“My wife says, "The best restaurant meal I've ever had"!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 259 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Inyokern,CA
“My wife says, "The best restaurant meal I've ever had"!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We finally broke down and made a 5pm reservation at Monterey's Fish House. While we did not need the reservation I'm sure glad we went. They exceeded my expectations by a wide margin. The wait staff was very good and helped us with our menu choices. I had the artichoke, seafood and linguini special and my wife made her own special. She ordered Alaskan Halibut and scampi with vegies, pasta and pesto. No problem with special orders here! And, you better be HUNGRY. I could not eat all the seafood and choke hearts and the halibut was in a doggie box also. Emm, late night snacks.

Prices are what they are and you get what you pay for. The wine list is full and priced right as far as we were concerened. You get your monies worth and then some here.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Kansas City, Missouri, United States
“freshest of fish, well prepared / poisson frais bien préparé”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Expected a very casual restaurant from others' comments, but in fact it has white table clothes (with a glass topper) and a nice, beach cottage feel despite being an old store front on a somewhat commercial street.
The food, however, lived up to everyone's rave reviews. If you have a massive appetite, get one of the pasta & seafood dishes - my sicilian pasta dish had enormous sweet mussels, clams, three large pieces of fish, shrimp, and scallops. I couldn't even finish the fish, let alone the homemade linguine it came with. My husband's halibut came in a more reasonable portion size, but it was no less fresh and delicious. Service is professional, wine prices very reasonable. A must-dine location in Monterey.
Le meilleur restaurant de poisson de Monterey, sans question. Atmosphère relax (ambiance maison de plage), prix plus qu'abordables (le vin est vraiment bon marché), et du poisson frais, préparé simplement et bien. Les plats avec pâtes sont énormes, ceux du poisson "seul" de taille plus raisonnable, mais le tout est délicieux. A ne pas manquer.

Visited June 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Shared Dinner with Strangers”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I visited this restaurant today due to ratings with Trip Advisor as #7 in Monterey. The restaurant is small, over priced, and does not care about customers. My wife and I both ordered halibut, it was good, but over priced at $31.00. This was a full $10 above anything else on the menu, we made the mistake of not asking what the evening specials cost. Additionally, after making a reservation for dinner, we were seated at essentially the same table as two guests who arrived 20 minutes later while their were multiple empty table open at 9:30 on a Wednesday night.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Orange County, California
“Exactly what I like in a meal . . .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

After a long road trek to Monterey, we happened upon the Monterey Fish House. Each of the three of us ordered one of the night's specials. Grilled salmon for me, grilled halibut for my friend, crab cake and scallops combo for my husband. Really large portions, incredibly helpful and efficient service, tasty grilled veggies and pasta on the side. Straightforward preparation, lively atmosphere, awesome servers, fresh, fresh, fresh tasting food.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Houston, Texas
“Easily One of the Top Five Meals in my Life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We've lived in New Orleans where we were spoiled by great seafood restaurants. Monterey Fish House offered a unique flavor, though, and easily rivaled the N.O. cuisine. I had the Snapper with vegetables, and both had a wonderful smoky flavor from the oak grill. I had hoped that the bread might be more akin to some of the great San Francisco sour dough since were were in such close proximity. The Creme Broule was superb. We gladly sacrificed a potential view of the ocean at one of the touristy places near Cannery Row for this smaller out-of-the-way gem.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere