“Customer Service Outstanding—Rooms could use some updating” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #26 of 54 Hotels in Monterey
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pitman, New Jersey
“Customer Service Outstanding—Rooms could use some updating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in July and chose the property largely based on price and the LaQuinta reputation. We have stayed at the chain in the past and were quite pleased. As many have mentioned, hotels in Monterey are quite pricey, and we liked the fact the hotel offered continental breakfast.

We checked in to the hotel smoothly and headed to our assigned room. The desk clerk was quite pleasant. We noticed the breakfast room was quite small, so we made a plan to arrive early to get a table. The only elevator on site dropped you off right at the breakfast area and front desk, so that was convenient.

We found our room to be a good size, but the bedding seemed a bit dated and tired. When we tried out the bed, we noticed the mattress seemed to push us into the middle. It was a bit saggy and not the most comfortable. I found the room to be rather dark. Despite the hotel being on a fairly busy road, it was quite quiet. The room appeared very clean.

The breakfast was quite good and really was the best of our 12-day road trip. There were eggs daily, along with waffles and typical continental fare. We didn’t have any problems getting a table, but we did arrive early.

The best part of this hotel was its staff, hands down. Upon check out, Aaron was quite helpful and offered directions and assistance with wherever we were headed. We were going to Big Sur. We arrived at one of the state parks along the way, and we realized we had forgotten my husband’s hiking boots. I called the hotel and spoke to Aaron, who told me he would go check for the boots immediately and call me back. He called me within minutes, telling me the maid had found the boots. Fortunately, we were only 45 minutes away, so we turned around and went back for the boots. As promised, Aaron had them at the front desk, fully identified. We thanked him and headed on our way.

I would recommend this hotel mainly for its staff, as we found them extremely professional and by far, the best of our trip. Its rooms, however, we didn’t find as nice as other LaQuinta Inns. I can only hope the rooms are updated in the near future so the interior matches the level of the fine staff we encountered. I admit for what we paid, ($152 per night), I had hoped for a room that appointed with a much better bed. I did appreciate the excellent customer service we received. I do understand that Monterey is expensive, and I think, overall, we received a good deal for the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at La Quinta Inn Monterey, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write in such detail! We appreciate it, your feedback is very helpful.

First of all I'd like to thank you for your compliments to our staff, especially Aaron. We'll be sure to pass this along to them, and please know that we all really appreciate your kind comments.

Regarding the rooms, I'm glad that you found them to be clean and quiet. We are in fact in the beginning stages of planning our next remodel, however these things tend to take a while as we are awaiting direction from our franchise, etc. Much as I'd like to be able to have this finished this year, unfortunately it won't happen that quickly.

We're so glad that you enjoyed breakfast!! We've been working on our menu and it's great to know that the changes are working.

Again, thanks so much for your comments, and thank you for staying with us while you were in Monterey. We hope that you will come again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My family of four stayed here for one night before heading down the Pacific Coast. It was priced very reasonable compared to the other hotels in the areas. The bed was FANTASTIC; one of the best I have slept in any hotel rooms. The room was clean (very important since my daughter and I have allergies) and the staff was super friendly. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review! We are so happy to know that you enjoyed the hotel, and appreciate your letting us know. Hope that you will come and stay with us again!!
Fountain Hills, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for four nights and enjoyed the experience. The hotel staff is very pleasant and helpful, the beds very comfortable, and our stay was a good one. We did not have a car and walked to downtown Monterey a few times as well as took taxis ($10 to go to Fisherman's Wharf). The next to our last day we discovered that the bus to go downtown stops right on Del Monte Avenue in front of La Quinta, and the cost is only $1.50. We loved the front desk staff, but they did not know any details about the bus, not even the fact that the bus stop was so near to the hotel. That is our only complaint, and we hope that the staff will start recommending the bus to customers without a car. Everything else about our stay was very pleasant.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lake are nice and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at La Quinta Inn Monterey, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you so much for your review! We're really happy that you enjoyed the hotel as well as your time in Monterey, and thanks so much for the compliments to the staff. And THANKS as well for the heads-up on the bus service... you're absolutely right, we need to be on top of that. As locals who don't usually use the bus I guess we're not up-to-date and definitely should be. So thanks again for that suggestion.

Hope you'll come and stay with us again next time you're in the area! Thanks again for writing.
West Jordan, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

After searching and searching internet sites, including TripAdvisor (Monterey is a bit pricey), we settled on La Quinta. Pros: clean room, comfortable bed, delicious hot waffles that you make yourself, friendly staff, refrigerator with small freezer section, beach is a couple blocks away, only 2 miles from the Wharf. Cons: scrambled eggs that were from a mix? crowded breakfast area, bathroom sink was not outside of the shower/toilet area (inconvenient when 4 are sharing a room), very short of staff (evening clerk only one on duty and was so busy with calls that she couldn't keep up with requests of guests and the breakfast attendant couldn't keep up with breakfast needs).

As mentioned before, I'm not sure that I could have found something better in reading the reviews on this site, but it was still disappointing to pay so much for that. On a repeat trip I would possibly end up staying here again due to the same circumstances.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at La Quinta Inn Monterey, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for your comments. As you noted, Monterey can indeed be pricey - not only as a place to vacation, but also as a place to do business. We try our very best to provide a good value for a good night's lodging to our guests who are watching their budgets as we watch ours!

We're so glad that you liked your room and found some breakfast items and amenities that suited you so well. We hope that you will come and stay with us again when you have the chance... and if you're able to come in the off-season our rates are even lower! Thanks again for writing.
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I am glad we made the choice to stay at La Quinta. My family & I were very happy with the service, cleanliness & breakfast. It is close to the beach & other attractions, I recommend this hotel. We will return on our next trip to Monteray.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at La Quinta Inn Monterey, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
We're so glad to know that you will be coming to stay with us again!! Thanks so much for letting us know that your stay went well. We really appreciate it and really look forward to seeing you next time you're in Monterey.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed here two nights. Overall very clean hotel and very nice inside. The only thing I gotta say is we were literally 10 minutes away from breakfast ending and they did not have enough stuff to serve the guests. So me and my husband ended up just eating one muffin.. C'mon don't be stingy lol! But overall had a great stay here.

• Stayed July 2012
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at La Quinta Inn Monterey, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thanks so much for your feedback about breakfast (no pun intended, ha!) This is actually great to know, I'll definitely speak to our General Manager about this.

We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and the hotel and appreciate your letting us know. Thanks for staying with us at the La Quinta Monterey and we hope to see you again next time you're in town!
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Just to let you, that we enjoy staying at La Quinta's due to the fact thay have always been pet freindley. But now that we are no longer pet owner's due to the fact that our dearly beloved Gitana went to heaven after 19 years, we still enjoy the La Quinta's hospitality. Just to be specific we were never able to stay at the Monterey, La Quinta due to their no pet policy, but we still reserved our room there this weekend, just because we were aware of there service and hospitaltiy.
We were very comfortable and our room over looked the small lake and in the evening the lights of Seaside were very pleasent to view. The Inn was a little old but the accomodations were comfortable. Yes there was only one lift but that didn't seem to present a problem. And very close by to the Wharf (maybe 1 mile) straight shot. Overall I believe we would stay there again. Good sleep and good breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate your understanding about our pet policy and are very glad that you were able to stay with us this time. I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, I know myself how difficult that is... but again, thanks so much for your comments and we're very glad to have had you to stay. We hope that you will come again soon.

Been to La Quinta Inn Monterey? Share your experiences!