the only place I will stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are clean and comfortable
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you, I do have high standards and am so glad that you were able to enjoy the property so much. We take pride in our service and like to assure all of our guests are treated well. I'll be sure to let Alyssa know that you really appreciated her service as well. Again, thank you and I hope you will stay with us again.
Davis, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed her with my mother for mother daughter weekend. Greeting by valet service was very welcoming. We were put in 2nd floor room that was recently renovated. Room was very practical. Had glimpse of bay from our room. Hotel is in great location to catch MST trolley that takes you from downtown Monterey to wharf, cannery riw and aquarium free of charge. Convenient walk to many restaurants. Valet personnel were very attentive and helpful. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask fir newly renovated room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us for your mother-daughter weekend, it sounds like you had a great time. I hope you'll come back and stay with us.
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Wonderful stay this weekend. Everybody was very friendly and attentive. From driving up to the valet to right before entering the elevator.

The room was very clean upon arrival and the room was very spacious. The room we had was on the 7th floor and has a little balcony which was nice.

The location is very close to the wharf, as well as restaurants/cafes/some bars!

Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you, I look forward to having you as a guest again.
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Nothing really extraordinary here
Good check in and out
Again limited eating options and the bar would need a renovation to make it more appealing
Breakfast was good though.
We were disapointed by the "ocean view" and really this is something hotels should take care of
When the view is not in front, dont sell it as an ocean view.
Well located

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your thoughts. I hope you'll come back and let us be extraordinary for you.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Very good Marriott Hotel, this is the perfect location to sleep and rest when visiting Carmel by the sea. The rooms are spacious and the bed it´s outstanding.
Location is tremendous and i recomend it for sure

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the review and for staying with us. I appreciate that you'll be recommending us and hope to see you again.
Orange County, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Stayed at this Marriott for Pebble Beach classic auto weekend. Facility is, like many full service Marriotts, getting a bit shabby. The outstanding staff - especially the valets - made up for this. The location is a bit if a drive from the events at Pebble Beach and Carmel, but you are in the thick of a couple of large auctions. There were probably more Lambos and Ferraris per capita in Monterey this weekend than anyplace else (except behind Harrod's). The Marriott is within close walking distance of the touristy wharf and several good restaurants.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor. The elevators are fast. Try for an ocean...harbor view. The backside is a ne...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for staying with us and for telling us about your experience. We are going to be doing some more renovations soon so I hope you can come back and see us afterward.

Been to Monterey Marriott? Share your experiences!