The hotel is right on the beach. No highway to cross. If you get the ocean view rooms, you look right out on the ocean. Our room was a bit small, but comfortable. Clean and very quiet. I have seen the complaints of others. Look. The hotel is on the beach. It can get cold out. It can get windy. Sand can blow on the deck and into the rooms. It could have been configured better so that each room has a private lanai, but if it had been you would be paying over $500 per night to stay there. You get excellent views of the ocean and the Monterey Peninsula from the hotel. I sat in the lobby one afternoon and watched dolphins surfing, seals, sea otters, and lots of birds. The restaurant upstairs serves a decent breakfast. Service was slow on the one weekend day we were there, much better on the less crowded weekdays. The parking fee is $15 per night, a pain considering you are parking outside and your car is a target for seagulls and pelicans. Just mentally add that price to that of the room. You get complimentary wi-fi in the room. There are restaurants in walking distance, more an easy drive away. The staff was at all times friendly.
So why the bad reviews? I think it has to do with expectations. This isn't a five star property. The rooms are small, the furnishings dated, the bathroom door hard to close. It is on a California beach with all that entails, wave noise, bird droppings, cold sea water, wind, fog etc. If you are expecting Kauai, forget it. It's not like that. Even in the summer. It isn't the hotel's fault.
But it is on the beach, and it is a decent place, the staff is great, it's inexpensive for the location, and for that I give it a rating of four.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Step into Monterey’s only beachfront resort and approach the front desk where our charming staff will check you into one of our 196 spacious rooms. What will you do next? That’s entirely up to you. At Unscripted Hotels, we offer engaging alternatives to the typical hotel experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Groupon, Expedia, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Hotels.com, Priceline and BookIt.com so you can book your Unscripted Monterey Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Beach Resort Monterey Hotel Monterey
- Monterey Best Western
- Best Western Monterey Beach Resort