“A fresh and pretty HIE!” 4 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #9 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
Certificate of Excellence 2014
stockholm
“A fresh and pretty HIE!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

It was very easy to find the hotel after having completed the 17 Mile Drive from Carmel. This HIE has under 50 rooms and an interesting architectural layout. It was in excellent condition and the lovely shade of grey made for a very pretty backdrop to the colourful flowerbeds we passed on the way to our room (108). There was also outdoor seating there which would have been lovely on a sunny day. Breakfast was included but there was no separate dining area. There were small number of tables in the lobby, hence the Express, I guess. If you like cinnamon rolls, you will enjoy your breakfast here! For me, it was just all too sweet on top of the usual HI breakfast offerings. Parking was complimentary and located under the hotel. Our queen queen room was huge. The rooms have undergone a relatively recent renovation and the colour and layout of our room was very pleasing. The beds and pillows were incredibly comfortable. You could easily stay here a few days and not feel cramped and also have plenty of space for your clothes. A good-size safe was included and it is the one hotel we stayed at during our five week trip that not only had a coffee maker but also a separate small kettle for tea. They also offered coffee 24/7 in the lobby. There is no pool, restaurant or laundry on-site. The complimentary wifi worked really well. The waterfront, Fisherman's Wharf and Alvarado Street are all just a short 10-15 minute walk away. I am giving only 3/5 for service because the young guy on the front desk working both the evening and morning shift had earphones on the entire time. When I asked if it was his headset, he replied that he listens to music in it 'to keep him awake'. I think his time would be better spent reflecting upon the impression he gives when sitting behind the desk (and pc) with, albeit small, headphones in his ears because it certainly did not look professional. Aside from that, a very enjoyable stay, albeit perhaps more expensive than usual given that 4th July was just around the corner.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row, responded to this review, September 23, 2014
Thank you for the thoughtful and thorough review! I especially enjoyed your appreciation of our design and the colors we utilized! I'm very happy you enjoyed your stay, and that our property worked so well for you. I'm sorry about the unprofessional headphone usage at the front desk, though -- I'll make sure to look into this. Thanks again, and I hope that we have the opportunity to have you with us again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Sunderland, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night whilst travelling from San Francisco to LA in early June. Staff were welcoming and friendly and there was a happy hour with free wine and snacks from 5pm which was a nice touch. Lovely clean spacious room (though had to lug our cases up a set of steps to get to it). All the rooms are linked by a wooden walkway which could potentially be noisy if the hotel was full, but luckily it was fairly quiet so we weren't disturbed by other guests going to and fro. There was a pretty little courtyard at the rear of the property where you could sit and relax but we didn't get the chance to use it. It's a pleasant walk along to the pier - I sampled my first ever clam chowder there - very tasty. There is also a little trolley bus available but it only runs until about 9pm. Would definitely recommend staying here and would return if ever passing through Monterey again.

• Stayed June 2014
What a great review! Thanks for sharing your experiences at our property on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that our staff and our property were to your liking, and that you got to sample the local and widely renown clam chowder! We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip out!
Somerset, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Nice hotel just a short walk away from Cannery Row at half the price. They also had free wine tastings several night while we were there. You could also walk over to the marina. Really didn't need to use the car much.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to review our property! I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our value and location worked so well for you. I hope we have the opportunity to have you with us again in the future.
Kansas City, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Very clean, great location, great staff! The front desk was very helpful and gladly answered any questions we had. My kids happened to leave some postcards they wanted to send, but we forgot them in the room when we left. We were pleasantly surprised when our family members received their postcards in the mail! So a big THANK YOU to the staff member who went the extra mile to put postage on them & get them in the mail for us!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Wow! Thanks for the great review! I'm very happy that you enjoyed your recent stay at our property. Thank you for complimenting our staff -- I know that we are very fortunate to have such a great staff, but I was unaware that they went this extra mile! I hope you enjoyed the rest of your vacation, and that we have the opportunity to have you and your family with us again soon!
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This hotel was in a great location. It was within walking distance to Canary Row. Nice size rooms and nice staff. My only "con", is that you have to use the stairs to get to the different floors. My mother is elderly and the stairs were difficult for her. So if you have an older person with you, or heavy luggage, this may not be the hotel for you.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for taking the time to review our property. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our hotel, location, and staff were to your liking. I'm sorry that your mother had difficulty with the steps near your room. In the future, please let us know if someone in your party has limited mobility, and we will be happy to arrange a room for you away from any steps. Thanks again, and I hope we have the opportunity to have you with us again!
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This hotel has a great location; although it is not ocean-front, we had a partial ocean view from our third floor room. But to get to our room was a bit of a pain. We took the elevator to the third floor, but then had to go up and down two sets of six (I believe) steps since the third floor is actually built on different levels.
It was hard with the amount of luggage we had, and especially arriving later in the evening when we were already tired.

The hotel exterior is showing its age, but there was a lovely enclosed courtyard /patio area where we could relax outside (not ocean view). Our room was beautiful and clean.

Room Tip: Although our third floor room had a partial ocean view, if you are traveling with a lot of luggage...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
I'm glad that you enjoyed your recent stay at our property. I'm sorry that you experienced difficulty with our stairs. Next time you're at our property, please let us know if you require any assistance with your luggage and we will be happy to assist you.

It's true that despite not being located on the water, some of our partial ocean views really are lovely! I'm also glad you also noticed the exterior of our property -- our hotel has been designed to match the architectural style of the surrounding Cannery Row, making our property look atypical of other Holiday Inn Expresses, but maintaining the feel of a classic Central Coast building! Thank you for taking the time to review our property, and I hope we get to have you with us again soon!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

This is my favorite Holiday Inn Express to date. I love how it has the look and feel of the surroundings on Cannery Row. The staff is very attentive and friendly and our room was facing the courtyard was very spacious, clean and comfortable. Of all the places my family has stayed at this is at the top on my list.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
I'm so happy that we're your favorite Holiday Inn Express, and that we're at the top of your list for places to stay with your family! Also, it's great to read that you enjoyed your room and our staff -- and I was just now talking to someone about our hotel's exterior and its stylish yet historical appearance -- thanks for noticing! Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for your great compliments. We look forward to seeing you and your family again the next time you're in the area!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row? Share your experiences!