I wanted to like this hotel more than I did but the positives do outweigh the negatives. Here's the positives:
1. Great location. Only stayed one night for a softball camp at CSUMB but being the heart of it all was great. Left the car in the garage for the night and walked to Cannery Row for dinner. Also did a little walk along the wharf at sunset which was nice.
2. Hotel staff were courteous, knowledgeable and the service was great.
3. Room was well appointed and comfortable.
4. Breakfast buffet (which was included in our deal) was good, plenty of choices in a pleasant setting with good service.
1. Not sure why but you can hear everything in this hotel. Maybe because there are no drapes on the windows (only plantation shutters, so no soft surface to act as a baffle), but the noise travels all around the hotel. We heard every toilet flush, every car on the street, people talking at all hours, and a baby crying in the lobby carried all the way up the corridor. We were on floor five all the way at the end which I thought would be a quieter location, but no.
2. A common complaint from other reviewers, but why no free wi-fi?
3. Although our room was clean and tastefully decorated, it did need some minor maintenance. Peeling paint on the bathroom door, some minor stains that should be taken care of (room 560)
All in all a good hotel in a good location with very good staff. The deal we got with Travelzoo was excellent - $149 including buffet breakfast for two. I would stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Portola Hotel & Spa reflects the captivating spirit of a rich, historical setting surrounded by everything that the Monterey Peninsula has to offer. Your stay at the Portola Hotel begins with warm homemade chocolate chip cookies, provided at check-in. As the only Silver LEED(R)-EB certified hotel on the central coast of California, the hotel boasts 379 guestrooms and suites, an award winning full service day spa, two on site eateries, a craft brewery and more! Portola Hotel & Spa is one of California's premier family-friendly destinations offering easy access to Monterey's favorite attractions. The hotel is also pet friendly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Loews Hotels, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portola Hotel And Spa At Monterey Bay
- Portola Hotel Monterey Bay