“Nice hotel, lovely location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Monterey Beach Resort

You added Monterey Beach Resort to your Saves list
Monterey Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2600 Sand Dunes Drive, Monterey, CA 93940-3838 (Formerly Best Western)   |
Ranked #30 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Halesowen, west midlands
“Nice hotel, lovely location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

After our stay in San Francisco, a little bit of relaxation by the beach was required. We arrived at the hotel, and we were met by a wonderful sunny view of the sea and the beach. The staff were pleasant and competent and we went to our room. The room we had was not a beach view but we didn't mind. There were two queen size beds (we only used the one) which was comfortable. The room was clean and still spacious even with two beds. We went and joined our friends in the bar, overlooking the beach and were impressed with the service and the overall ambience. We did go outside to see the sun go down, which was lovely. We ate in the hotel, and again the staff were great. Our waiter was helpful, funny and could not do enough for us. The food was lovely and we were impressed. We also had breakfast the next day in the restaurant, which was great as we again had views of the sea and the beach. We could have happily stayed here for more than one night.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hugh H, Hotel Manager at Monterey Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for informing your fellow travelers about your experience. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your room and our location. Our restaurant’s fourth floor views really are the best in town for watching sunsets or spotting wildlife. We appreciate your positive feedback about our menus and our team. I’ll be sure to pass on the kudos! I hope you can join us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed here recently for two nights as part of a group tour. Definitely worth paying the extra for the oceanview rooms. These rooms have great views of the beach, and the ocean blocks out the noise of the highway near the hotel. Our room was quite large, very clean, with two comfortable large beds. Nice toiletries provided in the bathroom. Fridge (not minibar) in room. The Hotel is right on the beach, and we saw dolphins, sea otters and sealions from the Hotel windows. We walked into Monterey on the cycle path and back on the beach, but this is about 7.5 miles in total I think, so may not be for everyone. We ate in the restaurant for breakfast and dinner, the food was good and plentiful. The only slight negative is that we wanted to purchase a bottle of water. There were none in the vending machine at the time, so we had to pay the $5 for the bottle in the room, seems very expensive. I agree with Fuxiao B, previous reviewer, why could the Hotel not provide complimentary water in the rooms, many do nowadays. My husband asked Reception where he could buy some water and was advised that if there was none in the vending machine, then the Hotel did not have any. The Hotel offers free Internet facilities - there were three computers available for guest's use. Overall we would definitely recommend staying here as the Hotel does have a stunning location.

Room Tip: Choose the Oceanview rooms
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review. I’m glad your family enjoyed being directly on the beach and just a few minutes from Cannery Row. Some folks like the walk to town, while others like to drive or ride the hotel bicycles. Please accept my apologies that bottled water was not available in the vending machines. While guests have the option to purchase spring water from our guest rooms, we also have water available at the lobby bar and in our restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Potomac, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Not a Four Seasons or even a Hampton Inn, although thus Best Western  has a few redeeming qualities.     Can't beat the ocean view, staff gets an A++, the air conditioner works, but.... The room was definitely unattractive. The carpet should have been replaced at the turn of the century.    I think that the  room was clean, but who can tell with such old furniture and stained carpeting??   I can't complain, my two requirements were met, an ocean view, albeit without a balcony, and air conditioning.

DO:

1.      Do  purchase  discounted aquarium tickets here.   This will prevent standing in line at the aquarium for tickets!

DO NOT:

1.         Do not expect an ocean view if the room is below lobby level.

2.       Do not open the drapes, unless you don't mind folks walking by and peering into your room.  A solution to having the view and some privacy is to get a room in the far corner of the building farthest from the lobby.

3.     Do not eat breakfast in their dining room, unless you are just there for the view!   Not only is the food unacceptably terrible, but the wait for the meal is 'forever' and taking away from useful 'vacation' time.

Would I stay here again?     Yes, for the same reason that I selected the The motel/hotel in the first place; It is on the beach, has ocean views and air conditioning.

Side note:
Very few hotels have AC in the area.  Most that do are not near the ocean. Usually they are located east of highway 1.

Another  hotel where I unwittingly made a reservation,  due to its proximity to the aquarium, had rooms without any windows.    I found this out accidentally, a few days before my trip to Monterey.   Interestingly, the photo  of this hotel on the web displays rooms with balconies!  I was told that the rooms with balconies were given to returning, loyal guests.
SO BEWARE when making a reservation in Monterey!

Room Tip: Select a room on a high floor in a far corner of the building farthest from the lobby for more priva...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your comprehensive review. I’m glad you were able to save some time and resources by purchasing discounted aquarium tickets from the front desk. Before your next visit, check out our popular Aquarium Package on the hotel’s website. Thank you for your positive feedback about our team and our unique location. Some of our guests prefer the lower levels for immediate access to the beach, while others prefer the higher floors for the amazing views.

I’m disappointed to hear that you didn’t enjoy your breakfast. While we consistently get great feedback about our menus, we are always looking for ways to improve. Also, we are currently working on a plan to refresh our guest rooms and I hope you’ll get a chance to visit again when it’s all complete.
Victorville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed here last weekend visiting my college son. We had a bonfire on the beach the front desk provides ($25), this included s'mores. Running on the beach was so calming. This hotel was freeway close (hwy 1). I thought the rooms were a bit outdated, but had a large screen t.v. We were pleased with the restaurants food but the service wasn't friendly or memorable. They needed to interact more with the guests. Forgotten drinks and a bit slower service but the view from the fourth floor looking out into the ocean was very nice. I recommend an ocean front room. You will pay more but hearing the waves crashing at night and the gorgeous view was worth it for me. It was more pricely than a Best Western should be but because of its location, it seems to be forgiven. $15 for parking a night was a hidden fee I wasn't happy about but there was no other choice without being towed.

Room Tip: Ocean Front only way to go
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
The title of your review says it all. There really isn’t a better place to stay if the beach is what you’re after. I’m happy you found time to gather the family around a bonfire on the beach. I hope the restaurant’s panoramic views and menu outweighed any shortcomings from our team. We’ll be sure to use your feedback as a training opportunity. Thanks for the photos!
Pasadena, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

First off the good points: Very clean, smells clean. Somewhat overpriced for 2 beds. However, they charge $3 for a 12 oz bottle of water, $5 for the 20 oz. I would have rather they simply did not put any bottled water in the room because charging for something like that in a room you already paid for seems really petty. Also, internet is only free for the first 24hrs, then it's a charge for every day. Which idiot came up with this price scheme, I don't know, but I would think that you'd want to reward guests that pay to stay more days at your hotel. This is absolutely moronic given that all Starbucks (and coffee shops in general) allows free internet. Again, petty given the fact that you already paid for the room. Finally, hot tub is closed at 9 pm, so don't expect to use it the first night if you get in late.

Find a bed a breakfast, only the BW sign shines here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Don D, General Manager at Monterey Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback. Our in-room bottled waters are a nice option for guests that prefer natural spring water as opposed to tap water. Programs like this are very common in hotels. Please accept my apologies for the miscommunication regarding our wireless access. All our guest rooms feature complimentary WiFi access for the entire length of your stay. There are no time constraints. Perhaps this was confused with the available premium option for which there is a small fee, but it’s not required after the 1st 24 hours of use. Please contact the hotel if you were accidentally overcharged and I would be happy to fix your bill. We hope you’ll give us another chance when you return to Monterey.
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Pros: Back of hotel faces the beach, less than 50 yards to water. Spectacular sunrises/sunsets, short (3-4 mile) ride on bike path to Cannery Row, free wi-fi, view from oceanside/beachfront rooms is great, reasonable price.

Cons: Parking isn't generally free, some rooms on the 3rd floor (329, 331) seem to be directly under the forth floor restaurant's kitchen so noise is a real problem in these rooms, view from garden side rooms isn't great (mostly a parking lot view), rooms have large picture windows and when the shade is open, there is no privacy in the rooms

I stayed with friends for one night and love the location and the views from the back of the hotel of the beach. The noise was an issue as mentioned above. The front desk did comp our parking and gave us a voucher for free lunch in the restaurant as compensation for the noise. The place is decent, but the design is kind of old and a bit tattered around the edges. I would stay again but would first try to find something else with similar million dollar views of Monterey bay first.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comprehensive review. The views from our Oceanside rooms are really the best in town. Just yesterday we saw a pod of dolphins and a family of sea otters playing in the surf. I apologize for the excess noise you encountered but I'm glad our staff was able to address your concerns. You’ll be glad to know we are planning a refresh of our guest rooms this winter. We hope you can visit again soon!
Sonoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Great price to be right on the beach! Lobby has amazing ocean view to sit and enjoy-Had room service desserts/nachos prompt service and good. If you don't have a car and don't want to eat at the restuarant ou can walk to MacDonalds under the overpass less than quarter mile away:)I felt very safe and comfortable here with my family and will back every year for my Monterey fix. Front Desk Staff and Bartender were very nice too!!! Also like the Dog friendly policy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for visiting! I’m glad you enjoyed our beachfront location and our in-room dining service. I’ll be sure to pass on your kind words to the staff. We look forward to hosting you and your four-legged friend again next year.

Been to Monterey Beach Resort? Share your experiences!