“too old” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
Rishon Lezion, Israel
“too old”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

After spending 3 weeks in BW hotels on the west coast, I must say this hotel is less than average. This hotel needs renovation and a new AC system in the rooms.
Our room was big enough for 5 people and 6 big suitcases, clean and comfort beds but old.
Why family room should have on the second floor with no elevator???
After all, families have many Luggage.

Room Tip: Why family room should have on the second floor with no elevator??? After all, families have many L...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
ParkcrestInnGM, Public Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Park Crest Inn, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
707Doron,
Thank you for staying with us here at Best Western Park Crest Inn. I'm sorry we did not meet your expectations. However, we will be renovating this winter. We hope you will give us another try. Call us directly at (831)372-4576. Hope to see you in the near future.
Melissa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Encinitas, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Just a note.. this received "4 points" from me because of the responsiveness of customer service. Otherwise, I may have marked it average, or less. We stayed here 3 years ago, and it was ok. We like staying at Best Westerns and we knew the location, so we booked our stay here while attending a conference at Monterey. I reserved in advance, and during check-in, I asked if we could have a second floor room, and the lady at the front desk was very accommodating. They advertise that this is a non-smoking hotel; we were given room 135, which has a nice view of the ocean from over the other rooftops. When I got into the room, it had a very musty smell, and there was no air conditioning; it was pretty difficult to really breathe in there. I found a fan and turned that on full blast to air it out before my husband came in from his conference, but the smell was pretty overwhelming. I finally realized that it was a strong cigarette smoke odor. I just dealt with it, and when I asked about the lack of air conditioning, the lady told me that most of the hotels are like that since it gets cooler in the evenings.

During the night, my husband woke up multiple times complaining about the cigarette smell in our room; and he's usually not the one with a strong sense of smell.. at first, my eyes were burning and my nose was stuffed.. but after I while I felt just ok and was able to sleep. He, on the other hand, was having a really hard time with the smell.

So the next morning, I asked the new front desk lady if we could switch rooms, since we had one more night there. Esmerelda (spelling?) was extremely nice and very accommodating and even offered that she and housekeeping would move our bags into our new room once it was ready. She made me feel really comfortable with that and was so nice that I felt like it wasn't going to be a hassle for me since I had plans to be out and about all day. That was great service and her friendliness and personability really made the stay a most positive experience!!! When we checked into our new room later that evening, our bags were all moved in.

Our second room (#141 at the other end of the hall), was a little older. Still had a musty smell, but not the cigarette smell like the other room. It also had a nice ocean view. This room oddly had air conditioning, but we didn't need it at all. The frig kept making noises that woke me up numerous times in the night, so that was pretty annoying.

A note about the free breakfast.. they used to have these DIY waffle makers --which are the thing I look forward to about staying at BWs-- but now they had this pancake maker that you push a button and it churns out 2 warm pancakes after a minute.. it was ok.. nothing like my favorite waffle maker. :o(

Overall, this hotel is a little older and doesn't leave the best impression in regards to comfortability (the beds in both rooms were really lumpy), but it's pretty affordable and you get what you pay for... I hope management recognizes how valuable customer service is though. Esmerelda is a gem and if it weren't for her friendliness and sweetness, I probably wouldn't be too happy at all with our last stay here.

Room Tip: Room 135 is close to the end of the hall where I think they have an ashtray; which may have been why...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Christiane,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review in regards to your stay at Best Western Park Crest Inn. We apologize that your second stay was not as pleasant as the first. We appreciate your feedback, as it helps us to improve and provide a better experience. I hope this message reaches you well.
Winchester, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Arrived at this location after trying to find a BW on a different street that didn't exist(though both AAA tour book and GPS had it). The first BW I stopped at just down the street quoted me a 134. per night charge that I balked at. Suggested if you drive up the hill the prices at all the other hotels would get cheaper. ??? So we did. The BW was less than a half mile up and 25 dollars cheaper. Opted to stay one additional night and Melissa had to work a little magic. Apparently there was going to be some sort of cycling event over the weekend and we almost wouldn't have had a room. The property is well maintained, clean. Comfortable bed, two queens, but what is with the pillows? Four of them and all about 18 inches square. Square? Also found this at the Andersen's in Buellton and Circus Circus, Reno. The breakfast consists of a pancake maker, cereal(3), breads to toast, bagels, pastries, hard boiled eggs, juices, coffee. For a 'continental' I found it to be filling. Did not try pool, the weather was playing very early winter. The refrigerator was cold, nice little microwave, large enough towels to dry with, but the plastic toilet seat felt like it was going to break. Had an amour to hang clothes in and drawers. Room on table for lap top. Overall I was quite pleased. Was also on the end of the rooms with no upstairs so no noisy neighbors.

Room Tip: Be wary of the Old Wharf area. Very touristy and the places to eat are pricey(even though they give...
Cagftl,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. We are glad we were able to meet all of your expectations. We hope to welcome you back soon!
Chonburi, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights on our road trip north. It is old but well maintained (and clean) and the manager, Esmerelda (sic), and her assistant, Nancy, are great hosts and share whatever hints they have. Such as, who would know there is farmer's market every Tuesday, the day we checked in, down near Fisherman's Wharf.

The included breakfast consisting of fruits, pastries, muffins, etc. and good coffee was OK also.

The only knock I have is that the beds were too soft for our taste.

For sure, I would stay again and the price is certainly right!

Room Tip: If you walk/run, the hotel is only about 3/4 mile from the water and the fabulous walking/bike path...
Jmwpga,
It was our pleasure having you with us for two nights, and thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please come and stay with us again soon!
Berkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We spent two nights here in a suite. Basic Best Western, somewhat tired but clean and tidy. Staff very helpful, bed comfortable, fridge and microwave. Breakfast didn't include anything hot apart from waffles (clever machine which took all the hassle away!). Did have cold hard boiled eggs though! Within walking distance of Fisherman's wharf if you are a keen walker. Downhill on the way there but uphill on the way back. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Request ground floor if you don't want to climb upstairs with suitcases
CocoaBerkshire,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a pleasant review. We are glad you found our location to be ideal and that your room met your expectations. We hope to see you soon. Sincerely,
Yorba Linda, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

The place is pretty average, however, the staff was very accommodating and friendly. It's at a good location, close to everything. The carpet could use a good cleaning, and the pillows were too hard, however, when we complained, the staff provided more comfortable pillows immediately.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Napa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Went to a wedding & stayed at this hotel, as it was the arranged hotel for wedding guests. The hotel in my opinion was way overpriced, given it's amenities, ambiance & location. There was nothing special at all & I wouldn't stay there again unless their rates were cut in half.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to BEST WESTERN Park Crest Inn? Share your experiences!