“Great hotel in fantastic location” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #16 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, UK
“Great hotel in fantastic location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had a lovely huge room overlooking the pool/jacuzzi. You cannot beat the location. A 5 minute walk takes you to the Wharf. There's a council car park nearby that costs only $10 (I think) a day so you can avoid the valet parking costs, although it does mean you can't go in and out.

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this hotel. We didn't really use the facilities (bar, pool, etc) but in terms of room comfort and location - fab.

Best of all, when I stupidly left my favourite top in the wardrobe and only realised 2 days later, they couldn't have been more helpful. Rick, the loss prevention officer, was wonderful - tracked it down, sent it to my next hotel. I cannot thank him enough.

We walked to the Cannery Row area both nights. It's a fair walk but the path along the shorefront is so lovely, with the seals, otters and sealions to spot! Highly recommend Hula's restaurant - absolutely wonderful. Especially on 'wine down Wednesdays' when wine is half price!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Customer service is of the utmost importance to us, and I'm delighted that Rick did everything he could to return your favorite top. Likewise, I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed our spacious accommodations and perfect location in downtown Monterey. Thank you for sharing your review, and I hope you will stay with us again on your next visit. - Rene

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Currently in our stay, so I will update as we experience more. Good location, helpful front desk staff upon check in. We got in late, so there were no rooms with a view left and no upgrade available (gold member).

Cons - No concierge lounge, no safe in room, and our rooms has a fake wall between the beds and the bathroom area.

Pros - I do like that the location is convenient to everything but not in the middle of the touristy part of town, at least it feels this way. Very nice staff thus far. Breakfast voucher option (haven't used it though)

Gym is better than the average.

Valet seems a bit steep considering rates at nearby garage, but that is expected.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback. I'm happy that you are enjoying our wonderful location in Monterey, and I look forward to receiving more of your feedback once your stay is complete. Safes are available upon request, and I apologize that we did not make this clear when you checked in. Please do not hesitate to ask our managers or staff if there is anything that we can do to make your stay with us more convenient. - Rene
TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

The Marriott is about a block from the Wharf area, and several blocks from Cannery Row, which was a nice fit for us, as we didn't particularly care for the Cannery Row area. Good location, nice room, and the staff were really great to us. In particular Jamie gave us some great recommendations, and when we were lacking wine glasses and a corkscrew to enjoy a special bottle of wine we had gotten in Sonoma, Liza at the bar was happy to accommodate our needs, and helped to make a special memory for us. Definitely take a walk on the water, lots of harbor seals, and we even spotted a hummingbird or two. There is a valet fee, but you will find that at any of the hotels in that area.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room on an upper floor, in the courtyard area, and it was a good fit for us.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for your great review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and will let Jamie and Liza know that they helped make your stay particularly special. All of us at Marriott are passionate about hospitality and we hope to see you again soon. - Rene
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Nice hotel close to the beach (5-10 min walk). The facilities for a business event were good. Room/bathroom were nice and clean. The aquarium is not very close but shouldn't be too far even for walking there. I think Monterey has a shuttle like bus but not sure if it connects the hotel to other attractions.

There is an area near the hotel with a lot of shops and usually some fair like events on weekends. It was very lively there.

The breakfast was awesome with a lot of options. We used the valet parking and those guys are very friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing us during your nearby "stay-cation" in Monterey. We're proud of our central location for easy access to some of the best local attractions, and I'm glad that you could make use of this. If you had a comfortable night's sleep and a delicious breakfast, then I couldn't be happier. We hope to see you again on your next visit. - Rene
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed 1 night in June 13. Great location, good rooms, modern decor, free gym and pool. Only some minor gripes:

we thought it was free parking - it isn't, it valet parking and it isn't free
no free wifi - an anachronism in 2013

For the price we paid, I expected these to be included in the price. If you are happy with the price and what's included, its a great hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. I'm very happy that enjoyed our well-appointed accommodations and our wonderful location in downtown Monterey. Unfortunately, we have no control over in-room wireless fees since it is a corporate decision. However, I hope you could make use of the complimentary WiFi that we offer in the Lobby. - Rene
FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were treated to a nice upgrade so that helped make this a nice stay. The staff seem very efficient and friendly. The location is great and the room nice and clean. The breakfast was nicely done, but as with most chain hotels somewhat overpriced. The concierge seemed knowledgeable about the area and quickly got an answer to a question we asked. Just a few steps from the pier area with shops, restaurants and sea lions and sea otters!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Our dedicated staff members love to upgrade our guests whenever they can, and I'm happy to hear that they could do it for you. I'm also glad that you could make the most of our unbeatable location in downtown Monterey while enjoying the comfort of our well-appointed guest rooms. Thank you for your wonderful review, and I hope you will stay with us again in the future.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

The staff was friendly from the front desk to the housekeeping. Felt terrible when I spilled a ton of water in the elevator lobby on our floor, but the housekeeper was as nice as could be when I confessed my clumsiness.

The location is pretty good. Easy walk to piers and things on the water, as well as restaurants (see my review of Restaurant 1833 - yum!) and coffee shops downtown. Rooms are a comfortable size and clean. Also, it's one of the biggest, if not the biggest building in Monterey, so easy to find your way back from wherever you are walking.

Criticisms: bed not the most comfortable; pool area in not real inviting and kind of sterile feeling, hotel could use an update.

Worth a stay if you can get it for a decent price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your great review. Accidents happen, so please don't worry about the water! I'm very glad that you found our hotel to be comfortable, convenient, and friendly. We want our guests to leave with a positive experience in all three of these categories, and I'm happy to hear that we succeeded. - Rene

Been to Monterey Marriott? Share your experiences!