“Charming Old-Monterey” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dallas/Ft. Worth
“Charming Old-Monterey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

What a wonderful B&B! We stayed in the Ashford suite and loved everything about it. The term "suite" is over-used these days, but the Ashford suite truly was one...equipped with its own dressing room and a separate sitting room, with fireplace. I'm an early bird, so it was nice to have a cozy place to sit and have my coffee in the morning without waking up my wife. Our room was down the hall from the others, so we felt like we had our own wing with the privacy and quiet that comes with separation.

The Inn, itself, was very serene. The beautiful grounds are rambling and peaceful, and a perfect place to walk and sit. Breakfast was not only delicious, but also beautifully presented...with lots of color and frest fruit.

We really felt like the inn gave us the opportunity to taste, see, and experience Monterey in a very authentic, historic, and luxurious way. I would not trade that for any hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in this wonderful accommodation. The welcome from Everett was pleasant, informative and most gracious. We received an upgrade to the Brightstone suite which was gorgeous. The garden views were beautiful as was the whole facility.
The breakfasts at 0900 were a bit late for travelers and a bit rich for our palates but were beautifully presented and gave us a great opportunity to chat with other guests.
The afternoon drinks and nibbles were most welcome and appreciated and another opportunity to discuss the days events it the next days planning with others.
Their recommendations for meals, some within easy walking distance were very appropriate.
We can only but highly recommend The Old Monterey Inn for an relaxing stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I don't know where to begin. I contacted Katy last year told her what my husband's requirements were and she told me what room to book. We arrived after check in notified Katy by email and she left our check in information for us. As soon as we drove up I knew I was going to love this B and B, Beautiful gardens. We unlocked the door and walked in to a nice reception area and the living room where Tawny Port awaited us. We explored a little more and found fresh Biscotti. We walked upstairs to our room Katy without having met us knew exactly what we wanted. We stayed in the Mayfield Room and LOVED IT.

When Katy received my email telling her that we would be late she asked if we wanted room service or did we want to eat with everyone else. I am very social, however the thought of not having to be dressed and presentable really appealed to us so we opted for room service. We were to call when done with the trays but sometimes that took us 2 hours (we were done just didn't call) and we were rarely out of the room before 11 for it to be made up. We get up early for work and just didn't feel like rushing! No one said a word.

The breakfast's were great different than we have had before. Usually the main course is some sort of fritata, not here, every day was something different french toast, eggs, blintz and so good and so well presented. You will not go wrong staying here and I am hoping I can convince hubby to come back next year to celebrate our anniversary. Great location Great Service Beautiful property you must stay here!! You will not be sorry! My husband's only "complaint " was no bacon,ham or sausage for breakfast. There was so much food not sure why he thought that was necessary.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Old Monterey Inn for one night in late October. Though we arrived a little too early for check-in since my husband had a tee time at noon at the Links at Spanish Bay, it did not pose a problem. Katy welcomed us warmly, gave us a tour of the house and showed us two rooms to choose from. We fell in love with the Stoneleigh with its pastel motif, king size bed and beautiful linens. The fireplace and the sitting area added to the coziness of the room. The bathroom had Aveda toiletries and the closet had bathrobes and slippers for the guests to use. Katy mentioned she is in the process of redecorating the different rooms and has just completed the Stoneleigh. When she found out we were in Monterey to celebrate my husband’s birthday, she gave us a discount on the room rate and offered to make our dinner reservations that night at Roy’s in Pebble Beach where another wonderful surprise awaited us thanks to Katy.

One of the highlights of our stay was the breakfast which we opted to have in our room. A basket with a pot of coffee and a jar of biscotti was left on our doorstep at 7:30. By 9:00 AM, Katy and her assistant personally delivered our breakfast and set everything up in the sitting area. We were served cheese blintzes topped with an assortment of fresh fruits (absolutely heavenly), freshly squeezed orange juice with banana slices and a new pot of coffee and tea. It was the best breakfast ever!!! If we had the opportunity and our schedule allowed it, we would have stayed another night of pampering and five star treatment.

The Old Monterey Inn boasts old world charm and elegance. The living room exuded comfort and relaxation. The dining room was exquisitely decorated. The garden was beautifully landscaped. Above all, the attention to detail was impressive and the service top-notch.

Katy, thanks for making our stay very memorable. We can’t wait to visit again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Arroyo Grande, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Beautiful gardens...Lovely historic home... Delicious food...Enchanting rooms, but for all of that, it's the total of all those qualities and attention to detail that makes for an exceptional experience. My friend and I stayed an extra night because we just did not want to leave! We were accommodated at the same price and had an equally lovely room. My fave...we didn't have to " dress" for breakfast because we had the choice of it being delivered to our room AND check out is at noon...you will want to linger. We can hardly wait to plan another "girl's" trip revolving around this awesome bed & breakfast. The Old Monterey Inn is a destination in itself. Thanks Katy!

Room Tip: Look at the photos online. Suites are a bit bigger but everything was sooo comfortable with luxury b...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here four times over five years - each time has been a delight. The present owner has made it an even more delightful event. Being creatures of habit, we always stay in the same room. It has always looked fresh, newly painted, and no dust anywhere. Breakfast in our sitting room next to the fire is always a treat. Due to an emergency at work, I had to call to cancel at the last minute after the cancellation deadline. I fully expected to 'eat' the cost of the trip but the owner allowed me to schedule out two weeks later. At $600/night, that was no small gesture. For intimacy, this is our favorite stay; rivaled for us only by Hotel Del in San Diego, and the concierge floor at Grove Park Inn in NC.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Camarillo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed in the Rookery room for four nights, including Christmas. We enjoyed our stay immensely. The setting was very pleasant; the common area was warm and inviting, especially with all of the Christmas decorations. We were very impressed with the staff. All were extremely friendly and informative. The breakfast setting encouraged an atmosphere of pleasant discussion with the other guests. We came away with a definite feeling of "family" with staff and other guests.
Ward L.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Old Monterey Inn? Share your experiences!