“Convenient Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
Oceanside, California
“Convenient Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed at the Monterey Marriott for four nights in November. The hotel's location is very convenient to the pier, the bike/walking path and many neighborhood restaurants and shops. We chose the property because there were meeting held at their conference center.

At the time of our stay the hotel was undergoing a continuing renovation. We were made aware of it before going so we knew there might be an inconvenience. They were renovating the bathrooms of some of the rooms the week we were there. Fortunately they kept their construction to times where most people might be out exploring the area. I only heard it one day for a short time at the end of the day.

I had checked at the desk to see if our room was going to be near the rooms they were working on and they verified it was not. I figured it would be easier to make a room change before getting settled into a room. They did have one of the elevators out of service for renovations but they offered additional service elevators if there was a back up. Not as fancy but if you did not want to wait it was an option.

The rooms were clean and there were no complaints. We did not have a renovated room as I am not sure where they are with the renovation process. As I mentioned they will be renovating the bathrooms and that is the one thing that made the room feel a little dated. Not so much the fixtures but the layout. The tub/shower and toilet were in the bathroom and the sink was outside. Then there was a partial wall that blocked the sink from the bedroom area.

The staff of the property was very courteous, professional and helpful. We did not encounter an employee throughout our stay that was anything but pleasant.

The offer valet parking at the property or there is offsite self service parking that is two blocks away. We opted for valet parking but the offsite parking might be fine if you were not needing to take the car in and out on a regular basis. We took our vehicle out twice during our four night stay...the rest we did on foot. The valets were very friendly and always willing to provide local information and instructions.

We have been up to the Monterey/Carmel region several times and usually stay in Carmel or Pacific Grove. Staying in that section of Monterey was new to us.

Overall it was a pleasant stay and we would consider staying there again in the future...hopefully the hotel will be renovated by that time.

We cannot evaluate the restaurants, gym or pool at the property since we did not use it.

Room Tip: When checking in ask for a room away from the renovations
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

So we stayed here during the Thanksgiving weekend. My hubby and I wanted a little romantic getaway... But hotel has really thin walls so could hear people in the hallway and in the pool outside our window all night. Also they are doing construction right now trying to revamp all rooms since they've gotten a lot of bad comments about it. At front desk checkin there's a tv that posts the bad reviews and they say "we heard you and are working to make it better". I appreciate that the hotel is trying to make it better. However would have liked to been informed of this before we booked it. Although I must say the room we stayed in was renovated except for bathroom and it was fine. Looks like they were working on several rooms on our floor, didnt really hear any noise from construction because we were out all day. Once all construction is complete should be a good place to stay but not sure it will be up to par with other Marriott hotels.
Location was great right nearby fisherman's wharf and lots of tourist attractions.

• Stayed November 2012
Avalon, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed here for the Big Sur 1/2 Martathon. The location was extremely convenient. The hotel was nice and the staff was exceptionally friendly. The hotel was under renovation while we were there, but they notified us as soon as we checked in and it never was an issue. The hotel was nice and I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed here for three nights over Thanksgiving and used rewards points. For a category 6 this is a very sub-par facility. I've stayed at much nicer category 5's. Our room had not been renovated yet but there's no excuse for not replacing carpet immediately when it has cigarette burns. There was no mini bar in the room and the beds were not comfortable. On our first day we left at 8:30 in the morning and returned late afternoon to an unserviced room. That was Thanksgiving and perhaps they were short on staff. The bay view represented on the website is a partial bay view. I will say that, other than housekeeping, the staff was very professional and accomodating. But overall it was a disappointing stay particularly having used my hard earned points for payment.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Carlsbad, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was in town for the Big Sur Half marathon and this was one of the host hotels so it was really busy. The hotel is being remodeled and I received a call from the hotel prior to my arrival letting me know that they were remodeling. The hotel was in a nice location for the race, so remodeling did not bother me I liked the fact that I received to call.

When I arrived there were a lot of people taking care of valet parking. I'm not sure if it was temporay staff but I asked if they had self service parking and if so did it have in and out privileges. I was told yes to both. Unfortunately, that was not true. The garage I was told to park in cost $7 every visit and it was not owned by the hotel. After walking back to the hotel I asked to confrmed that I parked in the right garage. I was told yes. I went to the front desk and the staff member said she was sorry for the bad information I was given and offered me a $20 credit if I decided to use valet after all. I said ok. She said she would add it to my bill. Unfortunately, she did not. Luckily before I checked out, one staff member at the desk did find the manager on duty and gave me the $20 credit.

The hotel was in a nice location and I loved the room, but I really like customer service. I don't know if the race played a role in their customer service or not.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Welcoming staff, clean and well appointed rooms. Great location to town. Even though hotel is in the midst of a remodel, they took the utmost care to minimize the impact on guests. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a good nights sleep as beds are great.

• Stayed November 2012
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I first have to say the staff and employees did exceptional and the service was great. The location s great and very centralized. You are about half a mile from the wharf and about 1.5 miles from the aquarium. The walk is worth it just leave your car or valet it and walk and enjoy the sites if you can. We were aware of the construction but it did not cause any issues for us and should not be an issue if you stay. Take advantage and speak to the front counter concierge counter and they will provide you some great restaurant tips and you can also get a better deal on the aquarium. The restaurant downstairs was a little pricey for breakfast and for you Starbucks fan that need that kick as we do there is one right around the corner. The sports bar downstairs was a great place to grab a beer and watch a game. I definitely would stay here again and look forward when the construction is complete.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony if you can and bring your shorts for the spa, pool or hit the gym .
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Monterey Marriott? Share your experiences!