“What a find!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Jackson, Mississippi, United States
“What a find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

This is a hidden gem of a restaurant that has quietly ended and is the inside must try place right now. We were suggested this by the hotel concierge as a nice surprise place and it was. A menu hat changes seasonally with Mediterranean / Middle East infused dishes now. Delicious lamb and pasta dishes, fresh greens and grains deliciously seasoned. It is in part of Monterey not part of the downtown so you really have to see it and taste it to believe it but it is great!

Visited September 2013

Tel Aviv, Israel
“Great food and a very nice ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Alan continues to excel at delivering dishes that are artistic and very satisfying. We have had several great dinners here in the past few months, but the one the other night was a knockout. He used a Charlie Trotter technique of slow roasting fish so that the proteins do not mesh up tightly but stay loosely packed rather like a custard. So when the hot fish hits your mouth it simply falls apart in juicy splendor. Now some people find this a bit offputting (I can remember my own first experience) but if you like fish you will like this technique. And Alan hit it out of the park. I won't gush about the scallops with pork belly (enough said), or the short ribs, or the pannacotta with spiced peaches, or.....

Of course I should also pat Kim and Frederic on the back for the front of the house with Jose and the team for a very professional service effort. Great wine list, reasonably priced.

This is a very nice place for some very good food and you don't have to spend a fortune to eat very well.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
SF Bay area
“DElicious & DElightful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

SO happy to welcome this wonderful restaurant to Monterey. What a gem on all fronts. The chef, staff & owner have created an inventive menu with unusual faire. Invariably the dishes have complex flavors & spices. The Short Ribs were so delectable my husband ordered them twice. We have tried many of the dishes on the menu and loved virtually all of them. From the watermelon + feta salad to the roasted corn ravioli, and the lamb & caesar salad; it has all been amazing. Even the oil and vinegar bread dip so delicious one dunks and scours out every drop. The only dish that disappointed was the quinoa salad; it was rather bland. It might make a good compliment to a more highly flavored dish, but on it's own it lacks flavor. All dishes are presented appealingly; one can barely wait to pick up the fork. I agree with another reviewer, the menu is limited, but I would far rather have fewer dishes well prepared and presented than a more massive selection with mediocre results. Every element of every selection is well thought out for maximum flavor. The wait staff is polite, efficient, service oriented, and friendly. If asked they give good guidance on making selections. The ambiance is warm and welcoming and appealing. I am drooling at the thought of discovering yet another delicious dish. Yum ! And Welcome to Monterey; we needed you.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Carmel, California
“What a Surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

The renaissance for Monterey to be upgrading North Fremont is officially happening. First there was The Monterey Cookhouse and then Mundo's Cafe - both wonderful return to restaurants. Now, down the street and across the street from the pool supply store and the Quik Stop is The Market Restaurant. It is amazing and a total surprise given the location.
My wife had already been there and spoke very highly of her lunch - maybe I didn't listen very closely because I went in my Saturday bum around clothes and instantly felt underdressed. This is a beautiful, elegant room that totally caught me off guard but in a wonderful way. On a Wednesday at 12:30, the other customers were very nicely dressed as would be appropriate to the setting - they knew something I didn't. It's not that the restaurant requires dressing up, but it suits the experience.
Oh, and the food matches the ambiance. Our lunch was delicious. First warm bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar as a dip, a nice, and very responsible wine list with all the by-the-glass selections under $10.00, and many at $5.00. and then lunch. My wife's hamburger was flavorful and perfectly cooked - topped with, get this, pork belly instead of bacon.
I ordered their take on a BLT. They add an A and another T - avocado and tuna. I asked for the tuna on the side as a concession to sharing with my wife. I anticipated a nice scoop of tuna salad on the sandwich. Ha! The sandwich came with the sandwich and an amazing piece of tuna, seasoned and cooked just right. The tuna would have been on the sandwich but I loved it onto itself and felt like I had two dishes. This tuna would have been an entree size serving - at dinner - in many of the fine restaurants in Carmel or Pebble Beach, and probably twice the price. In addition, the sandwiches both came with a choice of one of three sides - fries, salad or sweet potato fries - perfect.
That was it - too full for dessert. This is another return to dining experience. It's price point tops the Monterey Cookhouse (middle) and Mundos (least expensive of the three), but they now form a perfect range of dining experiences in the area.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Polk City, Florida
“Great ambiance, limited menu, wow! desserts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I didn't know what to expect, but figured there would be something I'd like at this "Mediterranean" restaurant. I lost, but others in my party of 7 won out. They especially liked a beet (golden beets) salad, pork loin with kale, but the thought of kale turned me off. I was hoping for a great lamb dish, but all they had was a Lebanese Meatball appetizer, so I combined it, French Onion Soup, and a Caesar Salad in lieu of an entree. The meatballs were uninteresting, the soup superb, the salad not so much. I wish now I had forgone the main meal and concentrated on the desserts. There were an apple cake a la mode with a bourbon sauce of some kind, a creme brulee, and a flourless chocolate cake with raspberries and whipped cream at our table, and we shared. The apple cake was declared the winner, but all were excellent.

The restaurant is small, with (to me) a pleasant hubub of happy customers, but some in our party thought it noisy. The owner, apparently, worked the entire room, and was very attentive. We spent a little over $220 for dinner, including a couple bottles of wine, and we all agreed it was a bargain. I recommend it highly, but would advise you to have a look at the menu online to ensure there's something you'd like. OOPS! -- it's not online. Take a chance.

• Visited August 2013