“large complex, lovely room” 4 of 5 stars

Breakfast for Two
Ranked #7 of 53 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersGold level
auckland
“large complex, lovely room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We booked last minute for a one night stopover. The king room was on the 5th floor overlooking the inner courtyard. The room was a good size and the shutters give a beachy feel even when there is no view to speak of. The water bottles on the desk were $4 each the cost of which was etched in the glass stand beside them - and hard to read. Perhaps a more obvious notice that the water was not complementary would have been helpful. The Venture gallery in the hotel's foyer is a collective of local artists and well worth a look.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Winter Park, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Three of us stayed at the Portola June 1 -3. We had traveled there so I could fulfill my son's last wish for his ashes to be scattered off shore. It was an important time for us and the staff made our stay just amazing. Seven of us had breakfast at Jack's and I highy recommend the food and service. The room was comfortable, coffe available was also very good. Pool area was extremely relaxing. I will return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This place knows how to put on a great show! The rooms are well appointed, clean and fairly spacious with very comfortable beds and linens (first time in a while I'd been in a hotel without towels that felt like sandpaper) The hotel is big enough so that even on sold-out evenings, guests can lounge comfortably in the lobby area which has beautiful trees and seating everywhere. We were very impressed with the overall experience and proximity to Monterey attractions (walking distance to Wharf, Aquarium etc).

Breakfast at Jacks was well worth it (included in our pkg, $139/night) and the selection and service exceeded my expectations.

The cons? Parking is $17 a night and there is no air conditioning in the rooms. Also- the walls are very thin and the weekend was rowdy.

Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed with our daughters and their partners. We rented 3 rooms and had a great time. The rooms were very very nice, great coffee makers in the room balconies were great and I love the comfortable beds. Frond desk was impressive! Very friendly. Thanks for making our daughters graduation gift a great experience.

Room Tip: If you find this on travelzoo take it fast. The rooms are luxurious, you get the best rooms. We chec...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Davidsonville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Although the California Central Coast is famous for its marine layer fog, the sun always shines on the Portorla in Monterey. That was our experience on a recent visit to this wonderful part of the USA. Our visit was prompted by a three-day business meeting to which we added three vacation days to see the area.

The Portola is a wonderfully maintained property centrally located to the many points of interest in the bay area. The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful, the rooms large, well appointed and clean. Only steps away from the fisherman's wharf, there are plenty of fine restaurants from which to choose. The hotel itself has nice choices as well as a sports bar. Parking is very convenient.

No trip to Montery would be complete without visiting Carmel, Carmel By The Sea, Pacific Grove, 17-Mile Drive and Big Sur. The coastline drives in this part of the world are breathtaking and really beyond description with the written word. Everybody should see Big Sur, truly a national treasure.

The Monterey airport was an unexpected delight. Talk about convenience and easy to use, wow.

I would highly recommend the Portola for business or pleasure. If we are lucky enough to return we will certainly stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor harbor view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My wife and I needed a a getaway from Southern Cali for just a couple of days and went up to the Portola Hotel and Spa. We could not have been more pleased. This place is amazing! From the moment we pulled up my valet (Jorge, I soon learned who helped me find my way around town later) was right there helping me out and getting me squared away. As our bags were being loaded up, we go to check in and someone holds a door open for me welcoming us to the hotel with a smile. We felt like royalty! The place overall is beautiful and the room has a mattress so comfortable that my wife has describes it as "magic". The hotel is located right next to Fisherman's Wharf and while you can walk around and sample the great shops and bars, make sure you try the actual Portola's restaurant Jack's. There is a breakfast buffet that is killer complete with "Linda" who makes specialty omelets. I remember her name and you will too because not only does she make omelets that will have you swooning, she's super cool. If you have the dinner there, the food is delicious and the wine is local delicious treats (as only NorCal can produce) and the beer is brewed on site and couldn't be better.
All of these things were made better by the fact that every service need was attended to. Everyone I encountered not only had a smile but actually gave me the feeling that they couldn't be happier helping me out. I've worked in customer service for 8 years and this was a place I wanted to bottle up and use to show as an example to other places.
If you're looking for a getaway that will be relaxing or somewhere to go for an anniversary and you want a place that has everything you need complete with top to bottom awesome service this is the place.

Windermere, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The only negative I can say is that we went here for the first 2 nights of a three week vacation and spent the rest of the vacation wishing we were back here!

The Portola hotel was in a perfect location, right next to the old town, and the Fisherman's Wharf. Our room was a simple 2 Queen bedroom but it was lovely.

The package we got included breakfast in the hotels restaurant. I am normally not very impressed with buffet breakfasts but between the excellent omelets and the amazing fresh fruit, especially the Strawberries, it was just wonderful.

The staff at the front desk and in the restaurant couldn't have been more friendly or helpful.

We had a wonderful stay and would go there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay? Share your experiences!