“Great selection of fish, and kid friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Fish Hopper is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 260 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Prescott Street
Transit: Cannery Row has free trolley service from various locations on the Monterey Peninsula with stops directly in front of the restaurant. There is also the normal public bus system which a stop within a short distance of the restaurant.
Description: The FishHopper * Experience the beauty of the Pacific Ocean, combined with world class dining on historic Cannery Row,within walking distance to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and fine shops.The Fish Hopper, once an original sardine cannery building, offers spectacular panoramic views of the beautiful Monterey Bay from every table including our heated outdoor patio. The Fish Hopper specializes in fresh sustainable seafood,certified Angus steaks,pastas and live shellfish.Some of our menu favorites are the fresh abalone from the Monterey Bay, the “Island Sampler”(fresh seared Ahi tuna from Kona served with coconut shrimp and a crab cake), Macadamia-crusted halibut, our famous “Tomahawk Chop” long bone-in Rib Eye, or fresh Dungeness Crab available year round.2010 West Coast 1st place winner for our famous clam chowder soup.In addition to our fabulous menu indulge in one of our many exotic cocktail creations. While enjoying a delicious meal watch frolicking sea otters at play and even see the occasional whale.
outside Atlanta, GA
“Great selection of fish, and kid friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We went to the Fish Hopper based on Trip Advisor reviews. It's a little bit of the off season in Monterey so it was not busy. The staff took care to give our six year old her own menu and crayons and she was very happy to color.

She ordered the fish and chips - which was really delicious and not a "dumbed down" (i.e. frozen) version of fish. It was two real pieces of fish, battered and fried, with fries and a fruit cup. We asked for no melons in the fruit cup and they happily obliged.

My husband had the captains platter, which was a little expensive, but he really enjoyed it, along with a Caesar salad. The salad was very fragrant and the croutons were homemade. I am not a seafood person really so I had the fettuccine alfredo with chicken, and while not as good as homemade it was light and flavorful. We also had an apple cobbler a la mode for dessert, which was very good.

They looked to have a great selection of wines, although we didn't partake. Service attentive and nice, a little pricey but we're in a tourist town eating at a tourist place. I'm sure the views over the water are gorgeous, but we went after dark.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

santa rosa, ca
“Great seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stopped by for dinner. The food was all excellent. I had the seared tuns which was done perfectly. Others had other kinds of fish and all liked them. We had the calamari appetizer which was fine (I am not a big calamari fan). I also had the clam chowder which I would say was 4 star, not quite 5 star. We went for dinner which was too bad as they have a great view of the bay.

Visited February 2013
Fairfield, California
“Such a treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I have been going to the Fish Hopper for years. We have never had a bad experience there, where the staff is friendly, efficient, and helpful, and the food is fantastic. Love the clam chowder, ahi tuna, lobster, and filet mignon. Great view of the Bay, and the ambiance is nice. It's a bit pricey, but for people like me who do not go out to eat much at all, it's a treat! Can't wait to go back!

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
“Superio and Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

A friend and I were visiting my sister in Sunnyvale, CA and we all went to Monterrey for a day trip. Of course the scenery, land- and seascapes are incredibly beautiful, but adding to our enjoyment was the fabulous and fun lunch we had at the Fish Hopper Restaurant. Great tasting fresh seafood dishes were expertly complimented by savory wines from a large selection. The staff and their service were definitely superior and the prices were average for the area. We all three loved it and highly recommend dining at the Fish Hopper when you visit the Monterrey Peninsula!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Red Bluff, California
“Pricey View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Wife and I were at the aquarium and one of the volunteers suggested we go the Fish Hopper for lunch. It is only a couple of blocks from the aquarium, so was a nice little walk along cannery row to get there. They served us a sample of their chowder when we arrived, very tasty. We were asked if we wanted inside or outside seating, we said outside and were immediately seated. Our table was right on the rail above the water, gorgeous view of the bay. During our meal we saw a pod of dolphins; some divers enter the water off the rocks, just a very relaxing view.

The waiter came to our table and immediately starting pushing their specials (all in the $30+ range), he then went over the menu, and everything was in the $20+ range. The menu is designed for you to order these more expensive items, the back few pages of the menu (after the two pages of pictures there are some lower priced items).

When the waiter returned I asked what they had that was light, he suggested the fresh caught calamari. I was skeptical that it was very light, but went with his recommendation. He was right; it was very light, and very tasty.

My wife had the crab salad on a croissant. She liked it and rated it 4 out of 5 stars.

We then had desert, wife had triple chocolate cake, and I had their cheesecake. Both were very good, wife and I agreed cheesecake was better than the cake.

The food is good, the view is good; don't think I would go there for lunch again based on the value, for dinner yes.

• Visited January 2013