“Perfect spot for lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Cary, il
“Perfect spot for lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My wife and I ate here twice in the five days we were in the area. My expectations for the touristy Fisherman's Warf were not high, but we felt we had to have a little crab while we were here. This place exceed all expectations. The sevice was excellent with a very attentive staff. On the second day we were here we were also presented with a free appetizer, excellent fried artichoke. Everything we had here was spot on. The crab, ahi poke, smoked salmon and steamed shrimp were all great. On our second visit we had a very nice bottle of white wine for only $15. After looking a some of the prices at the many other restaurants on the pier, this was a great value also. If you are in the area and looking for a great lunch or dinner this is a great choice.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

86% Recommend
San Francisco, California
“Great, rustic restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

After a great whale watching tour with Princess Monterey Whale Watching, we stopped into The Grotto for a late lunch and had a great experience. Avoiding the parent restaurant, Old Fisherman's Grotto across the street was definitely a good choice. They serve simple seafood that is great. My husband devoured both his and my specialty clam chowder and loved his half lobster dish. I had the half crab, which was fantastic on its own without the butter sauce and the highlight was the 6 large shrimp that also came with the dish. We also loved the fresh sourdough bread. The wine isn't fantastic, but the drinks are very reasonably priced. Overall, it was a fun experience digging into our seafood and we had great service during our leisurely lunch. This was the best food and experience we had in Monterey Bay. Definitely recommended.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Jersey
“Food fits the bill!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

I normally avoid places where their menu is plastic wrapped. We ventured in here a Monday night because except for the table we got , the place was full. This place is not great for its food.....it's great because of the extremely friendly and super efficient staff....you completely forget what is on your plate in front of you. Dannica is a gem here and I hope the owner of this joint acknowledges how fortunate he/she is to have her. She pats the customers on the shoulder, chats and at the same time takes orders,serves food,clears tables, gives out checks....gives orders in the kitchen if something seems to be missing..ALL with a smile to eeeevvvveeerybboddyyyy staff and customers alike. My husband and I had such a great time watching how she clearly ran the place.....probably without even knowing it herself. Will go back....not so much for the food but it is nice to feel welcome.

Visited August 2013
Portland, OR
“Is this The Grotto, or Kokomo's? Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This place looks like The Grotto Fish Market outside, but inside it seems to be something else once your inside like Kokomo's island-style? I had high hopes but wasn't impressed. The menu is limited to basically different variations of shrimp, crab, lobster, and clam chowder. Which doesn't sound bad, but I had a hard time finding something on the menu that was really appealing. My husband asked for hot drink choices, and was only offered hot sake, no tea available, etc. It's cold on the Wharf, hot drinks are nice on a cold windy evening. I ate about half my chowder and half of the seafood topped salad. My husband had a lobster and liked it. If you're dressed casual and not needing anything special, this is fine. For a special romantic night, something next door like Isabella's is more impressive.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vallejo, California
“Delicious calamari dish, delectable dessert, great food at Old Fisherman's Grotto”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This is a great place to eat lunch , dinner or in between meals. The food is delicious and the service is great. I especially enjoy the fried , crunchy calamari. I do think they have the best fried calamari from Calif to Hawaii. The seafood and steak dishes are excellent. I travel 2 hrs to enjoy the food at The Grotto , enjoy the oceanview dining and take a stroll at the wharf. Their dessert is really yummy.

• Visited February 2013