“Good Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 53 hotels in Monterey
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“Good Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is a very good value for money motel. Was clean and tidy apart from in the bathroom the shower was over the bath with a shower curtain rod around half of the bath which enclosed you at the shower end and didn't allow enough room for someone to stand without touching the curtain. The free wifi was a very good speed and easy to connect to.Breakfast was ok, served in reception though which was a little bit odd.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
super8mry, Owner at Super 8 Monterey/Carmel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear guest thank you for your kind words & feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed our clean rooms and our amenities. We look forward to serving you in the future.

592 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Have stayed there over long period of time during Monterey Historics. Mike has been manager in recent years & could not have been more helpful. We have recommended him to our clients & associates & always with no issues. As a base during a busy weekend this serves us well. Handy to Wholes Foods, restaurants & more.

Room Tip: Facing the office, rooms on Ground floor to left.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind comments. We are glad we met your expectations. & Thank you for referring us. We hope to see you in the near future and remember for the lowest rates at our Super 8 Monterey, please use the "hotel website" link on Trip Advisor.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Excellent value motel in Carmel/Monterey if you are on a budget as we where,nice clean rooms and they have laundry facilities which was excellent for us as we where travelling for 5 weeks,even better is the fact you are within walking distance of the Del Monte Centre where you have a whole foods and other stores to be able to purchase food which you can take back to your room,they have a fridge and microwave.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
super8mry, Owner at Super 8 Monterey/Carmel, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
We are glad you had a good stay at our hotel, and that you found our property clean and comfortable. Our housekeeping staff takes great pride in cleanliness and your kind words are appreciated. We hope to see you in the near future and remember for the lowest rates at our Super 8 Monterey, please use the "hotel website" link on Trip Advisor.
Half Moon Bay, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was in this motel for a couple of days in November and it was great. The room was big enough, with a little fridge, a microwave, a coffe maker and free wifi and parking. The breakfast is really bad (bad coffee, bad orange juice and a few frozen waffles and toast and cereals), but the total price includes it and it's very cheap so you can't expect a lot from it. We bought some food for our breakfast in a supermarket that is very close.
By car you can arrive very easily to Monterey or Carmel, and there're places for free parking (you just have to look for them and don't park just in the touristic places).
The service is not the most friendly I've ever found, but I don't mind that, I just wanted a good and clean place for sleeping.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
super8mry, Owner at Super 8 Monterey/Carmel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with others. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We apologize that our property fell short on your expectations regarding the breakfast. Please keep in mind that the breakfast its just a "standard continental breakfast" and will be the same in every Super 8 Hotel. We hope to see you soon in the future and please remember for the lowest rates visit our Super 8 Monterey, "hotel website".
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Tiny rooms, really uncomfortable specially if you travel with children. When we arrived thre was still ice-cream inside fridge from previous guest. Bathroom was fine but bath tab was moldy and gross. Breakfast was average but there is no place to sit down so you need to carry the food to your small room. Altogether quite disappointing...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Albany, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Customer service is severely lacking at this establishment. Flying in and arriving late very late from NY, we were staying here only for the location convenience. As we were getting in very late, I called before we got on the plane to confirm our rooms were set. We were good to go. Mid-flight, I was able to check my email and saw that I had an email from the hotel saying they had to let my rooms go because my credit card did not go through. In the rush of leaving for this vacation, I had forgotten the credit card I used to secure the room had unauthorized purchases made on it, and the credit card company had over nighted me a new card and number prior to leaving for vacation. We landed for a lay over, I immediately called to explain the situation and to give my replacement card number and offered to share the correspondence from my credit card company stating that indeed, my credit card had been compromised and I was issued a new card.

In the 45 minutes since they sent the email, and I called in to give new credit card number, they had “to give my two rooms away to walk in customers” I booked these rooms well in advance at roughly $50 a night.

They could however still accommodate me with rooms as they had “at least 10 rooms available” but I would have to pay a rate of $99 – double my original cost.. I was told I should be happy that I was given the $99 rate, as the regular rate for walk ins was $159 at that point. Why couldn’t they hold my room, the room I had confirmed hours early and give the higher priced rooms to walk ins?

I could care less about the money...it’s the principal, and this was an absolute, complete scam. The manager can say all he wants about company policy. But sometimes, it’s more important to be a compassionate human - especially in a customer service oriented field. At least make it seem like you’re out of rooms.. don’t tell me you had 10 more rooms available, but need to charge me double now.

PS. Location was great as we knew it would be, but the rooms are very dated and smelled like mold.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Sorry for your inconvenience. We understand your frustration and anger. Due to our franchise policy any credit card that's is invalid or declined, as a hotel owner / Manager we have the right to sell the rooms. You mention that you called to confirm your reservation but unfortunately you did not mentioned at that time the loss of your credit card. Its the guest responsibility to let the hotel know of any changes and the problem would have been solved right then and there. You were offered a 2king bed suite as that is what we had available at that time. We were sold out and We did not have the same type of room you booked if we would of have them we would have gladly giving them to you.Once again our apology for what had happen but, we have to follow our policy.

Been to Super 8 Monterey/Carmel? Share your experiences!