“Kind of average.” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Chart House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 257 restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Drake Avenue
Upstate, New York
“Kind of average.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

Food was fine, not extraordinary. Restaurant furnishings were fine, not extraordinary. Service was excellent and the ocean view is outstanding. This is a favorite spot for tourists visiting the Monterey/Cannery Row area and as such, not my cup of tea. We usually seek out more "authentic" and local places but thought we'd give this a try. I wouldn't go back but I would recommend it for what it is.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

83% Recommend
California
“Worst service ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

I called Chart House in Monterey at 2:30PM and asked for reservations for a front window seating. They confirmed a 5:15 PM reservation and got my name and cell phone number. I arrive at the Restaurant at about 5PM. I let them know I have a reservation and my party and I are asked to sit for about 10 minutes. Please note, while we were seated and waiting, people entered the restaurant and were seated in great locations. When we were seated we got a poor table facing the salad bar and no linen on table. I complained but the hostess did not care. The waitress was ok she knew we were upset. The server took or orders, without asking how we wanted the steaks prepared. I assume she already knew. A manager came to our table and asked how everything was and I requested to talk to him after the dinner. After the dinner The Chart House General Manager,Ellen Marconi, asked if everything was ok? I explained the seating issue etc. Marconi said, The Chart House doesnt take reservations and it is first come first serve. I mentioned we were ahead of many seated after we arrived, but, were asked to be seated for 10 minutes. She was sorry, so was I. Poor service is no excuse in this economy. I would avoid Chart House Restaurants during high tourist season, as they have too much business.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
California
“Rediculously over-priced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

The Chart House used to be my favorite restaurant. However, I went there this last weekend and was greatly disappointed. I paid $34+ for a filet mignon and got mashed potatoes. If I wanted a baked potato, add another $3. If I wanted a dinner salad, add $7. REDICULOUS!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Ramon, CA
“Great food, great view.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

We've have found Chart House dining to be very reliable over the years. We have visited 10-12 of them. They have the best features of both seafood and steak houses. The Monterey Chart House may be the best of the group. A beautiful dining room with an expansive view of Monterey Bay and pleasant personnel add to the ambiance. Dining with two other couples, everyone enjoyed their meal, with the chowder and salad bar both getting rave reviews. A special menu with a half dozen different entrees provided a reasonably priced and tasty dinner for everyone at our table.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Santa Clara
“Service, Service and Views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

The service is the best part about this restaurant it was and is the best place to have a nice dinner for a special occasion. The views of the bay are incredible and to see sea otters, dolphins and deals just out the window makes the place even more special.
The food is good, salad bar is exceptional. If you a special place to have dinner try the Chart House.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere