“Loved this place except for a few details like lack of GLUTEN FREE breakfast options” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mariposa Inn and Suites

Save Saved
You added Mariposa Inn and Suites to your Saves list
Mariposa Inn and Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1386 Munras Ave., Monterey, CA 93940   |
Ranked #17 of 53 hotels in Monterey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I really like this place but I couldn't give it five star rating because of a few reasons: (1) there was almost nothing gluten-free at the breakfast bar, except for banana and peanut butter, which is what I ate. Even the yogurt had modified food starch, which shows that it was a poorly selected brand. (2) my husband said that the housecleaner must have been short because the top of the shower railing (which was about eye height for my six-foot tall husband) was so dirty he could see a layer of dust. (3) there were a few unrepaired minor items like peeling wallpaper. However we brought our dogs and our room had a little patio so this was a perfect set up and allowed us to get some fresh air. The gas fireplace was also a nice touch. I enjoyed the modern stylish decorations, especially because most hotels have outdated dark and dirty chairs and curtains and the like. But this place was stylish and beautiful. It is across the street from the mall including whole foods market, so there were nearby conveniences too. A great deal!

• Stayed November 2012

503 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the townhouse unit was and appreciated having a separate area we could retreat to when my 3 year old went to bed earlier. She and my 6 year old loved the Murphy bed, which was surprisingly comfortable (much more so than the terrible sofa bed at a hotel we stayed at later during this same road trip).

Location seems a bit random, since it's not down near the Aquarium and Cannery Row. It's on a thoroughfare that takes you to Highway 1 so Carmel is just an 8 minute drive away.

Biggest disappointment was the traffic noise, which obviously affected our sleep quality even though the beds were comfortable. My husband is a light sleeper and the hotel is located at the intersection of two streets near the on-ramp to Highway 1. We got room 317. This room faces a busy street (Soledad Dr.) that is a main thoroughfare to Highway 1, yet many of the other rooms face Munras Ave., which also leads to Highway 1 so it may just be that every room has traffic noise.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Canyon Lake, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Older hotel(but not too old) nicely remolded my 3rd stay here. I really like it. Every room has a fireplace, the 3rd floor rooms are two story,bedroom and bath upstairs and flat screen T.V. Downstairs has a fold down double bed in wall and another bath and shower,microwave,refrigerator,flat screen,pool,spa,nice landscaping.Continental breakfast. Huge shopping center with plenty of restaurants,and a market right across the street.It's perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in back it is located on Munras a very busy street.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
stayton oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We rented the 'suite'...so that my mom could have the entire upstairs, and her own bathroom. (yes, she is spoiled) my Son and I had the entire bottom floor, with a sofa, and murphy bed, and our own bathroom. We watched the Giants win on the nice tv downstairs. The morning breakfast was very nice, and the young man attending it kept it sparkling clean and tidy. I really liked this place, just wish it were a little closer to the Aquarium. There is a nice shopping center right across the street. Whole Foods, etc.

Room Tip: The suite is perfect, if you have a large family...say maybe more than 4 people. The pool was cold...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed here for a conference with our two month old. Everything was just perfect for a family stay. I just wish we would have taken advantage of the hot tub and pool. The location near Whole Foods is ideal. It was quiet. Everything was very good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Danville New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I booked this hotel through Expedia because it was near our Monterey Office. When you first arrive it looks a little average until you get into the room. Our room was spacious, immaculate, modern and had a gas fireplace and a sitting area. The hotel was quiet and the staff was great. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone looking for moderately priced rooms off the waterfront. I plan to make it my place to stay when I'm in Monterey.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Stockton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I took my girlfriend/partner to Monterey to celebrate her birthday. Upon arrival, the staff was very friendly and accomodating. The office decor was modern, clean, very nice. The room was so much more than what I even imagined. As we walked in, to the right/behind, was a stairway, but didnt go up, just went in to check out the room, it was very nice. Newly remodeled(from what we were told later), modern upgrades, with a murphy in wall bed. The bed/bedding was super comfy too, there was also a gas fireplace, with granite platform, desk with cabinet housing a small fridge, microwave and safe. Looking out the sliding door, had a view of the breakfast patio, as well as the pool/hot tub and patio with heaters/fire pit. We put our stuff down, checked out the bathroom, which lit up as we entered(switches were automatic) with all new upgrades, modern mirror that lit up as well. Then we went upstairs where the room again, lit up. There was a nice ceiling fan set with a dimmer switch. King size bed was plush with down comforter and lots of pillows. A very nice, huge padded headboard(Pinterest savvy), as well as matching modern furnishings. In the closet hung 2 plush white robes and across was a full length mirror. The bathroom of the upstairs bedroom had the same lighted mirror as downstairs, a sky light, and a huge tub that fit both of us with plenty of room, super deep.

The only CON I would have would be the barking dogs, since this is a pet friendly place, I cant really complain because I did know this at the time that I booked it.

As far as the price, I have never spent $200 on a room in the past, but I was looking for a nice place, and being that it was in Monterey, alot of places were already booked, I went ahead and did it, booking a room with a king size bed. In the future, if I book this room, I will probably do it with another couple, not all room were double level(equivelent to a condo)...and all the amenities(including, free wi-fi, free parking in their garage, they also offer a free pass to the near by In-Shape health club, as well as free breakfast til 10am)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mariposa Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!