“Absolutely gorgeous” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 12 Monterey B&B and Inns
SoCal
“Absolutely gorgeous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

If all B&B's were like this, I would never stay in a hotel ever again. There were so many wonderful attributes to this beautiful inn. I booked this inn as a surprise for my husband's birthday. He travels a lot so I knew that whatever I booked, it had to be special. The Old Monterey Inn did not disappoint. Firstly, the serenity of the house and gardens washes over you as soon as you get out of your car. The owners and staff could not be more welcoming and warm. As a birthday surprise I ordered chocolate covered strawberries and champagne on arrival. Delicious! I also booked a fireside couples massage for a little later. I can recommend starting your stay with this experience if you can. It was perfect. Late afternoon complimentary appetizers and good wine is set out for the guests. There is a constant supply of hot and cold beverages and snacks available, and even a decanter of port for fortified wine lovers. Before breakfast we sat outside drinking coffee and taking in the serenity of the gardens, interrupted only by a very busy squirrel in the branches and a sighting of a fawn taking refuge in the ivied grounds. Breakfast is such a treat. The table is so beautifully laid out. Breakfast in bed is an option, but my husband and I chose to eat with the others guests both mornings that we stayed in the inn. I loved my first ever experience of dining and interacting with other guests over a delicious breakfast set up on a huge table next to a roaring fire.
Our room was so inviting and cosy. Lovely, comfortable bed to sink into and easy to use jacuzzi.
I cannot fault my experience of staying in the Old Monterey inn. It really was such a treat and a wonderful experience. I have worked in hotel and catering management for animber of years in the past and as such am so impressed with the amiable professional care we received. My husband and I will be raving about this inn for some time to come.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Lawrence and Katy made our stay amazing! After a long day of flying from the east coast, they made us feel like we could finally relax. The room was cozy with a fireplace and the property was beautiful!! The breakfast was delicious and filling. My husband and I cannot wait to come back.

• Stayed October 2013
Hope Valley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Lawrence & Katy were very welcoming hosts at their beautiful home. The interior was stunning and we had great pleasure relaxing in their lovely garden. Nice too, to have drinks and hors d'oeuvres on the terrace. We were in The Library bedroom and had breakfast on our balcony. The tray of food was beautifully presented & delicious with my gluten free needs catered for. A real gem of a place.
Viv & Peter

San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We chose this B&B because it was part of the same group as the Simpson House in Santa Barbara, which we love, and the photos and reviews seemed to reflect a similar quality. We stayed in the Mayfield Room, which was comfortable and beautifully decorated. The hosts were helpful, hospitable and lovely. They have lovingly restored this house and they have turned the gardens into a wonderland. We wouldn't stay anywhere else in Monterey.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife and I had issues which prevented us from staying at the Inn. The Owners were so gracious to understand our concerns and immediately credited our stay. If B & B's are your thing I don't think you can go wrong with this place. Lovely Owners.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Visalia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

What an experience! This is an absolutely beautiful place with the most gracious and kind innkeepers. They say nobody's perfect...however the Old Monterey Inn.... is perfect! Our room was wonderful, breakfeast was fabulous and the Inn and grounds are spectacular.

Room Tip: Any room will be perfect!
Reno, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Recently, my boyfriend and I took an end-of-the-summer trip to Monterey. We needed a relaxing vacation and that is exactly what we received at the Old Monterey Inn. The setting was absolutely beautiful; abundant in various plants and flowers that made the exterior, itself, feel lively. The inn is far enough away from downtown to uphold peace and quiet, but tourist sites are only minutes away. The room was fabulous. It had a royal and classic appeal with convenient modern touches. The vibe of the room was comforting, as opposed to that of a plain "hotel room." The owners, generous and informative, claimed that no two rooms are the same, so we will definitely be going back next holiday to try another.

Room Tip: Contact the inn! They know how to help you choose the room that best suits you.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Old Monterey Inn? Share your experiences!