“Excellent in every way!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Whaling Station Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 225 Restaurants in Monterey
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The internationally acclaimed Whaling Station, perched just above Steinbeck’s Cannery Row has been Monterey County’s #1 Steak House for over 40 years, The Whaling Station takes the term “Steak House” seriously... See the restaurant’s dry-aging room, select your USDA Prime cut of dry-aged beef from a silver tray, your Prime, Prime Rib from the antique 1930’s silver carving trolley, and enjoy your Caesar Salad being tossed tableside. An award winning wine list and full spirits bar complement your dining experience. Serving Dinner and cocktails from 5pm daily. THE BAR at The Whaling Station has its own menu and its own local following, with drink specials and lively conversation served nightly. Parking in our private lot. A private banquet room is available.
Bakersfield, California
“Excellent in every way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The concierge at our hotel said the Whaling Station was the place to go if you were looking for a good steak. My husband is a huge steak fan, so we took the concierge's advice! Surprisingly my husband chose the lamb chops rather than a steak and he was very pleased. I had the prime rib and it was outstanding. Our server was well informed and attentive. We will be back the next time we visit Monterey!

Visited July 2013

California
“Top notch steak house”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Congratulations...one of the best steak meals we've had. Wonderful service (especially our waiter, Jum). Very knowledgeable, friendly, and accommodating. We were a party of 4 and all of our steaks were cooked to perfection. I heard their seafood was just as delicious. The chef was hands on, frequently visiting our table to see if everything was perfect. The busboy (in our case, bus lady) was very attentive. Best of all, though pricey, it was not outrageous. Valet parking was extremely helpful as street parking in this area is very difficult to find.

San Jose, California
“Whaling Station Has Improved!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

It has been a few years since we have dined here. The last time food was so so at best. The wine we ordered has gone bad ( the waiter tried 3 bottles and all were goners) , bad storage????
~ six months ago they started to dry age their steaks. They are not cheap but the taste & tenderness is fantastic. And it was cooked correctly! The bottle of wine we ordered they were out of but the waiter recommended one and it was good. We will be back!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Best. Steak. Ever.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Surprised at some of the negative reviews here. My wife and I have eaten at some of the best restaurants in the world and we both agreed that the food here was fantastic. We had the 90-day air dried rib (it's an off-menu cut) and it was genuinely the best steak we've ever had. It's pricey at $115 but it was definitely worth it. Our water was excellent and the starters and dessert matched up to the main. Having written this, I've started salivating and am contemplating making a reservation for tonight...

Monterey, California
“sometimes great sometimes not”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I really like eating here, but I have to admit I have not been in for a while due to some bad service. My steak wasn't done correctly. Rather than make a fresh one it was put under the broiler to cook it longer which totally changed the flavor of their normally excellent steaks. It was pretty awkward because I frequent this place a lot and felt I deserved better. They always say if you have an issue send it back, but they don't apparently mean it, and this was from the manager not a server. I was disappointed and feel so awkward I don't feel like going back to a normally wonderful place to eat.

• Visited February 2013