We stayed one night on a quick trip from the Bay Area as a treat for my mother who was visiting from the Midwest. We needed two rooms to accommodate all 6 of us. When I made the reservation, they would not guarantee two adjoining rooms, or even two rooms next door to one another. We reserved two non-view rooms (at $89, they were much cheaper than the $189 I found for view rooms) and hoped for the best. A week before the trip, I decided to get at least one view room. However, I was told that there were no indoor hallways, so that we wouldn't be anywhere near one another this way and would have to walk around the perimeter of the hotel to get back and forth to each other's rooms. The woman I spoke to offered no other alternative, so I left the reservations the way they were.
The next day, I called again, got a much more pleasant reservations person (weekday), and she offered me two view rooms for $129 each! I grabbed them.
We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the hotel after reading so many negative reviews. It was just after Christmas, and beautifully decorated in the lobby. We noticed as we walked through the front entry that they had even stamped the outdoor ashtray sand with the hotel's logo. The rooms were very clean, recently renovated and nicely appointed (though small) and the beds were quite comfortable. There were fresh flowers in each room, and many nice amenities. (The kids particularly liked the phones in the bathrooms!) We didn't get adjoining rooms, but they were right next door to each other. We were on the 2nd floor, so the view was marvelous. (Athough the first floor is nice because you can walk out onto a large deck area, there's a tall sea wall that would partially obstruct your view.)
The hot tub was large, but the jets hardly worked. My daughter braved the pool, and said it was very warm! There was a nice free hors d'ouevres time in the evening, but no continental breakfast.
I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful (even let us check in 3 hours early). Though the view is spectacular, the hotel is SO close to the ocean that it's VERY loud at night! Also, the beach is not one in which you can safely swim (not that WE wanted to in December) because of the dangerous riptides, so families with kids wanting to play in the ocean might do better going further north (Santa Cruz or Aptos.) There were many people staying there with their pets, but we weren't bothered by any.
One last comment: This hotel is really NOT in Monterey; it's in Seaside. Monterey is close, but not easy walking distance. However, you DO see all the lights of Monterey and Carmel at night which is very pretty.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Monterey's only beach-front full service hotel, The Beach Resort Monterey boasts some of the most expansive views available of the Monterey Bay. Blending California beach casual with superior comfort and professionalism, the Beach Resort Monterey offers a relaxing alternative from the distractions of downtown, with the convenience of being only minutes away from the areas favorite attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Monterey Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Beach Resort Monterey Hotel Monterey
- Monterey Best Western
- Best Western Monterey Beach Resort