“LOVE this place !!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Monterey Beach Resort

You added Monterey Beach Resort to your Saves list
Monterey Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2600 Sand Dunes Drive, Monterey, CA 93940-3838 (Formerly Best Western)   |
Ranked #30 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Citrus Heights
“LOVE this place !!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

We stay here everytime we visit Monterey almost 6 times a year :) Most amazing Hotel ever ! we want to get married on the beach here! I think you guys should have a loyalty program other then the Best western one ! Nice to hear you are changing the bathroom doors they are not that great also have you ever thought of putting microwaves in the room? Thank you and see you soon !!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Don D, General Manager at Monterey Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Thanks!! I know our Sales team has already reached out about your wedding and we’d be honored to be part of your special day. Let me know the next time you all are coming down and I’ll make sure we return your loyalty!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Orange, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

I made the mistake of not booking ahead and therefore overplayed for just average accommodations. After touring the area I realized there were other more desirable hotels. I would have liked to have been walking distance to a restaurant or bar besides what the hotel had to offer. I was also hoping I would have a private balcony to enjoy the amazing views without people walking by my front window. They do provide a privacy shade but it is akward and obstructive. IOverall the room was clean and provided the basic needs, but for the money paid I expected more of a resort style hotel. Next time I will either stay near Cannerey Row or up the highway at the resort near the dunes.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Don D, General Manager at Monterey Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Thanks for letting us know about your stay. We know there are good points and not so good points about every location. If you want a retreat after a day of site-seeing with a beautiful stretch of beach at your doorstep then we are the place. I’m not sure what your rate was, but we do have some great packages and promotions throughout the year that are a great value. If your travels lead you back to our area I invite you to contact me directly to make sure that we get you a great room at the best rate available.
Hercules,California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012 via mobile

I chose this hotel based on it's location. And the location IS lovely!
The staff were all really wonderful, friendly and very helpful...
The lobby of this place was also really beautiful. Huge bay windows, a large fireplace, many comfy places to sit and enjoy the surf or sunset. All while listening to the piano playing, and enjoying an adult hot chocolate from the bar.
We tried the room service on our first night, and it was fantastic! Hot, fresh, and very fast! (the best veggie burger, I've ever had!)

These are the positives of this hotel...
Now.... The negatives:

After seeing how beautiful the lobby was, I was a little disappointed with our room. It's style was completely different from the rest of the hotel... Although, it was very clean.
My biggest complaints with the rooms are, the lack of a proper bathroom door! It slated and doesn't provide ANY privacy!
The 1 cup coffee maker didn't work. (part of it started to melt!)
Bottled water was provided in the room, however it was $6.00 for a medium sized bottle. There are vending machines, but none of them had water.
Although we had an ocean view, it's a walkway, not a balcony, but there is a privacy shade on the window, so you can see out.

There are a few minor changes that would make this hotel so much nicer.
A possible continental breakfast.
A shuttle to downtown Monterey. They charge $15.00 per day to park your car. Then you have to pay to park, wherever you go.
Someone to rake the beach access daily. We had to walk over a ton of seaweed to get on the beach.

Overall, our stay was pleasant. I just feel, a couple of changes, and this place would be fabulous!

• Stayed January 2012
Thanks you for taking the time to share your experience. We are always looking for ways to improve our facilities and service and we love to hear from our guests. I apologize about the coffee maker malfunctioning and hope we got it replaced. Just an FYI we do have complimentary coffee service in the Lobby every morning starting at 6am. And we’re working on those bathroom doors. We hope to have them all replaced in the next few months.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012 via mobile

Fabulous location, outstanding beach, delicious food, friendly service, comfortable rooms. We Love staying here!

• Stayed January 2012
Thanks!! We love having you here!
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

This hotel is wedged between the highway and the ocean. You can step outside your room and take a short walk downstairs to stroll along a very nice stretch of beach. The lobby was very nice and the restaurant did a very nice job accommodating our large (21) party.

The downsides for me were the lack of privacy and less than ideal location. You have to drive to reach any tourist destinations worth seeing, if you just want to relax and listen to the waves, this is not a concern.

The bathroom doors are louvered and provide very little privacy or separation from your fellow room guests. The bathroom was very small. The view from our window was fantastic, but it was interrupted by a walkway, making it uncomfortable to just sit and enjoy the view,

Overall a decent value if you can overlook the basic design and location flaws.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thanks for the great feedback. We know that every traveler has a different need and I appreciate your sharing your experience. I understand your comments about our location. If you want a retreat after a day of site-seeing with a beautiful stretch of beach at your doorstep then we are the place! PS – we’re working on those bathroom doors. We hope to have them all replaced in the next few months.
Carson City Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

This was our first visit to the BW Beach Resort. We stayed 2 nights in a partial ocean view pet friendly room located on the ground floor. I was not expecting the FULL ON ocean view that we got, it was amazing. The surf roars very loud on this side of the hotel, like it is right outside your door (which it is) Check in and check out was effortless with all staff being very friendly and accommodating. The rooms are clean and nice, but not a lot of space with 2 queen beds and only a small closet cabinet. Big flat screen TV on the wall and electric shades for a filtered view and a blackout shade. The grounds and gardens are really pretty with hummingbirds and other birds. Pool and spa looked nice, although we did not use them. We ate dinner both nights at the Cafe Beach, their restaurant on the 4th floor. Delicious food, great service and amazing views. There is a bike/walking trail right outside the hotel that allows you to walk/bike all the way to Pacific Grove. Beach access is down stairs at the back of the hotel. When the tide is up this access is limited as the water comes right to the bottom of the stairs, but there are 3 sets. They have a very adequate dog potty area which is close to the pet friendly rooms. The only negative when having a dog in the room is that people must walk right in front of your windows and my dog barks, closing the shade worked for that but spoiled our viewing of the sea. We will definitely come again.

Room Tip: Ground floor "partial ocean view" rooms still have a full ocean view (see pic), you couldn...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Thanks so much for sharing your story with fellow travelers. It sounds like you all had a great visit to Monterey and I’m glad we could be part of it. You are correct about having to love the sound of the surf. Personally I wouldn’t have it any other way, but we do provide complimentary earplugs for anyone that wants the view but not the ocean sounds. I’ll pass on your compliments to the Chef. He just introduced new menus and I’m glad you all enjoyed them!
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

The Monterey Beach Hotel is absolutely gorgeous! From the moment you walk in the lobby you can see the ocean, this is definitely the hotel's best quality. The staff is very welcoming and accommodating. I had requested an ocean view room, but when I arrived the room was garden view. The staff was quick to change my room and gave me a gorgeous King Suite. The room was very clean and nicely outfitted with a large table right by the window and a huge wardrobe for hanging suits, etc. The bed was extremely comfortable and they even provide ear plugs if you don't like falling asleep to the sound of waves (personally I think they are wonderful however!). One really nice touch in the room was a small refrigerator which was great for storing leftovers from the many great restaurants in the area. There are many great restaurants within walking distance, as well as Cannery Row which is only a short bus ride away.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an ocean view room that is 2nd to 4th floor (the first floor has the sea wall part...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for sharing the great tips for other travelers visiting Monterey. I think we have the best location in town with our own stretch of beach and just a stone’s throw away from all the attractions. Come back soon!

Been to Monterey Beach Resort? Share your experiences!