“Nice place for 1/2 Marathon stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #14 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
Avalon, California
“Nice place for 1/2 Marathon stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed here for the Big Sur 1/2 Martathon. The location was extremely convenient. The hotel was nice and the staff was exceptionally friendly. The hotel was under renovation while we were there, but they notified us as soon as we checked in and it never was an issue. The hotel was nice and I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed here for three nights over Thanksgiving and used rewards points. For a category 6 this is a very sub-par facility. I've stayed at much nicer category 5's. Our room had not been renovated yet but there's no excuse for not replacing carpet immediately when it has cigarette burns. There was no mini bar in the room and the beds were not comfortable. On our first day we left at 8:30 in the morning and returned late afternoon to an unserviced room. That was Thanksgiving and perhaps they were short on staff. The bay view represented on the website is a partial bay view. I will say that, other than housekeeping, the staff was very professional and accomodating. But overall it was a disappointing stay particularly having used my hard earned points for payment.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Carlsbad, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was in town for the Big Sur Half marathon and this was one of the host hotels so it was really busy. The hotel is being remodeled and I received a call from the hotel prior to my arrival letting me know that they were remodeling. The hotel was in a nice location for the race, so remodeling did not bother me I liked the fact that I received to call.

When I arrived there were a lot of people taking care of valet parking. I'm not sure if it was temporay staff but I asked if they had self service parking and if so did it have in and out privileges. I was told yes to both. Unfortunately, that was not true. The garage I was told to park in cost $7 every visit and it was not owned by the hotel. After walking back to the hotel I asked to confrmed that I parked in the right garage. I was told yes. I went to the front desk and the staff member said she was sorry for the bad information I was given and offered me a $20 credit if I decided to use valet after all. I said ok. She said she would add it to my bill. Unfortunately, she did not. Luckily before I checked out, one staff member at the desk did find the manager on duty and gave me the $20 credit.

The hotel was in a nice location and I loved the room, but I really like customer service. I don't know if the race played a role in their customer service or not.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Welcoming staff, clean and well appointed rooms. Great location to town. Even though hotel is in the midst of a remodel, they took the utmost care to minimize the impact on guests. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a good nights sleep as beds are great.

• Stayed November 2012
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I first have to say the staff and employees did exceptional and the service was great. The location s great and very centralized. You are about half a mile from the wharf and about 1.5 miles from the aquarium. The walk is worth it just leave your car or valet it and walk and enjoy the sites if you can. We were aware of the construction but it did not cause any issues for us and should not be an issue if you stay. Take advantage and speak to the front counter concierge counter and they will provide you some great restaurant tips and you can also get a better deal on the aquarium. The restaurant downstairs was a little pricey for breakfast and for you Starbucks fan that need that kick as we do there is one right around the corner. The sports bar downstairs was a great place to grab a beer and watch a game. I definitely would stay here again and look forward when the construction is complete.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony if you can and bring your shorts for the spa, pool or hit the gym .
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel is very centrally located and comfortable. It is very close to restaurants and shops, and the downtown area. We dined at a lovely Italian restaurant nearby and also at the wharf. We also ate regularly at the Crepe place nearby. It is also within walking distance of cannery row and the aquarium (it took us about 20 minutes to walk to the aquarium).

The rooms are a good size and are very comfortable and clean. They were well sound proofed. We did not hear any other guests while we were there even though the hotel was full. The staff were courteous and helpful.

We had a very pleasant stay at the hotel and would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Davis, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We always choose the Marriott during our visits to Monterey. The hotel is large, comfortable, and perfectly situated near Fisherman's Wharf and the beach, and a beautiful walk to Cannery Row and the Aquarium. Staff are very helpful, the rooms are fine, and the amenities are quite good. It's a little pricey, but we generally use Marriott points to make the stay affordable.

Room Tip: Walk and explore!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Monterey Marriott? Share your experiences!