“Best hotel on the strip” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Jose, California
“Best hotel on the strip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I have stayed in many hotels and motels over the past, well, thirty years, but I return most often to the De Anza Inn. I am giving it five stars, because I think it is a great example of a hotel in its class. It isn’t a giant spa destination hotel with valets and balconies overlooking the ocean, but it has very large rooms, comfortable beds, gets a new look quite often, and most importantly, is always immaculate. There is a large work desk with a comfortable chair and a strong free wifi signal. The rooms have a couch and an arm chair, and refrigerators and microwave ovens. I have never had to make a complaint to the front desk. I know they would do everything to take care of it if I did, because they are always gracious and efficient with requests we have made. The general manager, Cecile, runs a tight ship, but is very friendly and has always made us feel at home. The lobby is inviting, with tall windows and a Koi pond, a light breakfast in the morning, coffee all day, and a computer for the use of guests. The De Anza is convenient to Highway One, and is only a ten minute drive to Cannery Row. There is adequate parking, and a number of restaurants within walking distance. For what you get, the rates are not bad, and pretty spectacular in the off season. we have reservations there for a couple more trips in the coming months.

Room Tip: Third floor corners.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
deanza2141, General Manager at BEST WESTERN De Anza Inn, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Thank you very much for your complimentary review of our property. I sincerely appreciate
your honest and unbiased opinion of the Best Western Plus De Anza Inn. I believe we are the best property on our street and as you pointed out we are one of the best in our mid-range market. We offer clean, spacious and well appointed rooms at reasonable rates. The staff makes every effort to provide each guest with efficient, helpful & courteous service. Thank you very much for recognizing us and taking the time to post your comments. We are grateful for your consideration.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Whitby, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

rooms were OK, but the air conditioner was antiquated, and could not or would not cool the room down sufficiently for a decent night's sleep. Didn't use the breakfast buffet, but seemed like pretty standard fare - Denny's is next door, and pancakes were calling!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
deanza2141, General Manager at BEST WESTERN De Anza Inn, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you for your review of our property. As mentioned in previous responses, we do not have air conditioning. Due to the temperate climate only about 25% of properties in Monterey have it. We have ceiling fans in rooms facing the front of our property, all windows open and we offer portable fans. You never mentioned contacting the front desk about the antiquated air conditioning. It is impossible for us to address an issue if we are not made aware of it. We could have provided a fan or relocated you (depending on occupancy) to another room. In the future, I would recommend you contact the Front Desk at any property you stay at regarding issues that affect your comfort. This allows the management to offer a solution to your problem.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

The staff were always nice, the location was very convenient, the hotel and room were OK, but I felt the property needs to be freshened up and/or updated some. No safes, the TV is on top of the armoir (near ceiling fan) and they control room/pool towels like $100 bills. BTW the towels are too hard. Overall a good value, as I've mentioned in other reviews "you have to read between the lines" sometimes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review and 4 out of 5 rating of our property. Please allow me to address a few of your comments. There is a microwave, mini-fridge and safe located in the armoire of each room, which is clearly stated on the information sheet provided to each guest
upon check-in. Yes, the flat screen television is currently located on the armoire while we await production of a custom made stand. Yes, we ask guests to sign out pool towels because on average each month 37 towels disappear. This added cost affects our bottom line. By keeping it under control we are able to provide our guest an affordable rate. As you stated, we are a
great value. Thank you for giving me an opportunity to clarify some of issues you addressed in your review. Sometimes, you have to read between the lines.
Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

This is an average hotel, which we chose because we would only stay for one night.
The reason I review this hotel is the fact that unlike other hotels that make you feel welcome even if you're staying one night, this hotel distinguishes itself by doing the opposite.
After a 3 hour drive, we arrived at 12 noon.The first thing the lady at the reception said was that check-in time was at 3 p.m and that we had to come back after 3 to pick up our keys.
No effort was done to check if the room was ready. No suggestion was made to stow our luggage in the meantime. The demeanor was rather formal ,not even friendly.
During our vacation in the USA this year ,we have stayed in 10 different hotels. In terms of costumer service this comes in last.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
deanza2141, General Manager at BEST WESTERN De Anza Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Please accept my sincere apology for the reception you received upon check-in. The policy at the Best Western Plus De Anza Inn is to complete the check-in procedure when the guest arrives, then contact the housekeeping supervisor to inquire about the room’s availability when a guest arrives prior to 3pm. We also offer luggage storage (based on space availability). We then ask the guest if they want us to call them when the room is ready or they are given a business card with our phone number should they prefer to call us. In addition, we always offer each guest an information sheet about the property with a map on the reverse side and let them know a front desk agent is available 24 hours a day to assist them. It appears as if not of these procedures were followed based on your comments. It is our intent to welcome each guest upon arrival and I am sorry you felt we were unfriendly. Thank you for your opinion and review.
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This hotel made a great first impression. At first, I thought the room seemed under-priced, but later I decided the lower price was appropriate.

The room was really nice. It was big, clean, comfortable, and nicely decorated. There was a couch and comfy chair in a little sitting area (although you couldn’t see the TV from the couch), and a separate desk by the window. The TV remote came in it a little cloth bag that said “fresh remote”. I suppose this means they clean the remote between guests. I thought that was a nice touch.

Later I discovered some things that I didn’t like so much. There isn’t enough insulation in the ceiling, and I spent hours listening to some kids upstairs running around. (A room on the top floor would have been better.) My room was also by the lobby, so I got some lobby noise, but that was just specific to my room.

Anyway, the room has a refrigerator, but unfortunately it made this gurgling/clicking noise all night. The in-room safe is a nice amenity, but even though it was laptop-shaped, I almost couldn’t get my laptop in there because of interference between the safe door and the cabinet door hinge. I eventually got it in there after wiggling and turning it around for a while.

The room included breakfast, but the breakfast was actually a little weak. The eggs were something I had never seen before. They were little egg patties, which didn’t appear to be made from real eggs (although I couldn’t tell for sure). In any case, they tasted terrible. The eggs were the biggest disappointment. The rest of the breakfast was the typical low-end array of cereals, breads, sausage, coffee and juice.

One big complaint I had was the way they provided the forks. They stuck them handles-first into a jar-like container with the tines sticking up. Not only did I need to grab your own fork by the tines, but I wondered how many other dirty hands had brushed across my fork while other people were digging for theirs. This arrangement for silverware is not all that uncommon, but it really grosses me out. And I was surprised to see it at a hotel that goes to all the trouble of cleaning the TV remote!

With respect to location, from my light research into Monterey hotels, there seemed to be three main areas. The high-end hotels were over by Cannery Row. The mid-range motels were clustered on Munras street. And the low-end motels were on Fremont street. (Big generalization, of course, but that was my personal perception.) The De Anza Inn is in the low-end area on Fremont street, near the really cheap motels. I’m sure that if this same hotel had been in one of the other two locations it would have been more expensive.

So, if you don’t mind this area, then that’s a good way to save some money. Personally, I think it is a good trade-off because Monterey is small enough that no matter where you are, you’re pretty close to everything. I wouldn’t pay a big premium for a room closer to Cannery Row, for example. It’s a very short drive from Fremont Street.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
deanza2141, General Manager at BEST WESTERN De Anza Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for your lengthy and detailed review of our property. Your status as a Top Contributor was obvious from your comments. Your "one big complaint” has been addressed. We are in the process of training several lobby attendants and your observation was noted and promptly corrected. Trip Advisor reviews give us an opportunity to identify problems or issues and make appropriate changes. We sincerely appreciate your time and consideration.
Camarillo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel appears to be a former apartment or condo complex that was repurposed into a hotel. As such, the rooms are VERY spacious. The room included a mini fridge, micro and overall was well-appointed. The bathroom was nicely upgraded. The rooms all use the interior corridor and this gives it a hotel versus motel feel. The room and lobby were very clean. They offer a nice continental breakfast. The koi pond is very cool.

The location is near some seedy businesses but very convenient to Cannary Row and the wharf area.

I would stay again if in the area and I felt I got a lot for what we paid. I have definitely paid more and gotten a lot less at other Monterey locations.

• Stayed December 2011
, General Manager at BEST WESTERN De Anza Inn, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thank you very much for your review of our property. I appreciate your comments regarding our spacious guest rooms. The Inn was built with the intent to offer guests a larger than average room in which to relax. We are one of the few inside corridor properties and have a lovely koi pond as you mentioned. Thanks again for sharing your opinion about our being a great value and our close proximity to local attractions. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to the Monterey Peninsula.
Lakewood,Ca.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

My sister and I recently spent three nights at the De Anza, we were greeted by a very friendly staff who answered our questions about the area (food,transportation,etc) We were early for check in, but not a problem for this staff, our room was cleaned and ready in about thirty minutes. As posted in another review, there was no air conditioning, but fan was sent up by the front desk. We only needed it for some air circulation. Also, discovered that front desk had a corkscrew for opening wine!! Major plus...Breakfast was fine, we only needed something to get us going as we had plans for area restaurants for our meals. Staff was so helpful and friendly. Will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at BEST WESTERN De Anza Inn, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Thank you very much for your complimentary review and comments. I am grateful for your acknowledgement of our friendly and helpful staff. Also mentioning the availability of a fan and the fact it was brought to your room was appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Monterey.

Been to BEST WESTERN De Anza Inn? Share your experiences!