“Great food but a tourist volume restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 226 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: American, Chowder, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar, suspended over the waters of Monterey Bay, is a stunning restaurant featuring sustainable seafood and approachable, contemporary American cuisine. The ideal location for celebrating the Central Coast and the spectacular coastal region, Executive Chef Waller's commitment to fresh, sustainable seafood is reflected in the creative menu which features a variety of seafood options, both raw and cooked, as well as appetizers, soups, salads, large platters meant for sharing, and wood-fired dishes. A creative cocktail menu is served alongside an impressive wine list highlighting Monterey County vintners. The high-energy bar, bustling open kitchen, and dramatic outdoor patio personifies a relaxed, fun and joyous atmosphere.
San Diego, California
“Great food but a tourist volume restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Having navigated the less than adequate signage, we arrived at this restaurant on the OpenTable agreed time. Then, we had to cool our heels for about 20 minutes in a bar that has a broad liquor selection and a bartender with the attitude of competence. When seated, we we given what many in the industry would consider the worst table in the house: a table adjacent to the back of house staff entry, across from a server prep area and with a very limited view of the great vistage of this restaurant. Having such an inauspicious beginning, the personality and competence of the wait staff, the freshness and presentation of the food (especially the poke uniquely served on a salt block and the chioppino) pretty much made the evening. Located in the lower level of a Cannery area hotel, the restaurant features a combination of more formal areas and less formal indoor/outdoor patio dining and bar service. The crowd appeared to be mostly tourists, as one may expect in that area of town. Given the prime location, the service did not only reflect an indifference to a clientele that is unlikely to return. Parking can be an issue if one does not take advantage of the hotel valet facility.

Visited July 2013

New York
“Ours was not a good experience.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I ate here one night while in Monterey. When I tried to order a drink it literally took 15 or so minutes to get it. Had to ask more than once. Dinner came, mine was good, my wife's fish was seriously overlooked. Then we got the bill and after paying my wife's credit card was not returned to us! My wife didn't realize it at the time so it resulted in a bit of a panic the next morning. Turns out the waitress just never gave it back and the restaurant did have it. Overall the service was really bad and the food was average.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Monterey_Plaza, Food & Beverage Director at Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your experience at Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar. All feedback is important and helps us to improve.

I am disappointed the service and food did not meet your expectations. I assure you that these matters have been addressed.

In addition, please accept my sincere apologies that your credit card was not returned to you, truly an oversight on our part. My apologies for the lack of service and inconsistent food quality.

I would appreciate the opportunity to talk to you directly. If you could please call me at 831-645 4004 or contact by e-mail at lstokkebye@montereyplazahotel.com, it would be helpful.

Chicago, Illinois
“A True Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Typically hotel eateries lack charm, good food and service but not here. Schooners is THE place to go. We had a truly delightful meal at a fair price. Sharon kept all in line, Alex and Ryan were great servers and the chiapino was the best ever. Want a great meal go here but make reservations.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Monterey_Plaza, Food & Beverage Director at Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Bretjina,

I am happy to hear that Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar was a true delight and that you
enjoyed the service and the food. The Cioppino is one of my personal favorites. I hope you have
the opportunity to return if your travels bring you back to Monterey.

Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
“Overrated, Poor Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We were staying at the Monterey Plaza Hotel so we decided to eat at the hotel after driving down from San Francisco and spending the afternoon at the aquarium. Since we did not know our timing, we did not make reservations and did not mind that we were told the wait was 35 minutes. The 35 minutes came and went and we still waited. The hostess seemed to be seating regulars as soon as we walked in the door. When they finally decided that they better seat us, they shoved two round tables together for our party of four. I asked the hostess what was wrong with the nice table that I had watched sit empty for the last hour.

She then asked if I was a guest at the hotel, looked me up to confirm that we were at the hotel and after a few minutes seated us there. Hotel guests seem to get the better water views. It turned out that the table had an air conditioning vent right over it so we were uncomfortable during the meal anyway.

The food was just average so I would suggest you go somewhere else.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Monterey_Plaza, Food & Beverage Director at Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Dave,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback. I am disappointed that your dining experience at Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar was not to your expectations.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of customer service you received at the hostess desk and that your window request was not fulfilled and unacceptable wait time. I can assure you that these matters have been discussed with our hostess desk and restaurant management.

I would appreciate the opportunity to talk to you directly. If you could please call me at 831-645-4004 or contact by e-mail at lstokkebye@montereyplazahotel.com, it would be helpful.

Modesto, California
“Great food & service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Sarda was the best server! Full of great advice on local attractions! She pointed me in the direction of a fabulous wine tasting room. Food was served promptly and with a warm smile!

Visited June 2013