“You want a Hilton, then pay for it.” 4 of 5 stars

Del Monte Pines
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1298 Munras Avenue, Monterey, CA 93940   |
Ranked #11 of 12 Monterey B&B and Inns
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“You want a Hilton, then pay for it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2007

I just want everyone to know this. I have looked at the many reviews of this motel. My wife and I stay in Monterey twice a year and this is the best deal in town, hands down. If you look at the reviews from a few years ago, the building was very bad. The current owner has made vast improvements. It is never going to be a Hilton and if that is what you are looking for, then you need to stay at one. Of course you are going to pay four or five times the rate you get here.
Our stay here has been just fine. The rooms are clean. The staff friendly. The location nice. Last week just before the Pro-am there were cars from all over the country in the parking lot. . So it's not as bad as some have made it out to be. Honest.
Now I don't want to get into this too much, but, I do not do wal-mart. As travelers, we can stay at Corporate owned locations, or Mom and Pop run establishments. I would much rather pay a small business man myself. Enough said on that.
Since our stay last year, the rooms are all completed with their makeover. The pool has been removed. The parking lot has been repaved. It is my understanding that the upper deck walkway is next on the list of repairs.
For my money, I stay here.

• Liked — price/rate
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2007

I needed a room just for a one night stay. I work in Monterey and live in Salinas, which is about a 30 min. drive home. I had a company party to attend that Monday, and decided just to get a cheap room for myself, instead of driving back to Salinas, and going back to Monterey to get to work by 10AM!

I read the reviews, and I totally thought it was going to be a complete DUMP. I didn't pay attention to it, because it was only for the one night anyway. No biggie!...but honestly, my stay caught me by surprise. The hotel is pretty small itself, probably only 50 rooms or so. It looks OK from the outside. It's off a busy street called Munras Ave, so if your room is closer to the road, you will get street noise during the day. It's on a street where all the little Inn's, Motels, and Super 8's are located. Again, not expecting anything "fancy" since I got a pretty good rate on a Monday at $45. The front desk agent, who I think was the owner too, was very polite and pleasant when I arrived to check in. When I got to the room, I was pretty shocked. The bed was made nice, very lovely linens too. The bed is quite comfy I must add. He also upgraded me to a room with a fireplace, which I believe would be $25-$30 more. I guess based on thier availibility I got one of the better rooms. The room had all the right necessities. However, no hairdryers (which I needed)-but that was my fault. But other than that, clean towes, microwave, fridge, AC(which is uncommon in this town-not all hotels, even MAJOR hotels have AC-it doesnt get "too hot" in Monterey they say.), also the bathroom was completely remodeled with marbled floored, and quite nice. The fireplace was just the icing on the cake. Very lovely room. Little things like toiletries just need an upgrade. But overall I would recommend this hotel to anybody. My friend who actually stayed there in 2005 told me it was a complete dump, but after seeing my hotel room, she was pretty amazed too.

Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2006

My husband and I are traveling cross country and were very pleased with the accomodations at Del Monte Pines. Our room was very clean and recently redecorated with tasteful furniture, paint, and bath tile in the bathroom and came with wifi access, microwave, refrigerator, and a tub/shower combo (tub is preferred by me for long soaks after a days outing (room #20). We had researched hotel options in advance through [----], but did not book as we like to actually see a property with our own eyes before hand. Mike, the hotel manager, gave us a rate that was even a little less than Expedia ($50 and change including tax which is a great price for highly desireable Monterey, CA). We are traveling with two bicycles and Mike, was very accomodating in providing us with info on the best bike route directions and maps to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and wharf. He had good restaurant and local market recommendations too, and he even provided us a locked location to store our bikes overnight. We highly recommend this motel.

• Liked — Excellent Value
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Roseville, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2006

When our 'usual spot' in nearby Pacific Grove couldn't accomodate us, it was with 'some trepidation' that we picked Del Monte Pines for 'the first time'. The 'mixed reviews' on TripAdvisor.com were 'a bit disquieting'. We were pleasantly surprised that the 'worst reviews' were WAY off the mark. This is an 'older' two-story motel (circa 1960), but has recently had 'lots' of improvement in it's cosmetics and amenities. The 'dusty rose' and 'plum' interior paint scheme is 'different', but not 'overpowering. The bath facilities have been recently renewed and clean as a whistle. The room carpet was clean and looked fairly new. The Western King mattress was 'firm' (not 'hard'), and fairly new as well. Included in the room was: cable TV, mini-fridge, small microwave, hair dryer and coffee maker AND a gas fireplace, along with a small built-in electric room heater. The only negative: a little traffic noise from busy Munras Ave that pretty much stopped after 9 PM. Nice manager, good room, very good value for the 'pricey' Monterey Peninsula. We would stay there again. "30-year veteran Monterey visitors"

• Liked — Price, in-room amenities
  • Disliked — traffic noise, some plumbing noise
  • Tips/Secrets — The Manager, Mac, is bright, accomodating and worth talking with for local information.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2006

The staff was very friendly and the room was clean. Not many motels offer a jacuzzi tub, fireplace, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and continental breakfast for under $100 a night. However, it's important for people to know that the jacuzzi tub is also where you shower; therefore there's no privacy other than a shower curtain. We also found the bed to be hard and the pillows flat. But, that could have just been the case for the room we stayed in. The toiletries such as soap and toilet paper could use an upgrade, too. Other than that, it was a good deal for what we paid and would consider staying here again.

Stayed October 2006
seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2006

the pictures are misleading, the owners are from another country and do not understand what it takes to please the general public. They were rude and tried to keep our money when we decided to get better accomodations. The pool was a mudhole, next to the "beverage center" an old coke machine in the parking lot. Travelocity also was a bad rep for this dump as we had to have our credit card company go after them to get our money back.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bristol, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

We stayed here for one night while traveling down the coast.

The hotel was easier to find and the staff seemed very nice. We stayed on the ground floor and as such you don't get much privacy.

The room itself was clean and well kept. There were nice thick curtain which help for a good nights sleep. The king size bed was nice and comfy

There was a fridge in the room which was a bit noisy and the plumbing was also on the loud side.

The breakfast is very basic, Coffe, Orange juice, Bananas and bits of cake that you pick up in reception and take back to the room. The cake was very nice though and means you don't need to go looking for food as soon as you leave the hotel.

Overall for a basic cheap stay for a short period of time I would recommend this hotel. I would have liked to have been a little closer to town (20-30 min walk out) however this was my fault for not checking the map before I came.

They did have a pool in the corner of the car park but I understand they are removing this and replacing it with a spa tub and additional parking.

If you stay here I would suggest asking for a room on the 1st floor.

Stayed September 2006

Been to Del Monte Pines? Share your experiences!