“As charming as I'd remembered!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Monterey Beach Resort

You added Monterey Beach Resort to your Saves list
Monterey Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2600 Sand Dunes Drive, Monterey, CA 93940-3838 (Formerly Best Western)   |
Ranked #30 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“As charming as I'd remembered!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2005

I'd been telling my husband of this hotel for years, as we used to stay there when I was a little girl in the late '70s-early 80s. I have a lot of great memories of Monterey, and most of them centered around staying in this hotel, when it was still a Holiday Inn. We could see the whales breaching in the ocean from the hotel restaurant, it was amazing! So I took my husband back there for our 15th wedding anniversary in February, and while it had changed some (most notably the name), it was much as I'd remembered it as a little girl. We had the time of our lives and it was very romantic! We plan to take our two kids (12 & 14) back very soon. Granted, the interior of the rooms is not what one would consider "swanky", by any means. But considering the prices you're able to get online to stay at this hotel, I'd say it really doesn't matter. Just walk right out your door and see one of the most beautiful shorelines in the US, and I truly mean that. The sunsets are breathtaking, the beach very clean. Monterey is a beautiful place, and this hotel is a great place to stay and experience it's true charm. And to the other posters who commented negatively on the staff, I have to tell you that we had no problems whatsoever. They were all very friendly and helpful and even let us check in three hours early! It was a great stay, all the way around.

• Stayed February 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2005

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in Sept. 2003. AAA book rates it as only a 2 star and I agree. Negatives: It took us over 30 minutes to check-in and we were the only ones! Our reservations had been 'lost' and we booked on B.W.'s own website!!!! We booked the room rate which included a full breakfast and they said the $98 we got for the room just could not include a b'fast. I asked why they listed it and finally after much bickering back and forth, they relented and included our breakfast. (We are also B.W. Gold Crown Members!)

The lobby is a nice area; it has a fireplace, a glass window that runs the entire width of the lobby area. This is where hors'deourves are served each afternoon; you furnish your own beverage or buy theirs. ($$$) We bought a bottle of wine from a nearby grocery store for what 2 small glasses would have cost us there! That way, we had our wine for both nights' stay!

This hotel is the ONLY hotel directly on the beach in the Monterey area! There is a nice pool, but it doesn't face the ocean! It faces one of the parking decks on the other side of the hotel! Anyway, the beach is great for walking and enjoying the beautiful sunsets each evening.

The hotel restaurant is very pretty, but we only ate our breakfast there. It also has a glass window all the way across the side facing the ocean and each morning we were blessed to watch dolphins in the gentle swells!!

Our room was quite small and too "fru-fru" for our taste. My husband said it looked like pictures of bordellos!!! We did however, have a dorm size refrigerator to chill our wine in!

The exterior of this hotel was in desperate need of some renovations and I hope by now this has taken place. A little paint and new facia boards would help towards earning a 3 star rating from AAA.

The entire front desk staff from Sept. 2003 needed replacing also!

• Stayed September 2003
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2005

This was a great stay. Husband , myself and our two teenagers had a blast. The restaurant had great food. The room was clean and really on the beach. We stood outside our room and could watch the ocean. Took the 17 mile drive, it just so happened the ocean was really wild that day and we saw some incredible sights. I highly reccomend this hotel and will definatley go back.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2005

We went there to look at the hotel as a possibility for putting wedding guests up in the spring. The front desk help called someone to give us a tour (a man from housekeeping) and this man was the RUDEST person we encountered during our entire California trip! He pointedly ignored any questions from me (a female), yet if my fiance asked the same thing he would answer. And the dirty looks I received any time I asked a question was uncalled for. This man literally stepped in front of me and prevented my walking into an elevator so that the other man could step in ahead of me and at one point he put his arm in front of my body to prevent me from walking into a hotel room first and then stepped part way in himself and motioned for the men to follow. UNBELIEVEABLE that someone would think this behaviour was acceptable! A beautiful view or a magnificent setting don't make up for disrespectful manners and plain ignorant behaviour!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2005

We had a great time for the two days we stayed at this hotel (Dec 18-20). We had booked a room with the lowest rate (garden view) on the internet. After checking in, we could smell smoke in our non-smoking room and complained at the front desk. We immediately got a new room with ocean view free of charge. The room was nice and the view fantastic! We also dined in the restaurant. The food was very good, but the service was even better. The waiter found out that we actually were there on our honeymoon. Soon the manager came and congratulated us and we were served a complimentary desert. Our evening was really perfect!
The hotel is located right at the beach with a fantastic view over the bay.

Blackpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2004

This hotel would be only average except for the wonderful views and the ocean pounding within yards of the hotel. The rooms were adequate but if they were more luxurious the price would be too.
We dined in the dining room which proved to serve very good food.
From the outside the hotel looks a bit grim, however the reception area and public spaces are comfortable and updated. We arrived just as the sun was setting and it was the most fantastic view right accross Monterey Bay. We would stay again - don't expect luxury if you go there - but the sea and views make up for everything else.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2004

Right on the beach. Very handy to the freeway. Away from the touristy Cannery Row. We only overnighted here, but couldnt fault the hotel or staff.

Been to Monterey Beach Resort? Share your experiences!