“Long way out of town” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Unscripted Monterey Bay

You added Unscripted Monterey Bay to your Saves list
Unscripted Monterey Bay
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2600 Sand Dunes Drive, Monterey, CA 93940-3838 (Formerly Monterey Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #37 of 54 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Long way out of town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

I must say when we booked this hotel we did not realise it was so far out of town, this was fine for the day but when it came to the evening it was a $10 taxi ride each way. The hotel itself was fine, if very standard. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
Worcester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for one night. Originally I booked a Garden View room but when we checked in and saw the view of the ocean from the lobby we upgraded to an ocean view. I thought this may be a waste - but it was well worth it!
The rooms were large and CLEAN.
The hotel staff was friendly and helpful.
The hotel is located right off the hightway and down the street from some chain (family) restaurants, gas station and market.
We were able to leave SF at 9am, check into the hotel, then leave for 17 mile drive at Pebble beach (where were have lunch overlooking the 18th green at PB - "Stillwater Restaurant") and then continue south to drive the ocean road.
I would recommend this hotel if you wanted to spend time on the beach too! Beautiful. Some surfers too.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

The location was perfect...right on the ocean. Great view! The room was fine. Spent most of our time on the beach and lounging in the chairs oceanside. The lobby was beautiful and we enjoyed watching the ocean from there as well.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Portarlington, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights midweek on drive from San Francisco to LA.
I selected the hotel on location & ease of access from CA 1. We were happy with our room as it was clean and was a fair size. The location is great if you want to be near the Ocean & see some nice sunsets. If you want to eat or shop in Monterey then you need a car as there is no restaurants and few shops nearby. We had breakfast each morning & while food was fine service was slow. The bar was busy each evening between 5 & 7 but closed at 10pm if no one was around. The BW suited us find for a break on the driving & overall no complaints.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

I was very hesitant on booking this hotel after reading the reviews on here but after speaking with Nicole at the hotel, I decided to take a chance. Nicole was wonderful and extremely helpful and assured me that we would enjoy our stay. She was right. The hotel is recently renovated and it looks very nice. The rooms are comfortable and quiet aside from the waves crashing. We were on the third floor The view is to die for! While this hotel does not have 5 star luxury, it is by no means a dump. It is just not as plush as other hotels I have been to which is not the most important thing to me anyway. The staff was friendly and the restaurant was surprisingly delicious. I don't think this room is worth $300 or $400 a night which is what they were getting during the Concourse car show but definitely worth $150 a night. If the view is the most important thing for you then definitely give this place a try. The beach below is public so keep that in mind. In the lobby there are very large windows overlooking the ocean with separate seating areas where you can have a drink and watch the sun rise or set. Very unique and relaxing environment. Overall I think this hotel was a good value.

• Stayed August 2009
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

We stayed for several days and the view is beautiful. That is the ONLY reason anyone should ever stay there. They also change the rates dramatically depending on what is going on in the area up to $80 a night difference.

When they had some major construction happening out front they gave out coupons for breakfast, but now that construction is finished, they don't offer anything, except coffee.

They even took away the measly chips/salsa and vege tray at cocktail time. Come'on....how cheap can you get?

I was in my bare feet in my room and about 10 minutes later I noticed that my feet were almost black from the dirty carpeting. I know that hotels on the ocean have moisture problems, but that does not account for the filthy carpeting. We had to wear something on our feet at all times.

Their isn't any poolside service and the bar in the lobby is open for only a short period of time. If you want anything during the day, you either have to go up to the restaurant, or go to your room and order room service and wait. Oh, or you could try and use one of the broken machines for soda/juice outside.

It's an independent hotel under the Best Western name I understand. I wonder what kind of atmosphere the owner has created for the employees. Like someone else mentioned, they did not seem to like their jobs (or do them) very well and they seem to be too busy all the time for anything other than checking you in.

I would guess that the owner doesn't really care about customer service and keeps an overworked staff to a minimum. The room staff probably don't have much time to do more than a quick swipe and a wipe. I had to laugh at the Best Western Award for quality control displayed on the lobby wall. Makes me wonder what their standards are???? I would say the only thing they are interested in is money.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Rome
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

I stayed in this Best Western Resort last year while traveling thru the USA. We were going from San Francisco to Santa Barbara by car and decided to stop at Monterey at one of the Best Western hotel. When we saw that there was a resort on the seaside, out of the center, we just went there and took a room. We stayed in a large room with ocean view: it was a cloudy, cold day although we were in September, but we liked very much the atmosphere, the grey sea and the sea lions swimming just in front of us. All the rooms face a long external corridor but it is typical of many best western and this did not bother us, we felt we have our own privacy, and if you are a smoker - as I am - you can smoke in the external corridor. Our room had 2 large, comfortable beds, a nice bathroom, and tea/coffee facilities and a small refrigerator. Moreover there was a free Wifi Internet connection (this hotel is the ONLY one in all our travel where there was no charge for Internet!). No noise from outside, although there were some work in progress on the external area of the hotel. We had also a good quality dinner and breakfast. We had no problem at check-in/check-out, no hidden costs. All in all: I'm very satisfied of my stay there.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family

Been to Unscripted Monterey Bay? Share your experiences!