“An off-the-beaten-track GEM!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Chandler, Arizona
“An off-the-beaten-track GEM!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

It's often worth escaping the tourist traps near the ocean/waterways to find the local spots' best- and we found it at the Monterrey Fish House.
It is small, seating 67 (so the sign says), so if you can, like us, ask to sit at the bar, and order from there.
Matthew was exceptional and attentive as our bartender and server.

We split the Cioppino and it came with veggies and pasta, which he made sure we also received. There seems like there is always a line- a great family spot, couple spot, and friends meeting spot.

Everything is fresh and well-prepared, they seem to sell a lot of the octopus, by what i saw...

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Fabulous and Fresh!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

This was a most delectable meal. I ordered a half dozen raw oysters which were delicious. They are from Washington, called Hama Hama Oysters. Big, fat, godzilla oysters! Tasted just like the ocean, salty and nutty at the same time.
I also ordered one of their specials, a homemade linguine pasta with an alfredo cream sauce and artichoke hearts, clams, green-lipped mussels, shrimp, scallops, zucchini, tomatoes, and cauliflower. I couldn't stop eating (I put my fork down twice!) it was just so damn good.
Based on what I got, I would highly recommend this restaurant!!

Redwood City
“Very, very good sea food restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Small place, kind of loud when packed, and you will wait a while when it is busy and you do have a reservation, but definitely worth it. The specials all sounded amazing, this on top of an already extensive sea food menu. They also have non-sea food as well.

Excellent, attentive service. Make it a point to go if you love sea food and are going to be in the area!

Peoria, Illinois
“LOCAL GEM!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We found this by accident, and boy, were we glad we did! We did not have reservations, but fortunately we were able to get in. The place is charmingly small, but oh, what a restaurant! The salmon I had was caught two hours before it was served to me, blackened...delicious. My husband, had Bouillbaisse, which I have never seen on the menu in the US. He said it was good. All of the employees were professional and really working their tails off. This is a family owned restaurant, which I later heard is a local favorite. I was also told we were lucky to get in the door without reservations, because there is normally an hour wait. Call ahead and eat here if you are in Monterey.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Salinas, California
“Great meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Visited the Monterey fish house for dinner with friends for dinner last night. We had a reservation for what I thought was early for a Monday night. We walked in on time to find the restaurant was packed. A great sign. We were seated immediately and brought water and bread right away. As a better table opened were we moved to it without asking. Great service. Very impressed. The menu to us was familiar because our favorite restaurant in nearby salinas sadly closed a while back. The two restaurants were owned by family members. Two of us ordered our long time favorite calamari Parmesan with eggplant. We were not disappointed. It was just the way the salinas restaurant made it. My friend had the fresh ahi and my husband the birthday boy ordered the fresh Monterey bay salmon which was excellent. At the end of the meal we sang happy birthday to my husband and on our way out he was presented with a glorious piece of chocolate cake that we enjoyed at home. Great service and food. Next time we will be sure to get there early because as the evening progressed there were many many people waiting for a table.