“Inviting atmosphere and very warm, friendly servers” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 267 Restaurants in Monterey
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Doing business, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar, suspended over the waters of Monterey Bay, is a stunning restaurant featuring sustainable seafood and approachable, contemporary American cuisine. The ideal location for celebrating the Central Coast and the spectacular coastal region, Executive Chef Waller's commitment to fresh, sustainable seafood is reflected in the creative menu which features a variety of seafood options, both raw and cooked, as well as appetizers, soups, salads, large platters meant for sharing, and wood-fired dishes. A creative cocktail menu is served alongside an impressive wine list highlighting Monterey County vintners. The high-energy bar, bustling open kitchen, and dramatic outdoor patio personifies a relaxed, fun and joyous atmosphere.
Reno, Nevada
“Inviting atmosphere and very warm, friendly servers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

It was our first time at Schooners and we realized the restaurant was more of a fine dining experience- our three adolescent kids were a little tentative when looking at the menu. Sarda, our very helpful, sweet server caught on right away and helped the girls find just what their hearts desired. We all enjoyed our dinner and were very satisfied. We had a similar experience the next morning with a wonderful server who helped us get our breakfast pronto so we wouldn't be late to our whale watching experience. I sure wish I knew his name! Overall, the staff should be commended for being extremely attentive.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Bellingham, Washington
“Excellent food and outgoing service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

I came there with my girlfriend and her family. Our server, Sarda, was a very friendly and outgoing server. She was always making sure that we had everything that we requested. My girlfriends family drink, however my girlfriend and I do not drink alcoholic beverages. Sarda was quick to provide us with an alternative, apple cider (yum!), which for us rarely happens. Now the food... oh boy the food was delicious! We started off with a tuna poke, it was spicy! Then we had the In Hot Water Appetizer, which has baked oysters. They were cooked just right, not too slimy and not too chewy. The Angry prawns were delicious! Next I had pretty loaded clam chowder. It had whole clams, something you don't see in your average clam chowder. My girlfriend had the Cioppino, She loved it, it had all her favorite shellfish. The broth was savory and went well with the fresh bread provided. We were very happy to read on the menu that Schooner's supports local fisheries and follows the seafood recommendations by the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch in order to help with wildlife conservation and food safety.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing service and excellent food/cocktails!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Can't recommend Schooners highly enough! We had a wonderful meal here.

First of all the hostess was super efficient and brought us to our table wishing us a happy anniversary (it was our first anniversary so I mentioned it when making the booking to be sure of a good table having read reviews where people mentioned how busy it can be here).

We received Champagne or Prosecco or Cava (I can't remember but I enjoyed it regardless) while we browsed the menu. We had "IN HOT WATER: Angry Prawns, Crab Fondido, Wood Baked Oysters" to start which was delicious; especially the prawns as promised by our server (who was really attentive and charming all through the meal!). Then to follow we shared the "FILET MIGNON AND ROASTED STUFFED WHOLE LOBSTER for two with spiced shrimp and scallop stuffing, schooners spice rub" (excuse the caps- lifted this directly from the menu page!). We also shared the brocolini and creamy mash on the side and were totally defeated by this immense and delicious meal but Lorinda, our server was so thoughtful that when we declined dessert she still brought us out a small bowl of ice cream with a candle which was really sweet and memorable.

All in all, we had a beautiful meal here, the service was wonderful and we genuinely can't wait to return when we're back in Monterey this year!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Monterey_Plaza, General Manager at Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Niamhen,

Thank you for your generous five-star review and kind comments regarding your recent dining experience at Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar. I’m delighted to read you enjoyed both the food and service. I look forward to sharing your review with our culinary team and Lorinda. Thank you for celebrating your anniversary at Schooners. We hope to welcome you back next year.

John V. Narigi
Vice President & General Manager
Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa
Pittsburgh, PA
“Mediocre food, bad service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I ate at this restaurant because I was staying at the Monterey Plaza Hotel and Spa (which was excellent, by the way) along with my husband, my brother, and his wife.

The drinks were just fine--expensive for what they were: two average microbrews and an unremarkable gin cocktail (which cost about $13 if I remember correctly). I ordered the cioppino, my husband the scallops, my brother the swordfish, and my sister-in-law the asparagus soup and a beet salad. The salad was over-dressed and under-seasoned and the asparagus soup had about as much asparagus flavor as a cream of broccoli soup might. The swordfish was pretty well cooked, perhaps a bit much for my taste but I wasn't eating it. The scallops were under-seasoned and a bit over-done as well. I thought the cioppino was fine, but my husband was a bit unimpressed with it.

But the service was what really struck us as odd. As a former long-time waiter myself, I know that some tables really want to just order their food, spend time with their tablemates, eat, pay, and leave. Other tables want to banter and get to know the server. That night, we were of the former type, but the server didn't seem to notice. He regaled us with tales about his plans to visit the city and gave us unsolicited advice about which places to visit on our return trip to San Francisco. He pressured my sister-in-law to have an alcoholic drink not once, not twice, not thrice, but at least four times that I can count on four separate visits to the table (up-selling is one thing, but a young woman could easily be pregnant, a recovering alcoholic, Mormon or Muslim, already drunk enough thank-you-very-much, or in my sister's case: just not in the mood for a drink). A final comment that struck us all as pretty racist (at the very least nationalist/xenophobic, but to be fair was probably just uttered out of a combination of good intentions, loquaciousness, and ignorance) capped the evening off.

We ended up returning later to speak with the manager about our service who was very apologetic and assured us that she would speak with the server in question. It's our fault for not having spoken up sooner about the whole affair, I suppose, when we could have been re-assigned a server perhaps, so I can't blame the manager or the restaurant. But that was our experience.

Visited December 2013
Monterey_Plaza, General Manager at Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent dining experience at Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar. We are sorry to learn of your disappointing experience. Please accept my sincere apologies for the customer services issues you experienced while dining with us. In addition, I apologize that your food did not meet expectations. I can assure you that your comments have been addressed with our restaurant management and staff.

As your review was such a departure from the enjoyable dining experience we strive to provide, it would be greatly appreciated if you could be so kind as to contact me directly. I would welcome the opportunity to learn more about the details of your dining experience. I can be reached by phone at 831-645-4000 or by email at jnarigi@montereyplazahotel.com.

John V. Narigi
Vice President & General Manger
Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Wow! It gets better every time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Visitng the west coast over Christmas and visited the Monterey Plaza Hotel and Spa for luncheon on a beautiful, warm, sunny, California dreamin' afternoon! Couldn't ask for a better atmosphere and the food matched perfectly. Hit of the day were the fresh oysters. We also enjoyed a Gazpacho that was riddled with fresh veggies-even radishes!!! Our waitress, Colleen, was delightful and very informative even down to the type of wine to clebrate with each entree. As always, the Plaza is one of our favorite places to visit. Bon apetit !!!

• Visited December 2013